It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Rights and Tea Party Activists Encourage People To Bring Guns To New Mexico Protest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
thinkprogress.org...

Nearly 350 right-wing protestors crowded a New Mexico town’s busiest intersection yesterday to protest President Obama’s supposed anti-gun agenda and the “government takeover of our health care system.” While the event mostly looked like any other recent right-wing rally — complete with signs reading “replace the communists in DC” and “the sky is falling! A black man is president!” — what set this protest apart was that there “were plenty of handguns and rifles displayed.”

The local Tea Party and a group called the Second Amendment Task Force (2ATF, a reference to the ATF, which enforces gun laws) encouraged people to bring guns to the event in Alamogordo, NM, in order to “put a positive light on gun ownership,” said 2ATF’s founder Dan Woodruff. While the two protests were technically separate, they were planned together for the same day in adjacent locations. Otero Tea Party Patriots coordinator Don Omey said he was “proud” of the gun-toters. “That’s what we need to turn some minds around,” Omey said. Under New Mexico law, it’s legal for anyone over the age of 19 to open-carry a holstered firearm in most public places.

I'm all for 2nd amendment rights as a gun owner myself but this seems a bit extreme and threatening.

I live in Northern NM and I'm not to suprised at the attitudes displayed in Alamogordo; a very conservative area.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I'm all for 2nd amendment rights as a gun owner myself but this seems a bit extreme and threatening.

When they start waving them around and threatening it'll be threatening.

As it is it's just people who happen to have guns with them.

I dont get folks treating a person carrying a gun like it's some foreign anomaly or some simultaneously overt yet veiled threat against their person.

Until somebody grabs hold of it ans starts waving it around it's no different than a cell phone on the hip.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It's like these people want their guns taken away. The only time you will ever see me on the news with a gun is when they try to take it away from me.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why the need to bring the guns? Are they afraid of something? Is their life in danger? I'm with you OP. I support the 2nd amendment, but this is just another attempt by the birthers/tea baggers/etc. to flex their little muscles and demonstrate that which the rest of us already know...WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BARE ARMS

to simply show up with one's gun is one thing....to rally the masses to do it seems...ummmm...like an attempt at intimidation.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by whaaa

When they start waving them around and threatening it'll be threatening.

As it is it's just people who happen to have guns with them.

I dont get folks treating a person carrying a gun like it's some foreign anomaly or some simultaneously overt yet veiled threat against their person.

Until somebody grabs hold of it ans starts waving it around it's no different than a cell phone on the hip.

the problem is, what happens when the idiot shows up? You know the one. the guy who is all drunk and thinks his point would be made better if he fired a few shots. then you have chaos. I just think there are better ways to get this message out. I have plenty of guns, but I don't wear them around town. I have no need to. I have every right to, but no need. A peaceful agenda will be heard clearer than a violent one. And with this, violence is only one idiot away.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
the problem is, what happens when the idiot shows up? You know the one. the guy who is all drunk and thinks his point would be made better if he fired a few shots. then you have chaos.

Wouldn't that be a fitting end....drunkard shows up to express his right to bare arms...shots are fired...public outcry over incident...New legislation gets passed, taking away our guns.

To these fools: Just keep your guns at home and feel good about the fact you are allowed to own them in the first place.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Strange, I'm stationed up here in Northern New Mexico also. I brought this to the attention of some of the locals and they hadn't heard anything about this. They did feel that it was their constitutional right to peacefully assemble, and if they desired, to bring their guns as well. No big deal here move along.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think we should ban guns.

Next any other item that is dangerous. Let us start a list.

Hmmmm. Cars, trucks, airplanes, motorcycles, knives, bats, thermonuclear subs, cruisers, aircraft carriers, destroyers, bombs of all types, real sharp rocks

Then, we should build houses for ourselves that have no window and no corners install hypoallergenic padding on the walls. We should wear full body suits with mitts for hand protection and a helmet for head protection.

Next we can sit in the middle of the room saying ooooooohhhhhmmmm.

Sensationalize and instigate problems with the very thing you want to abolish.

Here is a conspiracy for you, have the very prisoners in a society spread the very propaganda to institute what we want to happen.

How bout them apples!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I think we should ban government.

Government was responsible for 200 million deaths last century.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Next any other item that is dangerous. Let us start a list.

Hmmmm. Cars, trucks, airplanes, motorcycles,

They do create carbon which is feeding the manbearpig.

knives, bats,

They are dangerous. We don;t need baseball when we have the Wii, and we can cut our food with the edge of a fork.

thermonuclear subs, cruisers, aircraft carriers, destroyers, bombs of all types,

Nuclear subs create waste that attract manbearpigs. Cruisers and boats create more CO2. And bombs, of course, pollute the earth as well. It's not that they kill anyone, its just its effect on the planet.

real sharp rocks

These primitive weapons are very dangerous themselves.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

The right to "Bare" arms can mean many things. Bare could mean you are allowed to carry nothing and hence you are bare.

Or it could mean you are allowed to carry a hand weapon, since that ammendment was written way back in the 17 or 1800's and the kind of firearms we have today aren't the same.

More research should be done on the constitution and it's amendments.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

I think we should ban government.

Government was responsible for 200 million deaths last century.

Why the HELL did I not think to include government?

