It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$55m carbon dioxide recovery plant opens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

$55m carbon dioxide recovery plant opens

Sources: Gulf Daily News and Zawya

Gulf Daily News:

MANAMA: The Middle East's first carbon dioxide recovery plant has been opened at the Gulf Petrochemical Industries Company (GPIC).

The $55 million facility at the company's Sitra facility was formally inaugurated by GPIC chairman and adviser to the Prime Minister for oil and industrial affairs Shaikh Isa bin Ali Al Khalifa, in the presence of board members, company officials and guests.

He said the unit can capture 450 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide per day, which is one of the world's largest capacities.
"The captured gas will later be used as feedstock for urea and methanol synthesis procedures in the process recovering approximately 90 per cent of the gas expelled.

Zawya:

MANAMA: With the opening of the world's largest carbon dioxide (CO2) recovery plant at Gulf Petrochemical Industries Company (GPIC) Complex in Sitra, GPIC has become the first petrochemical company in the Middle East to use this advance technology to recycle carbon emissions.

According to details, the $55 million GPIC project aims at cutting down over 90 percent greenhouse gas emissions and improving overall efficiency.

"The GPIC has become the first petrochemical company in the Middle East to use such environmentally friendly technology. And this is yet another milestone towards the company's commitment to a clean environment," Sheikh Isa bin Ali Al-Khalifa adviser to the prime minister for oil and industrial affairs and GPIC board Chairman told the audience during the opening ceremony of the plant.

The recovery unit can capture 450 metric tons of CO2 per day, one of the world's largest capacity units for the chemical application. Captured CO2 will be used as feedstock for urea and methanol synthesis processes. The technology can recover approximately 90 percent of the CO2 in flue gas.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Now what are we to make of this??

They capture CO2 emmisions from the air, turn it into methanol and fertilizer. How environmentally safe are these processes? What are they going to release back into the air?

And, is my governement going to sell hem my CO2 that they have already taxed? Can I get my taxes back from the Saudi's??

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I admit I am not well versed on science processes. But if you remove all the co2 from the air in your area, what will your plants survive on? Will this affect the surrounding flora? Sounds like a self serving oil company deal to me.

new topics

join