It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Where was FEMA?

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
admin edit: The email that is the basis for this thread is a HOAX. Thread is moved to the HOAX Forum.
***********************************************************

So, I came across this email the other day and it caught my interest. I searched for a similar post here, but didn't see one. It may piss some people off and for others here on ATS they will simply agree with me. Hurricane Katrina was a disaster..... things that happened to innocent people were horrible. The tragedy and heartache of many should never have happened. After the storm, of course there was the "blame game." And, like no surprise the blame eventually fell on President Bush. Now, I voted for Bush, but I didn't agree with many of the things he did. I know some people will try to pull politics into this, simply because Bush was the President then, but in reality local governments are responsible to help their communities before the storm. FEMA comes in afterwards...right?? And so I give you this.......
"Emergency Weather Bulletin

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan after a severe snow storm ...

The Mining Journal, Marquette, MI

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern part of Michigan we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.




FYI:


Obama did not come.


FEMA did nothing.


No one howled for the government.


No one blamed the government.


No one even uttered an expletive on TV.


Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.


Our Mayor's did not blame Obama or anyone else.


Our Governor did not blame Obama or anyone else either.


CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC did not visit - or even report on this category 5 snow storm.




Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.


No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand,
No Brad Pitt, No Hollywood types to be found.






Nope, we just melted the snow for water..


Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.


The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.


Local restaurants made food, and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snow bound families..


Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.




We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".


We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.


Even though a Category 5 blizzard of this scale is not usual, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.






Maybe .....
SOME people will get the message ......
The world does Not owe you a living."

This shows me that people can HELP THEMSELVES. You see, me personally, I don't need the government to get me out of situations, I have the brains and the know how to do it myself. I guess some people don't.



Admin Note: this has been shown to be a hoax.
www.snopes.com...

Thanks to johng1961 for finding it.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Crakeur]

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Springer]




posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
How is a lake effect snow storm comparable to Katrina? Give me a break. Do you still have a house? Will the community still be devastated 3 years later? Did you have to evacuate? You are comparing apples and frozen crabapples.

I live in Madison, WI, and we recently had a 14 inch blizzard followed rapidly plunging temps that rendered salt ineffective. You should have heard how the tea-baggers howled at the city government for the roads not being perfect. You can't have it both ways.

It is time to admit that humans are social creatures that depend on community for survival. I'm glad the community came together to help, that's the way it should be. However, I bet that plenty of people in your community do receive food stamps, heating oil assistance, and unemployment compensation, so don't act like you all are totally self-sufficient uber-humans that don't leech of the system (as teabaggers would pejoratively put it) anymore than anyone else.

You know when that F-5 tornado hits, you will be waiting for Obama and FEMA to both help with initial survival requirements and ongoing rebuilding efforts. It is crucial that this country be able to bounce back from a hit, and that requires BIG government. The best offense is a good defense (something rich Rodriguez could learn, lol), and that type of infrastructure investment requires BIG government. I know you don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/5/2010 by skunknuts]



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm glad the storm was a postive experience for you. My house has been flooded during Hurricane gaston and although it did some damage and cost us alot of money it was still a positive event. Our neighbors got money from FEMA to replace their subflooring and heating/ac ductwork but we did'nt bother. We took down all the ducts, washed them out and replaced them. Did the same with the heat pump and several appliances; we took them apart, cleaned them and made them work again. We could have claimed $15,000 but being good citizens we thought we could save our govt some money. Some folks would call me an idiot for that but so be it: I was taught you can only rightfully have what you work for. God bless my parents, they rock!
It is amazing how storms can bring people together and totally change their ways of interaction. We lose money during such times but what we gain in humanity is well worth it IMO.
Good on you for dealing with it as you have, you're like the last american frontier up there!



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
One thing to remember is that people in that part of the country are used to being accountable for their well-being and NOT 100% reliant on handouts, entitlements and free-be's. The generations teach each other to rely on family, friends, hard work and societal instincts to manage day-to-day survival. They understand that "he who helps himself - helps himself"

Lots of snow = more shoveling



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Where I live we've seen blizzards, temps of -70F, and the rivers flooding and destroying homes and property. And I got to tell you....its a wonderful sight when the community pulls together!

