It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If ever there is a war draft, I will humbly refuse to answer the call.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sgrrsh26

Let me first say that under normal circumstances, I will read each and every post before replying. However, I feel that this issue is cut-and-dry, so to speak.

I am a soldier. I have been for the last ten years on active duty. I 100% support your right to not be a soldier. Unfortunately i've seen first hand how sometimes love does not conquer all, and how sometimes the bad guy doesnt stop when you tell him to and so cannot afford to be a pacifist.

But in our great Nation, that of humanity, forcing the will of the majority on any minority (the smallest minority being the Individual) is tantamount to slavery; which is the polar opposite of Liberty. So if that day comes again, know that regardless of public support or opinion - You have the courage of a Lion to stand up for what you believe is right.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by blood0fheroes

First, Thank you for your service.. I agree with you that Serving in the military or not serving, should be an individuals personal choice.

I do not agree with a draft, If a person for whatever reason decides to willfully Join the military, (any military) that means that at that particular moment they did it of thier own free will. Thus thier attitude is much differant than a person being forced to join,or go to jail, or actually being killed right then..(trying to cover all possibilities of refusing military conscription)

I am a Vet. I chose to serve, and after my original active duty enlistment was up, I still had several years of "inactive ready reserve time" left.

And before that obligation was over I was "recalled" put into a differant MOS.(job) retrained and deployed.. Was this the military's fault?? no... I signed a contract, I gave my word that I would honor it.. the military fullfilled all its obligations of that contract. So as far as I was concerned I was obligated to fullfill my part of the contract, even if I did not care for it..

To anyone thinking of joining the military, think on it very hard, it is not always a cake walk, it is not just a job, you can not give a two week notice and walk away...

To those who choose not to join the military. that is both your perogative and your right!! at least in the U.S. And I truly hope that will never change!! I always have, and always will support that right..

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
As a veteran, I can recall the draft in the late 60's and early 70's. Back in those days refusing to serve took on noble reasons which many supported. You could burn your draft card and move to Canada if you were really that against any involvement in illegal wars and you could avoid the long arm of the government because most would assist you or hide you for noble reasons having to do with being against an unjust war. Times have changed since then and therein lies the big difference.

By today's standards, anyone that refuses to serve will probable lose the ability to seek employment, open a bank account, receive medical health care coverage, rent an apartment or house, go to college and or travel within the USA and abroad without being discovered and incarcerated. You may not be allowed to do anything as a way of inducing you into compliance.

I still believe that individuals should be allowed to make up their own minds, but in today's world, refusal to serve can have serious consequences that have yet to be fully disclosed to the public. As such if you think you will refuse to serve, then you better be able to deal with not being able to use the banks, seek employment, rent a room or apartment, travel and or receive health care services because once you refuse to serve, the system is going to ensure that your refusal does not go unchallenged.

In today's technological world, refusal takes on a whole new meaning. As such, you better have a better approach to refusal than the Viet Nam era veterans because there will be no place to hide for long and if the government wont let you leave the USA then it implies you are going to illegally cross the border into some other country and in doing so you will become an illegal immigrant that will also be limited as to what you can do and where you can do it.

Keep your spirits up, but think outside the box, because your failure to do so will land you in a prison doing hard labor with a huge six figure fine that will ensure you are a slave to the nation for longer than you would have served in the first place. Lastly, with no means to speak up for yourself while you are incarcerated, the nation will brand you as un-American and will endeavor to brand as such long after you leave prison.

Anyway, think it out thoroughly because your failure to do so will forever impact your life in the most negative way you could ever imagine. While there may exist ways to legally get out of draft service, it would benefit you and others to understand what it means to be "qualified to serve" and what disqualifies someone to serve. Good luck and take your approach into the administrative arena to better understand your options of refusing legally and within the rules designed for the public draftees being considered and the rules that the government has to obey as part of that draft system process. Sometimes the answer that alludes us can be found in the administrative details. Look at the rules and regulations to find your approach because when you find it, you will have found the only means by which to refuse without making waves for yourself,family and friends.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
all i have to say is that i am active military and i dont want to serve by anyone who HAS no choice in it

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

If National Service was to be brought in New Zealand the situation would be such that the presumable peril from a invasion by China would have meant that most able body persons would have enlisted already . All the would be draft dodgers are full of hot air because they under estimate the difficulties of doing such a thing .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Do you think under the circumstances that you just alluded to, That a "draft" would be needed in New Zealand? (Serious question, no sarcasm)

I ask because despite all we have "learned" about WW2, here in the U.S the draft was initiated because WW2 was not really all that popular of a war. at the time..

What I mean is, the public opinion,(even after Pearl Harbor) was only 30-40 percent in favor of getting into it. and in the first couple years it went steadily down..

[edit on 10-1-2010 by SideWynder]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eddieb135

I truely agree with you, And thank you for your service, although you did not specify what military you serve.You still have my respect and appreciation, for serving.(even if you are serving against my country you still have my respect) the appreciation you can forget about... LOL

[edit on 10-1-2010 by SideWynder]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Note to the reader I am addressing the points raised rather then making any future predictions .

Originally posted by SideWynder

Do you think under the circumstances that you just alluded to, That a "draft" would be needed in New Zealand? (Serious question, no sarcasm)

It could well be if the peril was akin to threat from Japan during 1942 or greater . A Northern Island type situation that was country wide could also merit National Service .

I ask because despite all we have "learned" about WW2, here in the U.S the draft was initiated because WW2 was not really all that popular of a war. at the time..

Well it was a differnt world back then once war broke out people got behind there country even when the going got tough .

[edit on 11-1-2010 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Yeah man.
The draft is going to teach a lot of people to get the job done instead of just listening to their ipod and texting all day.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Actually what I was trying to say was, The U.S had to initiate the draft during WW2, because of the fact that NOT ENOUGH people were signing up,
though now "history" makes it seem as though everyone in the U.S. was 100% behind the "War effort" that was not exactly true.. the approval rating for getting into WW2 was not even a majority..(as far as public opinion went)..

That is why I asked if you thought a draft would be needed. Or do you think enough people would volunteer to fight, that a draft could be avoided?

Ane thank you for taking the time to answer..

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SideWynder

Sorry about the confusion . My feeling is that there would be enough volunteers until direct peril to New Zealand was removed . A draft would be needed if the war was going to continue beyond that point or the NZDF was to make anything other then a tiny contribution to a war in Europe . Any significant increase in the present size of the NZDF would also require some form of National Service .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

I thank you for your response.. I Hope that the situation never arises where you would have to worry about a draft. or invasion..

As I posted earlier, I have served in the U.S. military, and was called back into service, after my active duty time was completed.

To me it "felt" like I had been "drafted" lol.. So I can just imagine how a civilian, being "forced" into military service would feel.. I truly would not wish that on anyone..(although I do know quite a few vets. that were drafted, and they found that they actually loved the military)

That is not to say that I agree with the draft, I am just passing on an observation..

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm too old for the draft, however I have a nineteen year old that I plan to teach him how to speak Canadian. When one looks where we're fighting with rules of engagement that require that you get your head blown off before you can shoot & then are prosecuted for murder or other crimes when you get home, I say simply that they are not getting mine to be used as fodder to enrich their coffers, no matter what bogus false flag event is created to get into war.

ALBERT EINSTEIN
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join