It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring Back the Draft?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Thats right, do they make good soldiers? How do they do with authority and taking orders.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
haha Bring back the draft?????????? LMAO! It's time we go to war with our government! You want to draft me? Go right ahead.......I'll fight for the American people and I'll take up arms and sign my life away taking out the bastards on Capitol Hill, WallStreet and the White House! How about THAT draft?

The military is an extension of our corrupt and tyrannical government. They no longer protect the American citizenry. You can bemoan this point all you want....argue it, fight it,,,,,,,deny it..............it doesn't matter. The troops have been bought and paid for by corrupt politicians and corporations. It's time they turn their rifles on the real terrorists here at home.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

Sadly, some of them smoke shrubs, get caught and get article 15's. Just last month those that had tested positive for drug use are now out of Iraq and getting kicked out of the army with a dishonorable discharge

Edit: They hate taking order more then anyone, although I never figured out why.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
width="425" height="344"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/HbEnlI4yPCY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

I think this may sum up how some people feel about the draft.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Wrath5639]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Shrubs Huh? They should have sent them guys to Afghanistan, they would not have had to smoke shrubs over there.

Thats why they were in jail is they don`t like authority and have no regard for the law.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Iamherefornow]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

$tar for you. I agree that its time to fight the real terrorists and return home so people can finally get their freedom back by us soldiers like it was meant to be.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I guess your right, however they would run like bandits with those poppy's should they find that cash crop.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I am laughing so hard now, maybe thats why they did send them to Iraq and not Afghanistan. The powers that be knew how much trouble they could get into. Apparently the shrubs in Iraq don`t offer much.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Yeah, the hash here is weakstuff compared to what the afghanis got im guessing

Edit: maybe people wouldn't mind getting drafted if they could take some of that cash crop.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Stop Loss
Stay away from the shrubs and tell the troops we all hope they come home soon.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I say no draft, everyone should serve in the military. That's what they do in Israel, and I think it would be a good thing here.

For one it would change a lot of mindless ignorant American kids into thoughtful heads after seeing what goes on in the rest of the world.

Being in the military helps a lot with character development, it helps people to be better people even if what they are ordered to do is wrong. At least they will be able to distinguish between what is right and what is wrong by the time they are out.

Now I know saying everyone should serve in the military is idealistic since we have a lot more people than Israel does, so having every 18 year old in the military would cost a lot of money, so to solve that I would say serving in the National Guard or Coast Guard would qualify, even serving in the reserves would qualify. In fact, how about this, every person has to serve in military reserves for 2 years, not active duty, that way they could actually go to school while serving in the military.

Idealistic, yes, but just seriously think about it for a second, imagine an America where everyone serves in the military.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

I agree no draft. If the cause is just or true defense, people will step up.

I used to think mandatory military service would be a good idea, but no longer. I do think everyone would benefit from military training. I also think they, and as a result the nation as a whole, would benefit from experiencing such sacrifice and structure.

I would however, support required school based ROTC-type program in high school or college. It would essentially prepare you for service without requiring service. The Philippines has such a program. With the exception of learning sacrifice, it would provide all the other benefits of required service and somewhat prepare citizens if a true emergency or war situation develops.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

People really need to travel the world often and learn what is really going on but I still dont know if a draft would ever happen since those that are in the military are already being held down without a choice like me

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have a son who is just a few short years of being drafted if there was a draft....and I surely wouldn't want him to be drafted. If he made up his own mind to go into the military, then that's his own decision, but if he doesn't want to go to war, then he shouldn't be forced into fighting.

I apologize for not sounding patriotic......but I would probably encourage my son to be a draft dodger.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by blue_fish

Good for you. I was lied by my recruiter on how the army would be like. Since then ive been stuck in this job for seven years and still aint released me yet!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

I agree no draft. If the cause is just or true defense, people will step up.

I used to think mandatory military service would be a good idea, but no longer. I do think everyone would benefit from military training. I also think they, and as a result the nation as a whole, would benefit from experiencing such sacrifice and structure.

I would however, support required school based ROTC-type program in high school or college. It would essentially prepare you for service without requiring service. The Philippines has such a program. With the exception of learning sacrifice, it would provide all the other benefits of required service and somewhat prepare citizens if a true emergency or war situation develops.

Good points, ROTC based program yeah that's actually a good idea I just think everyone should receive some kind of military training before they go out on their own. I have a friend who is at Navy Academy and he just went through basic cadet training last summer and he said afterward, "I wish I could do high school track again now because I feel so much stronger mentally that I feel like I could do so much better than I did. This military training makes you so much stronger mentally."

And there is much more than mental toughness that you get from military training, you learn the values of leadership and teamwork that aren't necessarily taught in the civilian world.

But where I disagree with you is I think people should not only be prepared for service, they should experience service. Even if it is for just 2 years, I think people should spend some time abroad in service and see firsthand what is going on to help break the bubble that America is living in today. So I stand by my opinion that people should serve in the military reserves, but I also think that a ROTC type program would be great.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Mandatory service kinda defeats the purpose of "freedom" doesn't it? "Freedom" means being able to make your own choices about your own life and not being subject to state or social mandates.

And not every one is a warrior. Some people have no business being on a battlefield.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Arietis
Mandatory service kinda defeats the purpose of "freedom" doesn't it? "Freedom" means being able to make your own choices about your own life and not being subject to state or social mandates.

If we were truly free would we be going to school? Would we be going to college? No one is truly free, because if they were free in the full context of the word they would be dumbasses, that is what education is for to make people smarter no? So serving in the military reserves would just be a part of education.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Of course there's more progress to be made toward the fully realized ideal of freedom, i.e. the civil rights movement, etc. A military draft or mandatory service would be a horrendous step backwards.

School is mandatory for children, not adult citizens, and parents still have the option of "home schooling". I do agree, however that there should probably be a "student's rights movement" of some sort.

Trying to force citizens to comply with military mandates that are "for their own good" is authoritarian and tyrannical.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Trying to force citizens to comply with military mandates that are "for their own good" is authoritarian and tyrannical.

It is not "for their own good" it is for the good of our society and country.

Is education really "for their own good?" From what I remember I hated going to school. Education is really for the good of society and country. Trying to force citizens to comply with military mandates would be no different ideologically than forcing children to go to school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join