It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizen with permitted concealed handgun law stops multiple victim public shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I didn't find this making a search on the ATS search engine but you never know. If this was already posted please delete.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A man is in police custody after opening fire at a northwest Oklahoma City apartment complex near Hefner and Council roads.

Police said the man started firing multiple shots in the parking lot of the Tammaron Village apartments around 4 p.m. Thursday.

Witnesses said the man initially went into the apartment complex's main office. When employees locked him out, he opened fire in the parking lot.

As the man was firing shots, another citizen armed with a gun came around the corner and ordered the gunman to put his weapon down. The gunman dropped his weapon and ran into his father's apartment and barricaded himself inside.

Oklahoma City police, the tactical team and the bomb squad were called out to negotiate with the man. The man finally surrendered just before 7:30 Thursday evening.

Police said the man opened fire because he was upset with his military status.

Several people at the apartments told NEWS 9 the gunman was a Marine who was on leave and came home for the holidays.

I am giving credit to the following link because that's where I saw this, but I will also post the original link.

johnrlott.blogspot.com...

Here is the original link.

www.news9.com...

You won't hear this on the news but a man with a concealed weapon permit was able to stop a Marine from hurting, or even killing people when the Marine started to shoot at his apartment complex alledgedly because he was upset with his military status.

The American citizen with the concealed weapon permit drawed his gun and yelled to the Marine to drop his gun or he would shoot, at this point the Marine dropped his gun and ran to his father's apartment and barricaded himself inside.

The police are not giving the name of the Marine, and they are not even acknowledging which branch of service he is on, but they claim he was drunk.

This, and other events like this one do not really make it on the big news channels because no one was hurt, and most news channels don't like to show news about how legally armed Americans can stop random shootings like this one.

A big bohoo to the news channels that are not reporting this, and similar news worth articles because it shows legally armed Americans can protect themselves and others from criminals who start shooting at other people for whatever reason.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow, Marines are not really known for dropping a weapon and running away. I bet one could have gotten the same result by pointing a stick at him, sounds like he was drunk.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

One more reason to outlaw guns entirely and enforce Katana carrying laws!

The longer duration of a sword duel, as opposed to a rapid fire shootout, will force the involved parties to have to think more about their actions.

Who knows? You might not feel so angry about John Doe cutting you off in his SUV if you know that stopping requires a possibility of having your arm severed.

Kind of reminds me of players being allowed to fight in hockey. As long as there is nothing cheap going on (e.g. only two players, both on their skates, etc.) they just let 'em go at it until they fall down!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
What angers me to no end, is the fact that the MSM will not broadcast this story. They will only show the fights of Congress to strip away our 2nd ammendment rights.

Applause for the man with the CCW permit! Good job!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

The longer duration of a sword duel, as opposed to a rapid fire shootout, will force the involved parties to have to think more about their actions.

This may seem entirely off topic but isn't the whole idea of a Katana to cut down your opponent in one swift motion to avoid a long duel. Don't they practice that?

As for the OP, I'm glad no one got hurt but if some random dude managed to make a marine drop his weapon the marine must have already been having second thoughts.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Yes, the term "sword" would have sufficed, but I like the way "Katana" looks and sounds!!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
More guns is the answer! Give everyone a gun, so that way you have a chance to fight back when you're in five shoot outs each day.

I think there's something very dangerous with American society when it comes to guns. Other countries, with more guns, don't have the problems America does. Weird.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
More guns is the answer! Give everyone a gun, so that way you have a chance to fight back when you're in five shoot outs each day.

I'm on board with ya! Let's spice up our lives a little bit and start living on the edge.

When you're busy dodging bullets, gridlock traffic on your way home from the job is the least of your worries!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

You are kidding right?.... I have been a Martial Artist for most of my life, I do have a katana, a shinogi zukuri/samurai katana from Bugei Trading Company, made from Swedish powdered steel, as well as other white weapons, but i don't go around carrying my katana, or white weapons, except for a smith and Wesson swat special tactical pocket knife.... I just "train" with most of my white weapons....or used to until recently because of my accident.

You go around carrying a katana and some criminal pulls an automatic weapon, or even a gun and you will very probably be dead.

You are living in the 21st century, this is not a game, and this is not the 7th century A.D. People don't carry katanas, and they are not about to just because of your misguided beliefs.

No offense but you sound more like a WOW player, or some other similar gamer, who has been playing for too long than someone who has any training in Martial Arts.

You don't take a katana to a gun fight, and these days criminals carry guns, and fully automatic weapons, and ALL of these weapons they buy in the BLACK MARKET, which comes from China, Europe, etc.

Honor and valour is not in the weapon you use, but it is in how, and why you use that weapon.

The man with the CCW permit who stopped this Marine has more valour, guts, and honor than most WOW players, or similar gamers...

[edit on 6-1-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

I am pretty sure you got it backwards there buddy.. i live in Wyoming, a state where you can carry legally your guns, and other weapons, as long as they are in sight.. Most people around here have guns and we barely have crimes in here....and we certainly don't have '5 shootouts a day".....

Most of the crimes occur in cities where weapons are heavily restricted from LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, and where ONLY criminals carry weapons....

It is a FACT, and this has been shown around here several times that in countries where law abbiding citizens have been banned from having weapons that crimes with guns have INCREASED dramatically because only criminals have guns in these countries, and cities....

As an example look at the UK, and Australia...

Gun crime trebles as weapons and drugs flood British cities

By David Bamber, Home Affairs Correspondent
Published: 12:01AM GMT 24 Feb 2002

GUN crime has almost trebled in London during the past year and is soaring in other British cities, according to Home Office figures obtained by The Telegraph.

