It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency UK militia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

UK MILITIA

Now before i start this i know its illegal for a public militia apart from these

:

Modern survivals

Three units still maintain their militia designation in the British Army, two in the Territorial Army and one in the Army Cadet Force. These are the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (formed in 1539), the Jersey Field Squadron (The Royal Militia Island of Jersey) (formed in 1337), and the Royal Alderney Militia (created in the 13th century and reformed in 1984). Additionally, the Atholl Highlanders are a (ceremonial) private army maintained by the Duke of Atholl — they are the only legal private "army" in the United Kingdom.

However i suggest that the UK government legalise a public based militia made of people from the public for the people of England not just for a military force but more for Emergencys like :

Flooding - Severe flooding in many parts of the UK.
Among the worst hits are York, Shrewsbury, Lewes, Uckfield and Maidstone.

2002 2002 Glasgow floods 200 people immediately evacuated, but the water supply of 140 thousand people was affected.

2003 2003 European heat wave 2,139 people killed in the hottest summer on record. 38.5 °C (101.3 °F) was recorded in Kent

2004 Boscastle flood of 2004 Two villages of Cornwall were heavily damaged due to flash floods.

2005 Flooding Carlisle, 8 January 2005

2005 Birmingham Tornado 30 injuries caused by the tornado, which uprooted trees, destroyed roofs and picked up cars, causing £40 million in damages.

2006 London Tornado Only one injury, but £10 million of damaged caused.

2006 2006 European heat wave Another extraordinarily hot summer causing the most severe drought in 100 years

2007 2007 United Kingdom floods Killed 6 people. Yorkshire suffers many road and rail closures, power cuts and evacuations with Sheffield the worst hit. Other areas heavily affected include Hull, Gloucestershire and Worcestershire.

2008 2008 Morpeth Flood River Wansbeck bursts its banks causing damage to 995 properties costing £40 million.

2009 February 2009 Great Britain and Ireland snowfall Prolonged period of snowfall causes £1.3 billion of damage and at least 4 deaths.

2009 November 2009 Great Britain and Ireland floods Strong winds and heavy rain across the United Kingdom with the worst flooding concentrated in Cumbria. Four people were killed as a direct result of the flooding.[24].

2009 December 2009 European snowfall Prolonged period of snowfall and sub-zero temperatures causes disruption and at least 3 deaths in the UK, and at least 90 across Europe.

Now i know that there are many groups ready for these situations but i say how much easier would it be if these groups like the UK police force, The Army, The RAF, The Royal Navy and all its reserves who would be out helping the public had a helping hand from the public with a local militia.

Things could be done alot quicker and situations improved alot quick or atleast valuable equipment and labour needed could be at the situation or number of situations.

not all militia groups are here to scare the government with a backlash ect some groups are here to help its country and its people. This is based on the USA militia information i've read.

I think you UK goverment needs to think about its stance on militas as it could benift them with lowering costs on emergency forces becuase these groups would be based part time or full time if needed for a period of weeks ect.

The term militia is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens[1] to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service. It is a polyseme with multiple distinct but related meanings. Legal and historical meanings of militia include:

* Defense activity or service, to protect a community, its territory, property, and laws.[2]
* The entire able-bodied population of a community, town, county, or state, available to be called to arms.

* A subset of these who may be legally penalized for failing to respond to a call-up.
* A subset of these who actually respond to a call-up, regardless of legal obligation.

all these quotes and information can be found on en.wikipedia.org...

What do you think ?
do i have a point or is this not necessary ....

[edit on 5-1-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Trying to set up a Milita in the UK , or even suggest it will get you labelled a terrorist at worst, a nutjob at best, whilst I agree with you about we here in the UK SHOULD have one to help with community emergencies when the 'real' services are under pressure, it may even help inspire communities to help each other instead of hiding inside and waiting for someone to rescue them.
But as soon as you say Militia you imagine armed gangs roaming the streets like vigilantes looking for bad guys, and seeing as most of the bad guys are in the Houses of Parliament theres your main block to forming a militia.

Edited to add,

the middle ages had militias for the feudal lordling system, and all it caused was bloodshed, but then again I can see the lordling system coming back into force soon , as MP's, rich elites and such hire private 'security' forces to protect their assest from the people ( you and me). There will be blood, militias help to prevent it sometimes, but only if they're armed, which we ain't , legally anyhow. Besides if you said to the UK public " We're starting up militias again", you'd get the real nutjobs like weekend rambos , unstable BNP members and neo nazi's joining to try and further their own agendas.

