It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dating Site For Beautiful People Expels "Fatties" After Holiday Weight Gain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Dating Site For Beautiful People Expels "Fatties" After Holiday Weight Gain

links.assetize.com

(CNN) -- A dating site that markets itself as an elite community for beautiful people with a "strict ban on ugly people" has axed about 5,000 members for packing on the pounds during the holiday season.
The international site BeautifulPeople.com threw out members after they posted photos "revealing that they have let themselves go," according to a company statement.
"As a business, we mourn the loss of any member, but the fact remains that our members demand the high standard of beauty be upheld," said Robert Hintze, founder of BeautifulPeople.com. "Letting fatties roam the site is a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is an example of the ultimate decadence of the bourgeoisie. If one thinks this site is ridiculous, then there's no law that makes you patronize it, of course.

I wonder if the men have to be "beautiful" like the women, or only rich and famous?

It's amazing, though, how many people feel they are entitled to only the world's best looking mates. Often they over-value themselves in the sexual "marketplace." The very use of the word "market" emphasizes how people have become merely commodities. It's a process of dehumanization.

It's so easy to game a site like this, though. Pictures can be artfully taken or photoshopped to make anyone look good.

How can the site tell if someone has gained a few pounds unless they submit an unflattering picture of themselves? Or do they follow their clients around?

What a colossal waste of human talent and energy.

links.assetize.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I read this the other day and complaints were filed to the site based on interactions by the members. This is a result of people overmarketing themselves, and other members reporting that overmarketing.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
LMAO Those beautiful people are some of the ugliest i have ever seen.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
You know what, this shouln't be news.

Do people pay for the membership?

If so, then the membership should decide what they like or what they want on the website. It's not decadance, it's not being elitist, it's getting what you pay for.

It's a business model. Just like ATS chooses to ban all trolls on sight, well mostly. It's cause we won't put up with them.

I mean, morally I think it's a bit skewed and I went to the site to me, they just look the same really, little pop clones all over the place.

I'd rather see a beautiful personality, but hey that's just me. These people have the right to do as they please and so does this website.

Just my 2 cents.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

How can the site tell if someone has gained a few pounds unless they submit an unflattering picture of themselves? Or do they follow their clients around?

From Source (2nd paragraph btw):

The international site BeautifulPeople.com threw out members after they posted photos "revealing that they have let themselves go," according to a company statement.

On Topic:

As narcissistic as it is, the majority of of people in this world trying to hook up start off with the looks of someone else, followed by a moment of fear in hoping that the person isn't a complete idiot.

This site may be new, but the business model isn't...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Bravo to the owners of the site...maintaining the integrity of their mission statement. You get what you pay for...If I'm paying money for something...I want it delivered AS ADVERTISED.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
In the long run, the people that got axed were the lucky ones. What's the point in an online dating site where "good looks" are a prerequisite? I just want a dating site where no "psycho's" are allowed.

How does that old song go?

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife,
So from my personal point of view,
Pick an ugly girl to marry you ...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The people who are members of that site know full well that their beauty is only skin deep and that the epitome of shallowness that drew them to become members defines just how ugly they are inside, and that goes for the 5,000 morons who have been rejected.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You're right. This website is an example of free market capitalism and I'm not suggesting it should be shut down. If Barbie wants to date only Ken then that's their prerogative.

Just saying that it's a waste of human time, aspiration and energy.

But that's my opinion only.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Lol that's funny, no matter how you see it. What a society we live in. A perfection is great but don't stress yourself.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Im no expert but the people they chose for their "Ideals" of beauty on the front page of that site are not exactly "beautiful" to me...

Wonders if there would be as much uproar if someone made a site for large people called "fatties.com" only overweight people could apply.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by AlphaPrime]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'd be uncomfortable being a member there because you know anyone who contacts you from there is only looking for you based on your appearance as that is the reason they joined. No thanks.

I'm sticking with sugardaddies.com for my shallow dating needs.

(Just kidding).

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I dont think they axed that many people, this is propaganda to get more people in.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
As usual the typical ATS crowd reacts to this website with a knee jerk emotional response...

YOU GUYS GOT IT ALL WRONG. What exactly are you mad at this site for? They don't define beauty, the people who are members do. Anyone who is allowed on the site, fits members ideal attractive person, as decided on by the members themselves. Thats democracy and science.

