France to introduce new law banning 'psychological violence' in marriages

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

France to introduce new law banning 'psychological violence' in marriages

www.dailymail.co .uk

Married couples in France could end up with criminal records for insulting each other during arguments

It would cover men who shout at their wives and women who hurl abuse at their husbands - although it was not clear last night if nagging would be viewed as breaking the law.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I was really surprised a government is actually doing this. Apparently France isn't afraid of paving the way in terms of social issues. How can any of these charges amount to any more than "he said/she said"?
The fact is this is just another way in which public funding and policy is going towards people's feelings not getting hurt and frankly it makes me sick.
Pretty soon I'll need a lawyer beside me to post on ATS.

www.dailymail.co .uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Doesn't cheating on ones spouse imply a pyschological offense to the one cheated on?

What about emotional neglect?

While I agree the verbal abuse is a negative and unproductive way to communicate with ones loved one, it does seem that the 'criminalization' of the symptoms of our ill educated and reactive populace is becoming more and more intrusive and involves a complete lack of focus and communication of the reasons why these behavioural symptoms occur.

What a strange world we live in...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yea3h? What about this? Does this constitute an offense?

If done properly, it could really put some panties in a bunch!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I'm against the entire premise that society should be structured to accomodate the easily offended. This ideology has been a huge factor behind the obviously-rampant PC movement that seems to be running western culture as a whole.
The law wont be in effect for six months, so we'll have to wait until after that to see how it will be enforced.
Sometimes one person in a relationship will bring another to anger through insults or derogatory terms to simply get back at them. Will the caue of the slurs be used as a defence for hurling the insults? What about that time of the month? What about the influence of alcohol or a tough day at work? Temporary insanity?? Hopefully it will turn into one of those laws that is largely ignored.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 517.101

How dare you!!!
Encouraging terrorism and (psychological) warfare!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Well, that’s just the Daily Mail trivialising something quite important. It isn’t about calling someone a name in a normal scrap. There are many forms of domestic violence and the most insidious is psychological violence where you cannot see the bruises, yet can be beaten to a pulp every single day with no repercussions. It is about the real psychological damage caused by years of constant mental violence, badgering, criticising, controlling, demeaning and devaluing your very existence. If you have never experienced this, it is worse than most physical violence…indescribably damaging to the soul. It is like a knife being turned and a boot stamping on your head every day, except you never know when that blade is going into your heart…and you don’t know why, either. The trauma from living like that is as bad as being in a war zone…and the stress implications are vast.
I can’t see how they are going to be able to prove any of this…but I think I heard that proof from therapists etc would probably be acceptable as evidence…although I may have imagined that.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by oneclickaway

Well the fact that there is such a thing as divorce kind of negates the importance of such a law. If you are struggling in your marriage and feel controlled then there is always the option to leave.
I've experienced this in my childhood first hand.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Fair enough. No more psychological bullying in marriage

But the one I'm waiting for

is the law banning psychological bullying

and FEARMONGERING

via POLITICS

yeah. and I think I'll be waiting a long time

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The spiders will spin their webs to catch food. Laws are spiderwebs for the rich. The mega rich dont use the police cuz their smart.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Depending on how this gets enforced, I can see the law itself as being a source of psychological warfare.
This law has equal potential to be abused by both sides so it could get interesting.

will the threat of calling the cops for a fabricated altercation be a form of psychological abuse?
I just can't get over how out of touch these idiots must be to think they can police everyday human interaction.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by heyo]

XL5

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Its just an excuse to make a larger and larger percent of the population guilty of something and make them ethier revolt or become PC and hide who they really are (like a bandaid). If they really wanted to stop the abuse, just make a drug or technology that makes women think like men, for the the times they lack of "proper" communication.

IMO, men think logically first and emotionally second and women think emotionally first and for a lot longer and then when the argument gets going, they become alot more logical in an evil genius way. If they have no grounds and the logic doesn't work, they will NEED to win one way or another.

For example: the woman wants attention, so she says "honey, don't you think the TV is too loud?". The man thinks, "no,if it was too loud, I would turn it down, thats a silly question...oh crap how do I answer that???". Then he thinks, "lie and say yes and I'll get hell, tell the truth and say no and get punished for the truth?...or submit and turn it down". If he does submit she will still be mad at him because he still has not given her that attention. In the end, all she had to do is wait or sit beside him.

Men could also just drop everything as soon as she nags and hold her and say, "honey, whats wrong" but men don't think like that. If they do, its before the wedding and when you hit them over the head with tears.

Maybe mindreading helmets would bring world peace starting at the home.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Perhaps this wouldn't be necessary if the legal system was practiced in a different way:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
There is also supposed to be electronic monitoring. Does that mean the French government is installing audio and video surveillance into people's homes? So, you get into a fight with your spouse, and the government is now monitoring your home, and spying on you. Sounds very scary.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by oneclickaway
reply to post by heyo

Well, that’s just the Daily Mail trivialising something quite important. It isn’t about calling someone a name in a normal scrap. There are many forms of domestic violence and the most insidious is psychological violence where you cannot see the bruises, yet can be beaten to a pulp every single day with no repercussions. It is about the real psychological damage caused by years of constant mental violence, badgering, criticising, controlling, demeaning and devaluing your very existence. If you have never experienced this, it is worse than most physical violence…indescribably damaging to the soul. It is like a knife being turned and a boot stamping on your head every day, except you never know when that blade is going into your heart…and you don’t know why, either. The trauma from living like that is as bad as being in a war zone…and the stress implications are vast.
I can’t see how they are going to be able to prove any of this…but I think I heard that proof from therapists etc would probably be acceptable as evidence…although I may have imagined that.

So when is this going to be included as Child Abuse??

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
this is almost as bad as the blasphemy law in ireland. i just hope these measures don't get implemented in the whole EU, but i doubt they wont. these people really think that the horses they're sitting on really are high, don't they?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Given all the evidence of Major Depression Disorder and other levels of depression, this new french law may be well advised in effort of application and legislation.

The number one competitor against such a law is obviously Big Pharma. They surely wouldn't want evidence to build up that would reverse the effects of 'depression' upon them.

EDIT: note, we may just resolve drugs that makes words hurt as not a hoax

[edit on 1-3-2010 by dzonatas]

exclusive video

new topics
top topics

join