It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Atlantis; Mystery in History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Now the "Land of the West" would be a natural Egyptian name for Atlantis. Ancient Egyptian records sometimes refer to the Atlantic as the "Western Ocean". Did Manetho translate "foreign land" from set, or even more probably from Amentet? In either case, we probably have ourselves a reference to Atlantis in the writings of Manetho. Both glyphs are often translated by Egyptologists as "underworld" (Budge, 1966), which may be misleading.

This is my first thread, bare with me. lol
I've been interested in Atlantis for a while now and the more I read, the more it loses it's mythological connotations and gains a more realistic meaning.
Its fantasy is inspiring and it's mystery is mind-numbing. Some place like this found could usher in a new belief in the old mysteries and possiblities. I could never count off a thing just because it's reputed to have never existed, every myth has a story to tell and a meaning perhaps greater than we can comprehend at the moment. Anyway, I just wanted to share my fascination with Atlantis. If you have something to add or say about it, go ahead, good or bad, it's all free speech. And by the by, check out the website I got that bit out of, it's a great read, the whole website, I urge it upon you all. lol

www.atlantisquest.com...

Let the love endure in you all

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There's a Polish guy who wrote a book on the history of the planet...who sez that legend has it that Easter Island used to be surrounded by lots more land and that it sunk.

I don't know if someone just made that up, but I think something like that could of happened while the earth was flooded...but if one does not believe in the flood, the point is then moot.

I think that lots of valuable info was lost in the fires at alexandria that had info on the pre-adamic world which according to my beliefs is about 2000yrs. and that a lot happened back then AND prior to the flood....of course, you'd have to believe in the flood....

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

of course, you'd have to believe in the flood....

It's hard to tell what happened to the Earth, so many ancient civilizations record a catastrophic flood happening, so it's not an isolated event. Hurts the brain sometimes lol

Imagine what knowledge is lost in time, angers me up that I can't know sometimes lol

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I am not an expert in the whole Atlantis controversy, but has Slayer has some interesting ideas on the subject, you may want to check out this thread by Slayer, it is quite interesting, and might help you in your research as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

< - - - Edit to add link to Slayer's thread- - - >

[edit on 1/5/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tantalus

May I suggest “The Destruction of Atlantis” by Frank Joseph. This is by far the most credible research to date as to the true Atlantis.

Also, have a look at the location Joseph correctly states – The Azores on Google Earth. It is easy to see the crater left by the volcano (which had a submerged magma bowl). The Azores are the mountain top remnants of the Atlantian island.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tantalus

Now the "Land of the West" would be a natural Egyptian name for Atlantis. Ancient Egyptian records sometimes refer to the Atlantic as the "Western Ocean". Did Manetho translate "foreign land" from set, or even more probably from Amentet? In either case, we probably have ourselves a reference to Atlantis in the writings of Manetho. Both glyphs are often translated by Egyptologists as "underworld" (Budge, 1966), which may be misleading.

budge on amenti [duat]:
Though nearly all Egyptologists agree about the meaning of the word being "the place of departed souls," yet it has been translated in various ways, different scholars locating the Tuat in different parts of creation. Dr. Brugsch and others place it under the earth, others have supposed it to be the space which exists between the arms of Shu and the body of Nut, but the most recent theory put forth is that it was situated neither above nor below the earth, but beyond Egypt to the north, from which it was separated by the mountain range which, as the Egyptians thought, supported the sky. The region of the Tuat was a long, mountainous, narrow valley with a river running along it; starting from the east it made its way to the north, and then taking a circular direction it came back to the east.

"These are they who are in the Land of Serser; 'they have received their bread, and they have gained the mastery over this Lake, and they praise this great god. Ra saith unto them:--'Eat ye your green herbs, and satisfy ye yourselves with your cakes; let there be fulness to your bellies, and satisfaction to your hearts. Your green herbs are of the Lake of Serser, the Lake which may not be approached. Praise ye me, glorify ye me, for I am the Great One of terror of the Tuat.' They say unto Ra:--'Hail to thee, O thou Great One of the SEKHEMU (i.e., Powers)! Praise is thine, and majesty is thine. The Tuat is thine, and [is subservient] to thy will; it is a hidden place [made] by thee for those who are in its Circles. The height of Heaven is thine, and [is subservient] to thy will; it is a secret place [made] by thee for those who belong thereto. The Earth is for thy dead Body, and the Sky is for thy Soul. O Ra, be thou at peace (or, be content) with that which thou hast made to come into being.' Their food consisteth of bread-cakes, their green herbs are the plants of the spring, and the waters wherein they refresh themselves are cool”

"These are they who make souls to have a right to the green herbs in the Lake of Serser. Ra saith unto them:--'[Hail, ye] divine sovereign princes of the gods, and ye chiefs of the Lake of Serser, who place souls over their green herbs, let them have dominion themselves over their bread; give ye your bread which is appointed, and bring ye your green herbs to the souls who have been ordered to exist in the Lake of Serser.' They say unto Ra:--'The bread appointed hath been and the green herbs have been brought to the divine souls whom thou hast ordered to exist in the Lake of Serser. Hail! Verily, the way is fair; for KHENTI-AMENTI praiseth thee, and those who dwell in TA-THENEN praise thee.' Their food is of bread-cakes, and their beer is the tchesert beer, and their libations are of cool water; and offerings are made unto them upon earth by those who are with TUI by the divine sovereign princes."

"Hail to thee, O thou Thigh which dwelleth in the northern heaven in the Great Lake, which art seen and which dieth not. I have stood up over thee when thou didst rise like a god. I have seen thee, and I have not lain down in death; I have stood over thee, and I have risen like a god. I have cackled like a goose, and I have alighted like a hawk by the divine clouds and by the great dew. I have journeyed from the earth to heaven. The god Shu--made--me to stand up, the god of Light hath made me to be vigorous by the two sides of the ladder, and the stars which never rest set--me--on--my--way and bring--me--away from slaughter. I bring along with me the things which drive back calamities as I advance over the passage of the god Pen; thou comest, how great art thou, O god Pen! I have come from the Pool of Flame which is in the Sekhet-Sasa--i.e., the Field of Fire.--Thou livest in the Pool of Flame in Sekhet-Sasa, and I live upon the staff of the hold--god. Hail, thou god Kaa, who dost bring those things which are in the boats by the . . . I stand up in the boat and I guide myself--over--the water: I have stood up in the boat and the god hath guided me. I have stood up. I have spoken.--I am master of the--crops. I sail round about as I go forward, and the gates which are in Sekhem--Letopolis--are opened unto me, and fields are awarded unto me in the city of Unni--Hermopolis--, and laborers (?) are given unto me together with those of my own flesh and bone."

as for set see its usage on the top right of the victory stele of sesosteris from buhen

he was according to herodotus the first to control all 4 of the pillars of the sky wasn't he?

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Parta]

top topics

join