You all sounds like a buncha democracy and science haters in my book.

Further more, anyone who denies physical attractiveness is not a highly important part of finding a mate can not be taken seriously. Why would you not want to be allowed on to a dating website that considers you ideally attractive, and that would likely have many members who fit your ideal? This site is a brilliant idea, stop knocking it.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If the most beautiful people in the world need a dating website to meet mates, I have questions about quality of their character or more importantly... just what is wrong with them?

I have nothing against internet dating. But this is kind of a hilarious and pathetic oxymoron if you think about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Truer words have never been spoken.
They ARE providing a service.
It is afterall called BeautifulPeople.com
If the uglies and fatties are upset by this, then maybe they should start up their own website and charge people to look for other less attractive people.
I dont say this to be a Dck, I say this because it is the truth.
Truth- It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to keep fit, healthy, and goodlooking.
TRUTH- Most Good looking people like to be with other good looking people, hense beautiful people.com.
Truth- A lot of Ugly looking people themselves wish to be with attractive people(I.E. playboy,penthouse suscribers,ect ect..)
Truth- A lot of ugly people wish to be more attractive.
Truth- Just because you think you are hot doesnt mean that you are.
Truth- If you are fat and ugly, or just fat, or just ugly, then you are screwed when it comes to being beautiful unless you work hard at it.

With that said... I can honestly say that I am not the best looking dude in the world, but at the same time, I am not the worst.
Would I sign up for beautifulpeople.com? Answer. No.
I dont think that I rate for that title.
Now if there was a site called BeautifulInside.com...I might take a shot at that. But then again, They might just kick me out of that one too for being too truthful. So does it really matter?

BeautifulPeople.com is a buisness. They sell a product, and people buy their product because they are interested in what they are selling.

I think that you have to be secure with yourself before anything else.
If you are not secure, things like this will only piss you off more.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Not necessarily. I was actually just talking with another member in u2u about this thread and why I applauded them. I'll admit, I was disgusted at the concept of this website upon first seeing this thread until reading their post and I then realized how correct they were.

This site is not my cup of tea, however, they're only tapping into a very natural human urge, and that is to find attractive mates. I personally need more than that but there are those who do place a very high value on physical attractiveness so this business is offering a service to that target market. Actually it's a smart idea. They're providing a service based on a very basic and widespread desire. Shallow to me but I can still see it as a smart business concept.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

If the most beautiful people in the world need a dating website to meet mates, I have questions about quality of their character or more importantly... just what is wrong with them?

I have the same questions about you if you actually think the internet is not an acceptable place to meet people just because someone is attractive. So if someone is beautiful they should only be allowed to go out and meet people in the "real world?" The internet is used for everything these days. Where have you been for the past 20 years?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by Aggie Man

Truer words have never been spoken.
They ARE providing a service.
It is afterall called BeautifulPeople.com
If the uglies and fatties are upset by this, then maybe they should start up their own website and charge people to look for other less attractive people.
I dont say this to be a Dck, I say this because it is the truth.
Truth- It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to keep fit, healthy, and goodlooking.
TRUTH- Most Good looking people like to be with other good looking people, hense beautiful people.com.
Truth- A lot of Ugly looking people themselves wish to be with attractive people(I.E. playboy,penthouse suscribers,ect ect..)
Truth- A lot of ugly people wish to be more attractive.
Truth- Just because you think you are hot doesnt mean that you are.
Truth- If you are fat and ugly, or just fat, or just ugly, then you are screwed when it comes to being beautiful unless you work hard at it.

With that said... I can honestly say that I am not the best looking dude in the world, but at the same time, I am not the worst.
Would I sign up for beautifulpeople.com? Answer. No.
I dont think that I rate for that title.
Now if there was a site called BeautifulInside.com...I might take a shot at that. But then again, They might just kick me out of that one too for being too truthful. So does it really matter?

BeautifulPeople.com is a buisness. They sell a product, and people buy their product because they are interested in what they are selling.

I think that you have to be secure with yourself before anything else.
If you are not secure, things like this will only piss you off more.

I was about to give you a star until I realized that this thread just got the kiss of death...

So, this will have to do *

top topics

<<   2 >>

join