It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas bomber. Basis for Yemen action?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The decision to offer Christmas day bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab is raising questions and rightfully so. Why offer this terrorist a plea deal and not others? And why should obvious enemys of the U.S. be afforded the same legal rights as honest American citizens? The U.S. is looking hard right now at Yemen. Officials closed the U.S. Embassy there already and evacuated several workers. The bomber's Father tried to warn Emabassy officials and the warning more than likely was dismissed due to the typical attitude of State Department types who often play into their own self serving attitudes instead of passing the information on up.

The failed attempt to blow up a US airliner brought the existence of al-Qaeda in Yemen to the attention of the American public and provides the U.S. government with pretty much, the same context for military action against Yemen as we all have seen in the last 10 or so years. Israel's Jerusalem Post is calling for a hardline approach towards Yemen and favors military action.

"Islamist danger is not primarily rooted geographically but theologically and politically within the larger Muslim civilization". Amos Gilboa, in the centrist daily Ma'ariv, said that the failed plot was a "powerful reminder" of the reach of Islamic terrorism and urged President Obama to put the issue "high on the list of US priorities".

And Israel's long held quest to rid the world of Muslims continues to be a priority even though they can't even settle their own internal conflicts

chief counterterrorism adviser on Sunday defended the administration's decision to try in federal court the man charged with attempting to bomb an airliner on Christmas Day and indicated that he would be offered a plea agreement to persuade him to reveal what he knows about al-Qaeda operations in Yemen.

Washington Times article here

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If somebody from America were to blow up a plane in China, would China be justified in attacking the USA?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
If somebody from America were to blow up a plane in China, would China be justified in attacking the USA?

Reply below, misunderstood question. Mods: remove if needed.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by mikelee]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A bit like 911 to gain enough backing to justify putting more lives at risk

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

I think you missed the point of my post.

It has nothing to do with an American committing a terrorist attack in China, it has to do with the response China would have to such an event.

The point is, going to war with an entire country, because of crime committed by a person from that country, is a bit stupid.

If some American lunatic blew up a Chinese airline, you wouldn't suggest that a reasonable response is for China to bomb heavily populated American cities into the stone age.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by mikelee

I think you missed the point of my post.

It has nothing to do with an American committing a terrorist attack in China, it has to do with the response China would have to such an event.

The point is, going to war with an entire country, because of crime committed by a person from that country, is a bit stupid.

If some American lunatic blew up a Chinese airline, you wouldn't suggest that a reasonable response is for China to bomb heavily populated American cities into the stone age.

Clearly I did indeed miss your point. I apologize for that.

Yes I do agree that for the act of a single person being a pretext for an invasion is stupid. I'm sure that the government will neatly tie this single individual into a broader range of conspirators to "justify" their intended aggressions.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Not just the Christmas bomber.... People forget the Ft. Hood connection and half a dozen other connections peppered throughout the media in the last year or so....

The foundation is being laid for a broader plan that involves Yemen. That much is clear.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Star for that one, I forgot about that!!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Lately I have been watching the Yemen issue. So far Britain, the US, Russia and a host of other countrys have ships stationed in Yemen. China who has not allowed their ships to leave their waters in decades also has a ship there. Sure there is oil that is shipped through there in the Suez but, the posturing of these ships especially China, warrants watching.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well folks, Yemen is now in the gunsights of the US war machine. Troops are being sent there in incremental stages according to sources I know (friends) and I'm wondering when an "official" statement regarding a troop deployment will be issued. Something to watch for sure.

new topics

top topics

join