Police chiefs fear that Britain is witnessing the kind of coc aine-fuelled violence that burst upon American cities in the 1980s. Cocaine, particularly from Jamaica, now floods into Britain, while the availability of weapons - many of them from eastern Europe - is also increasing.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

28 gun crimes committed in UK every day

By Christopher Hope, Home Affairs Correspondent
Published: 10:49AM GMT 24 Jan 2008

The spiralling problem with gun culture was highlighted by figures that show 28 firearms crimes are committed in England and Wales every day.

Crime in England and Wales: Full report [pdf]
Have your say: Does your area feel safer?
Home Office figures showed gun crimes rose by four per cent last year, the largest increase for three years.
Mr Davis said the gun figures were linked to a steep rise in drug offences - up 21 per cent in the third quarter of last year. The number of drug crimes was 55,700, against 9,500 in the same period in 2006.

He said: "Violent crime is fuelled by drugs and Labour's chaotic and confused policy on drugs. Drugs wreck lives, destroy communities and are a major symptom of our broken society."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Drugs are not the only reason why gun crimes have increased in countries like the UK, gun crimes have increased dramatically since the gun ban in the UK, and other places. These gun crimes are committed with weapons bought in the BLACK MARKET, and they are not owned by law abbiding citizens for the most part...

It is a fact that when law abbiding citizens have legal guns crimes decrease, but when you outlaw, or severely restrict guns and other weapons only the CRIMINALS have weapons... But unfortunately this is something that some people, for some unknown reason, can't seem to understand, or don't want to...

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade
By James Slack
Last updated at 8:42 AM on 27th October 2009

Gun crime has almost doubled since Labour came to power as a culture of extreme gang violence has taken hold.

The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year - a rise of 89 per cent.

In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold.

In eighteen police areas, gun crime at least doubled.

The statistic will fuel fears that the police are struggling to contain gang-related violence, in which the carrying of a firearm has become increasingly common place.

Last week, police in London revealed they had begun carrying out armed patrols on some streets.

The move means officers armed with sub-machine guns are engaged in routine policing for the first time.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

you are correct. the states with heavier gun restrictions show that there is more crime.

im too lazy to bring up the stats, but i believe Chicago, IL Newark, NJ LA, CA, Philadelphia, PA come to mind.

i could be wrong on a few of them, but i would be a little worried if i was walking through those cities at night... even if i was carrying.

for the katana comment, Uh.... unless your a Jedi, or something like that, i don't see how a katana could help you against someone with a handgun... just saying....

Kudos to the citizen with kahunas! He is one of those people who are good examples of why we should have a right to bear arms, and be responsible about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Very important thread, and I say this as an Englishman - where guns are long gone. Someone who really wants to go on a shooting spree is going to get hold of a gun, legally or not. The only way there's going to be a concerned citizen able to interrupt that shooting spree is if ordinary citizens are allowed to carry guns.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

Sorry, but you're wrong. Here in the UK, where guns are entirely illegal, gun crime has risen dramatically since they made them illegal, for the simple fact that the criminals know that their victims probably won't be armed, as law abiding citizens can't even own, never mind carry a gun.

Not to mention what it's doing for our Olympic Shooting Team

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone who responded, and to the two Brittish members who unfortunately among the millions of Britons they can't legally own any weapons anymore....and there are people, even regular people who want the same for the U.S. and other countries....

As a reminder to everyone, and maybe the UK members haven't been able to watch it, here is an old video about the largest peaceful demonstration which was done in the history of the UK...which was mainly about the fact that they lost the right to own and bear arms....among other rights they lost...which the "Progressives" and other elites want to implement in the U.S. and around the world...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Hmm, looks an interesting vid, i'll have to watch it when I get home, where I've got speakers. I think I recall watching the original footage on the news when it happened though.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I don't have an opinion on gun control, either way.

But could the upswing of gun violence in the UK be contributed to the social clashes we have seen in the past years revolving around minorities?

It seems the 'criminal element' itself has increased, not just the gun use.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
living in hong kong and hearing about arrests and weapons still is fairly strange.

it's mostly butcher knives and cleavers that people kill with.

when a gun is found, it is reported along with the number of bullets!

i don't have links but believe me, it is weird to hear that a gun was found and 5 bullets.

i am from the US, btw.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

The black market would EXPLODE if handguns were able to be legally bought. Currently guns would have to be smuggled in to the country, which is difficult enough. If they just have to be stolen from gun shops or law-abiding owners, then the number on the black market would go through the roof, endangering everyone.

Have you seen the firearms murder rates in the US? Jesus Christ I'd not wish that on anyone. I'd hardly say guns for everyone is working!

Personally I'd rather let the cops look after my safety. They're paid for it, they're trained for it, have back-up, and it allows me to not have to be 100% on-guard all the time (ie I can have a drink without risking my life).

Letting everyone have handguns is opening Pandora's box. It's too late for the US to have any choice in the matter.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

Handguns are long-gone. You can still have shotguns and rifles. If someone is going to lose their mind and go on a shooting spree, I doubt they're going to spend time tracking down a gun black marketeer and purchase one from them. "I say, old chap. One appears to have lost one's mind. Do you have any handguns for sale? I would love to buy one and go kill some people." If, on the other hand, they had some guns lying around at home, they'd not have any trouble picking one up and killing, in the space of minutes.

The more barriers between lunatics and guns the better. What's the use of protecting yourself against a crime by ensuring the crime will be far more common-place?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by yadda333

You are kidding right?....

I referenced hockey player fights, severed arms, and enforced Katana carrying laws!

What do you think?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join