It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Concerned With Climate Change Models’ Effect On Food Production

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
During last night's Coast to Coast AM with George Noory (1/4/09), there was mention with a remote viewer about the severity of a looming global food crisis. George mentioned that people need to take this very serious and start storing food.

Initially, I didn't put much credence into this (even though I have been storing food to last several months), until I read this article today:

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack wants to review the climate change analysis after the EPA released a model showing how food production could decrease as farmers and ranchers take advantage of emission credits according to MeatingPlace.com.

The EPA is using the FASOM model which projects an increase in crop prices as farmers convert farmland to forests over the next 40 years. The estimated land conversion could total up to 59 million acres over that time.

Vilsack wants to update the FASOM model to develop options that avoid unintended consequences for agriculture and food production stemming from climate change legislation. He says the current model raises concern within the farm community about the number of acres converted to forest which would result in lower crop production.

In addition to reviewing the model, Vilsack wants Congress to consider the needs of agriculture moving forward with climate change legislation.

"As other recent analyses have shown, there are opportunities to expand greenhouse gas offsets and biomass energy production without removing significant amounts of land from production…careful design of the offsets program will be important in order to avoid unintended consequences," Vilsack said. "In addition to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, I strongly believe that energy and climate legislation should be structured to help farmers profit from new income opportunities and that an outcome that damages agriculture is not anyone's intent or interest."
www.cattlenetwork.com... S_&aid=760

This story was also cited at UrbanSurvival.com

new topics

join