It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal And State Partners To Test National Emergency Alert System In Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I was surprised to read about this on Drudge Report and FEMA's website. I have seen, and heard, plenty of emergency broadcast system tests, but don't remember reading publicity of them by FEMA and other mainstream news sites.

The Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the State of Alaska, and the Alaska Broadcasters’ Association will conduct a statewide exercise of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) in Alaska on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2010, at 10 a.m. local time (2 p.m. ET).

Radio and television broadcast stations and cable television systems across the State of Alaska will participate in the exercise aimed at testing the capabilities of the EAS system. With the help of the Alaska Broadcasters Association, public service announcements informing the public about the test were distributed to television and radio stations on Dec. 21, 2009.

“Periodically exercising our communications capabilities is an important step to ensure that we, as a country, are prepared for an emergency,” said FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate. “This is only a test, but it also serves as an important reminder that just as our federal, tribal, state and local teams are taking steps to be prepared, so should families across our country. Families can log onto Ready.gov to learn the few simple steps they can take to be prepared for an emergency.”
www.fema.gov...

Is such advanced publicity normal and to be expected? Don't mean to seem so paranoid and conspiratorial, but I don't ever remember seeing any warnings of these emergency broadcast tests, ever.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
They've been advertising this for a couple weeks now, there calling it a "Stop and chill drill" so people don't think its real, because apparently the TV will show that something horrible enough to cause an instant national emergency has happened, while the audio says this is just a test.

i am sure it will freak a few people out.

side note: i thought it was being done everywhere in the country, is it just Alaska?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
They've been advertising this for a couple weeks now, there calling it a "Stop and chill drill" so people don't think its real, because apparently the TV will show that something horrible enough to cause an instant national emergency has happened, while the audio says this is just a test.

i am sure it will freak a few people out.

side note: i thought it was being done everywhere in the country, is it just Alaska?

According to the FEMA website, it is only being conducted in Alaska. I like the catchy phrase, "Stop and chill drill."

Keep us updated after the test drill if you would. I'd be interested to hear a locals perspective.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have been seeing/hearing these more often lately. For instance, one just occurred on NPR about 3 minutes ago. Do they have to test them quarterly? Anyone work or know anyone in that part of the .. uh.. I guess it's an industry.. that knows what the requirements are?

new topics

top topics

join