It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK food you can eat when you get hold of it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
OK food you can eat when you get hold of it.

Like it say's on the tin... I'm not really talking to all you end of the worlder's with the basement full of AK's and seeds.

When I walk in to a shop or some other place with food on shelves - I know most things in tins should be fine to eat without any cooking.

Please add to this knowledge in this thread.

Spank you

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Seriously?????
Everything you can find in a tin is edible, the question being------how many thousands will have gotten it before you? Are you willing to fight for it?
Kill for it???
Simply, for volume, a case or dozen of ramen noodles, a box of multi-vitamins, and a case or 3 of meat---canned chicken and such----should get you through a few months of desperation.
After that you are in the realm of survivalist.
A gun, a thousand rounds of ammo, and a stock of seeds can be had for cheap.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

If I was preparing for not being able to live in my home there would be a few things I would like pre stored and hidden away, id be planning to hide for the rest of my life and live off the land
Seeds seeds and more seeds can’t get enough seeds
All tin foods= include fruit and jams
Long life products= milk, custards, sauces, baby foods and remember lots of honey it never goes off
Powdered products= milk, eggs, flour, sugar, corn/maize, gravy, herbs, drinks, onion ect
Dried products= fruit, nuts, cereals, noodles, pastas, rice, ect
Soft package form = stews, rice, pasta, noodles heat n serve or just eat there are many products out there now packaged in soft form similar to tin foods
And remember vinegar lots of vinegar you can always preserve
Medicines bandages disinfectants along with a first aid book all in waterproof bags
Knitting needles sewing needles and basic how to books
Knifes, sharpening stones, ropes, rabbit traps (let’s hope mixo hasn’t totally wiped all the bunnies)
Fishing line, hooks, ect
If I think of more ill add it this is just off the top of my head

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
1) Find someone who sells chickens
1a) Buy chickens
1b) Buy rooster

2) Find someone who sells dried chicken feed
2a) Buy lots of dried chicken feed

3) Raise chickens
3a) Eat eggs for sustenance

4) Breed more chickens when they get too old
4a) Eat old chickens before they die

5) Repeat cycle.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

haha Kaytagg... ur signature seriously goes with your post. niceee!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
1) Find someone who sells chickens
1a) Buy chickens
1b) Buy rooster

2) Find someone who sells dried chicken feed
2a) Buy lots of dried chicken feed

3) Raise chickens
3a) Eat eggs for sustenance

4) Breed more chickens when they get too old
4a) Eat old chickens before they die

5) Repeat cycle.

I think you might be on too something there friend.
BTW, your AVATAR makes me laugh every time I see it, Priceless. I would like that pic on a t shirt and walk in to a church.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

Oh you guys are all so apocalyptic!
- (god bless you for it)...

Nah this is the situation where your simply down on your luck and 'urban scavenging' for food, which if you think about it would naturally give you a much higher energy return for your effort expenditure, hunting or foraging can be hit and miss, and in a built up area you would probably look out of place - maybe you don't want to draw that sort of attention.

No, the scenario is your down on your luck, simple as, no Russians on the horizon, no lethal spores drifting in the breeze, you don't glow in the dark and every one other than you is happy and going about their lives!

So all I'm after is inventive ways to fill your belly from 'urban scavenging' - For instance I would happily eat the contents of a tin that was months out of date (depending on the contents of course) - but should I find some cold meats that are a week out of date should I risk it? - Smoked makerel can be eaten cold, how rotten can fruit get before it's really bad for you? - Smelly milk - risk it? - Pet food?

Your hungry here man! - Water shouldn't really be a problem in a town but you gotta fill your belly some how - you might be picking through restaurant bins hobo style, would you lower your self? - Steal candy froma baby!?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Ooh a scenario this will be fun

Behind the big supermarket chains they have huge bins full of vegetables. Go in the back of every take out shop they do the same, cabbage leaves, carrot peeling ect ect
1: scavenge the bins
2: wash the findings
3: make soup
Since you have water and any half wit pyro can start a fire

Yum what time is dinner ?

As you walk about town or the suburbs keep note on a visitor guide map you took from the town information desk, there free to take, you won’t be stealing, yet. Now mark on the map any fruit trees and the best garbage bins you come across and any alfresco dining areas, there’s always leftovers as people are hungry and always order more than they need, their eyes are bigger than their belly.
Happy bumming…oh and if you happen to find any loose change, id horde it to help pay for the injections and creams you’re going to need, not mention de-lice shampoo.

[edit on 6/1/10 by Whateva69]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

all canned food tens to be microwave friendly, so your safe eating raw. There is no reason you can't heat it up over a fire though. Anything not canned will be eaten by animals, and your going to have a bad time.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by mosesgunner]

top topics

join