Even people who can't stand eachother work side by side filling sandbags to help protect the home of someone they may not even know.

We had no National Guard (except for the Guardsmen who were working to help save their own homes and their neighbors) when we have an Air Force base AND an Army fort nearby FULL of Guardsmen. FEMA did nothing except hand out some pamphlets and cut a few welfare folks some tiny checks.

My dad and myself spent two years sifting through the wreckage and repairing the damage. If I ever have to hang another piece of drywall it'll be to soon! lol

But to have airboats roaring through what WAS your front yard, and rescuing the musher's dog-teams who are treading water on top of their houses is kind of heart breaking. But atleast we got to sit on the tailgate of the Ford, drink beer, and watch eagles pluck fish out the water flowing down the highway and the yards.

But people really CAN come together. Its really inspiring to see! Almost gives one hope for humanity....almost!



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts
 

I would like to point out that where I live we suffered through a major hurricane prior to Katrina. I live on the Gulf Coast. At one point water was pouring through the roof. Afterwards, there was no electricity, no water, no sewage, no cell phones, no land lines....we made do, and put whatever we could up on what was left of the roof to prevent further rain damage inside the house. We chose to stay in our house before the hurricane, and after as well. I did not hear people in my town screaming obscenities at the government, or blaming the government because they chose to stay and not listen to all the authorities who were telling one and all to leave.
We all cleaned up the incredible amount of debris, and believe me uprooted trees, debris, and dead animals can really smell after a while....and slowly things were put back to normal. Did it happen overnight? No. Did it take several years ? Yes.
Not to be overly critical, but the people who were blaming the feds should have been blaming 1.their inept mayor who did not want to make a decision and use all the Amtrak trains, city buses, and school buses that were available. Or, 2. blame the equally inept governor who also could not make a decision, and last of all 3. blame themselves for deciding to stay in town , and wait for the government to come along and take care of them. What idiots, but after all, Louisiana is a corrupt state full of people who have been taken care of from "cradle to grave".



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Victoria 1
 


Wait a minute ... are you comparing a once in a lifetime event with something that happens all the time in order to make a tenuous point?


They get feet of regular and lake effect snow in Michigan, heck they're getting more as we speak. They're used to it and deal with it by declaring local snow emergencies.

Why on earth would FEMA go up there for that unless the state asks them to?

And more importantly, why would anyone want them there?
It's not like they were that helpful with Katrina.

And what the heck is this?


We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".


Well congrats, you are my hero ... you have earned that county emergency manager status fo sure!



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elienne
reply to post by skunknuts
 

I would like to point out that where I live we suffered through a major hurricane prior to Katrina. I live on the Gulf Coast. At one point water was pouring through the roof. Afterwards, there was no electricity, no water, no sewage, no cell phones, no land lines....we made do, and put whatever we could up on what was left of the roof to prevent further rain damage inside the house. We chose to stay in our house before the hurricane, and after as well. I did not hear people in my town screaming obscenities at the government, or blaming the government because they chose to stay and not listen to all the authorities who were telling one and all to leave.
We all cleaned up the incredible amount of debris, and believe me uprooted trees, debris, and dead animals can really smell after a while....and slowly things were put back to normal. Did it happen overnight? No. Did it take several years ? Yes.
Not to be overly critical, but the people who were blaming the feds should have been blaming 1.their inept mayor who did not want to make a decision and use all the Amtrak trains, city buses, and school buses that were available. Or, 2. blame the equally inept governor who also could not make a decision, and last of all 3. blame themselves for deciding to stay in town , and wait for the government to come along and take care of them. What idiots, but after all, Louisiana is a corrupt state full of people who have been taken care of from "cradle to grave".



I'm glad you made the best of things. I live in the Midwest, and love severe storms, but I imagine hurricane season must be something else....

Can you please say what storm, and about where you were in the story you told?

Thanks!

SN



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
One just have to look at the attitudes of two different areas that were affected by Hurricane Katrina.

The worse hit area, as far as damage and storm surge, Gulf Coast and Biloxi, MS did not complain, they evacuated, they got to higher ground. They came back in and started rebuilding. They did not wait for a government hand-out nor wait for FEMA. They took care of their community.