[edit on 5/1/10 by DataWraith]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

What do you suggest changing the name of what i want to call a group of people looking to help or try to change people opinion of what a militia is.

They can label me as what they want but i've seen the lack of help for problems with the weather ect and all i want to do is help the community from the looks of it mroe than the Government do.

I also understand why they would be scared of these forming if these were formed people would rely less on the govenment and thats not what they want it is.

well not the Nanny UK that is now people asking for help on everything.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think some sort of voluntary organisation like the RNLI would be great in times of need.. perhaps you could use that type of naming convention over the word militia? makes it fluffy and easy for people to digest what your aims are over fearing the word militia.

good luck

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
We'll start a millicia and when we've had enough of the gov we can storm the gates and fill them in.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

The problem with that its a charity which is funded by donations i think we need a income based style funding or something small enough so the locals can see what a difference it makes and fund it or join it.

however its a good idea and it understood we need something anything is something.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

I dont think you understood what i was goingg for in my post if thats all you can come up with.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It would be a fantastic Idea, but the government is just so stagnant / unwilling to turn back on itself I sometimes wonder why I bother thinking about politics.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001

What do you suggest changing the name of what i want to call a group of people looking to help or try to change people opinion of what a militia is.

They can label me as what they want but i've seen the lack of help for problems with the weather ect and all i want to do is help the community from the looks of it mroe than the Government do.

You mean a little like these guys? The guardian angels, who I first became aware of during the Washington sniper fiasco - TBH I laughed at these lot at the time - I was thinking things like delusional overgrown boy scouts
But it turns out they were quite welcome to help out and they do a lot of other things -

I'm not quite sure at the moment the correct definition of the term militia as opposed to say 'organisation' - I'll look that up later - does a militia have to be armed? - Cos that being Washington I bet half of those red beret wannabes had some firearms back at home (probably under the mattress).

edit - dammit forgot the image.

[edit on 5/1/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

yeah abit like them but abit more action based for emergencys but i am sure things like that would happen within this group anything that can help, should be done.

I do like the hats haha, I dont think the govermnet would ever allow it but we can always try and prove this point.

I know there would be alot of things which could happen like a bad member joining for the wrong reason but if this group is based of the public and community i am sure they would spot it and kick that person out and report the issue.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Militia conjures pictures of people armed with pitchforks ( mind you thats all we have for weapons in the UK, unless you count cricket bats and broken bottles).
Organisation as someone stated above is a better name, not quite fluffy, but still showing signs of 'organisation', where as militia, screaming mob baying for frankensteins monsters blood.

The guardian angels , gawd bless them they tried, were a start, if they were to start hiring , at least they have the core ready, just not enough people wanted to give a sh**

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

yeah i agree if it helps people understand and become less scared about the hole issue of a militia the name can be changed because its not the name we would need its the idea.

I Think it needs to happen in the UK and its the governments ego and pride that is preventing it to happen if requested, theres no doubt that it would help many many people.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

You've quoted a few of the extreme weather patterns that are affecting many countries around the globe, and it's going to get much worse !!

The sheeple cannot rely on Govt to be their saviour when the sh*t really hits the fan....

Your idea is a good one, for the people to try look after themselves

But don't use the word " Militia " ....use something else, I'll have a think on that ???

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001

The problem with that its a charity which is funded by donations i think we need a income based style funding or something small enough so the locals can see what a difference it makes and fund it or join it.

however its a good idea and it understood we need something anything is something.

Well, there is national lottery funding, and the crazy frog prince has a trust that dolls out training and cash??

We use to be a community driven society, but the last few years it has declined so much.. be nice to have something back in a communities that create communities again..

good luck

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
To me the word militia conjures up a vision of something in between Hitlers Brown-shirts and Dads Army!
There is already provision for help and rescue through existing organisations though admittedly it is probably not enough and too fragmented. But if we did set up anything extra, it needs to be called anything other than militia.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

something worth thinking about, thanks

We need something extra what we have is not enough.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

like i said in another post it could be changeds to a organisation because i dotn care about the name its the idea i like.

maybe i was wrong in suggesting calling this group a miltia because it scres people what ever the name is the aim is to help people.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Remember you can't start canvasing for support on here like in the Uk ATS members core threads.

It would be great, but realism is needed, nowaydays people are told not to do anything if it dosent grant you money. Altruism has been done away with in the common man.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Incendia vox]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Incendia vox

well these thing need to change and i hope even if i dont succeed i hope i make people aware on how much a tight community is needed.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i wonder how much extra help this group could of given people today and tomorrow with all this snow.

Its needed i am glad people can see it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join