I am slipping. Oh well.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
. . . . I support the 2nd amendment, but this is just another attempt by the birthers/tea baggers/etc. to flex their little muscles and demonstrate that which the rest of us already know...WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BARE ARMS
. . .

Of course they have the right to bare their arms.
How else is anyone going to see their little biceps flexing?

Or are they, considering the chilly temperatures there, just goosebumps?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Why are some people so insecure that they are really bothered by law abiding citizens excercising their rights? There is no reason to be upset by this.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
A gun is property

When will the people of this world understand the bottom line? A gun is property, plain and simple. The NRA is the biggest problem and spreads the most propoganda. I was a member for one year so I could e-mail and send them letters to explain this. The government CAN NOT restrict the possession of one piece of property over any other, PERIOD. I could go on and on with all this but that's the point, it's PROPERTY RIGHTS.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by daddio]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Reply to post by network dude

The thing with idiots is they'll always be idiots regardless of laws, bans, regulations, common decency etc...

There is no way to "idiot-proof" anything. I'm tired of having my actions demonized and my liberties chained in these futile attempt at idiot control.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix
reply to post by Aggie Man

The right to "Bare" arms can mean many things. Bare could mean you are allowed to carry nothing and hence you are bare.

Or it could mean you are allowed to carry a hand weapon, since that ammendment was written way back in the 17 or 1800's and the kind of firearms we have today aren't the same.

More research should be done on the constitution and it's amendments.

If you had read the second amendment you would know that it says the right to "bear" arms (meaning to carry), not "bare" (which means naked)

Have weapons changed? yes and no. Yes, they can shoot repeatedly with more accuracy and more power. BUT they could still kill another person with a single shot. At the time of the writing of the Bill of Rights it was possible to carry several pistols and someone could concievably have carried out a mass shooting just like today. Obviously, the danger is much overplayed or we would have read about it happening in times past. Fact is, the only real slaughters carried out by those wielding guns have been done by US soldiers against native americans and a spat of shootings brought on by the rise of gangs with the institution of the 18th amendment and prohibition.
The real issue here is do we trust our fellow citizens or not? For freedom to be reality that is what each of us must do, as should our government. It is apparent that our government does NOT trust it's citizens with freedom or it wouldn't be in such a rush to take them away in the name of fighting the global war on terror.
There are only 2 things that frighten me ; governments and people who think they know better than I what I should and should not be allowed to do.
One would think liberals would be all about trusting their fellow man, apparently that is only when they can put a leash on them.

To the OP; a bunch of people carrying guns in public!?!?! ::yawn:: I see that every saturday when I go to the range.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The insecurity in some of these posts are astounding.

Who gives a damn if someone is carrying around a gun? Im not threatened by the fact that people feel the need to carry guns, why should I be?
I have guns, I do not carry them around town, I am very secure with myself and what I am capable of. If I wasnt capable of handling myself, you would be damned right to say I would be carrying everywhere I went.

Look at what happened here in Las Vegas recently with the 66 year old man who went beserk because he lost his case for his SS. He went on a shooting rampage. This man lost everything because of the law, but went one step too far in releasing his anger which ultimately led to his own death. If there were people around armed, this probably would have never happened. He would have thought twice about doing what he did.
Yes, it is a govt building, and guns are not allowed regardless, but this man would have never made it passed 4 shots if people around him were strapped.

If people are really threatened by this, then my suggestion to them would be either A) Grow a set. B)Get one yourself to protect yourself from these loonies. C)Cry about it, and see how far that gets you. D) isolate yourself from the rest of the known civilized world.

If you dont like the way people are standing up against their govt, then maybe you should be on the govts side.(Alot of you already are)
This isnt about citizen vs citizen, its about citizen against oppressive government.

As Bush said(with some modifying by me)... If you are not with us, you are with the government. I sure the hell am not with the govt/Im with the people, and whatever the people think as a popular majority, I would be willing to play along, but I will never be forced to do something just because some govt official thinks its in the best interests of his pockets and the rest of the world. So if you dont mind, I am going to go clean my rifles.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
Why are some people so insecure that they are really bothered by law abiding citizens excercising their rights? There is no reason to be upset by this.

People are mimicking US govt policy.. get all hot and bothered about things far away strangers do that have exactly zero effect on their day.

Besides that the article is also blatant divide & conquer propaganda to be ignored as silly. Labeling people 'right wingers", "tea partiers" or whatever removes all credibility.. how about angry americans? or were they wearing "I heart right wing & tea" caps & t-shirts?

If this same rally was in iran, the media would describe them as the "freedom loving opposition movement" voicing their anger against an oppressive DC regime. Seriously, this type of article plays right into the hands of those who want to divide you.. rather than being about the broken DC mafia, it's been spun into a divisive gun issue... and sadly quite a few have bought into it and taken sides like good programmable sheep... jumping on fellow citizens who at least had the testicular fortitude to go out and do something.

Everyone who cares about saving this nation (which isn't me.. I'll live anywhere with warm weather) should be thanking and joining these people regardless of what they carry on their person.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

“the sky is falling! A black man is president!”

Is it any surprise no one takes these idiots seriously?

But aside from that I say good on them. I'm all about the 2nd Amendment and the freedom of firearm ownership. I personally wouldn't want to be in that group of rednecks because double-digit IQs and live ammo aren't a good mix, but I support their right to do it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join