The other area, New Orleans, did the exact opposite and was just pointing fingers in hopes of a political victory while their people were badly affected.

What a shame and what a sham.



posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by Victoria 1
 


Wait a minute ... are you comparing a once in a lifetime event with something that happens all the time in order to make a tenuous point?


They get feet of regular and lake effect snow in Michigan, heck they're getting more as we speak. They're used to it and deal with it by declaring local snow emergencies.

Why on earth would FEMA go up there for that unless the state asks them to?

And more importantly, why would anyone want them there?
It's not like they were that helpful with Katrina.

And what the heck is this?


We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".


Well congrats, you are my hero ... you have earned that county emergency manager status fo sure!



Once in a lifetime event are you serious? Do you have a TV? Hurricanes blast that area of the US 5or 6 times a year.

The way i see it is if you live in an area that has regular natural distars Deal with it or move.
The huricane Katrina victims were living BELOW SEA LEVEL and they deserved everything they got.



posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Text Yellowreply to post by Victoria 1
 


Unbelievable how excited people get over something that's not even true:

Look at this
www.snopes.com...

Waaaaaaaa my house got destroyed....Waaaaaaaa I didn't listen to the news reports about a huricane coming....Waaaaaaa build me a new house......Waaaaaaa



posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by johng1961
 


lol, well spotted.


Just another HOAX from the hate peddlers ...


[edit on 6 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]



posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
One just have to look at the attitudes of two different areas that were affected by Hurricane Katrina.

The worse hit area, as far as damage and storm surge, Gulf Coast and Biloxi, MS did not complain, they evacuated, they got to higher ground. They came back in and started rebuilding. They did not wait for a government hand-out nor wait for FEMA. They took care of their community.

The other area, New Orleans, did the exact opposite and was just pointing fingers in hopes of a political victory while their people were badly affected.

What a shame and what a sham.

Right --
Even though the "email story" in the OP is false, what you said is very true.

I have an acquaintance who lives near Biloxi who said that entire neighborhoods were destroyed by Katrina. According to her, the damage was worse than the damage to New Orleans.

She says the same thing you say -- she can't figure out why the people of New Orleans spent all of their energy finger-pointing while people in Biloxi banded together and spent their energy rebuilding their neighborhoods and businesses.

Sure, they took emergency relief money from the government, but they did so in a quietly dignified manner.

In retrospect, she said she is a little perturbed at the public reaction to New Orleans (i.e., the outpouring of support from the rest of America) vs. the lack of public reaction to Biloxi...
...and she actually feels ashamed for feeling this "envy", but it's hard to blame her for being a bit perturbed.



[edit on 1/6/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]



posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People
 


It was devastating. I saw both areas first hand. I saw both areas pre-Katrina also.

The famous Coast Highway that was teeming with businesses and homes......gone......all of it. Only the largest structures survived.

The damage in New Orleans was bad to, but not utter destruction. New Orleans took flood damage and some wind damage. Gulf Coast took flood, wind and storm surge damage.

Nearly everyone I talked to while I was there for 3 months just wanted to get back to life. No waiting around. They all understood they lived in a hurricane prone area and understood the risks they took. They also understood no amount of government could ever stop Mother Nature and Her destructive powers.

But it's easier to blame FEMA, Bush, whomever....except ourselves



posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts
 


The major hurricane was Hurricane Ivan, and Pensacola got the Northeast quadrant ( this is the worst section of a hurricane ). I was out of power for a month. It was a devastating hurricane for Pensacola, and there were fatalities.



posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts
 


You are not understanding what I am saying obviously. I understand that some people don't have to know how to get things sometimes so I will explain in little words for you to get it.
I wasn't comparing Katrina to a snow storm. What I was doing, was comparing the people's response. You see, the people in this city came together, helped eachother and they go through it. They didn't blame the government. They didn't blame at all....... They took initative and did what they had to do with the circumtances they had.
Unlike the mess from Katrina and the blame game. And if you read what I wrote at all you would see that this was an email I received and quoted. I didn't write the entire thing.
Is that simple enough for you to understand or should I go through it again?



new topics

top topics



 
6

log in

join