It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming or a New Ice Age?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher73

Originally posted by melatonin

lol. How pathetic. We are in now in an interglacial. The recent increasing CO2 (ca. 35% increase cf. prior baseline) is simply a result of our burning stuff.

Like your understanding of this issue, don't overestimate how compelling you are.

The general term "ice age" or, more precisely, "glacial age" denotes a geological period of long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in an expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. An ice age is a natural system. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of extra cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials". Glaciologically, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres;[1] by this definition we are still in the ice age that began at the start of the Pleistocene (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist).[2]

You mad?

Whose understanding of what?

And warming during an ice-age (from a glacial period; i.e., ice age warming) leads to what? An interglacial. We are in an interglacial. CO2 during the warming that leads to an interglacial is a feedback from an initial orbital variation. CO2 from our burning stuff is a forcing not a feedback.

Arguing semantics is pretty tedious. But I guess it's all you have left once disrobed to a petite naked emperor.

Youre pitiful frankly, and Im done destroying you, the DENIER.

lol

[edit on 7-1-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

You can cease "forcing" very simply, you know. Anyone who believes that such an insignificant infection as man can overwhelm Gaia is deluded and intoxicated of her own hubris.

It is impossible for mankind to affect the Earth but for our little polluted blots in those spaces she's allowed us to inhabit.

Take all of humanity, and we occupy a space less than 20 square miles, we are nothing.

When we're gone it will be over.

deny ignorance
jw

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Oh, people, you are all SOOO worried about a few degrees difference in the particular area that you have lived in for the last few years.

Well let me tell you something - the climate on this earth does not change dramatically over 5 years. Or even 50 years. Or even the 300 years that the industrial revolution has being so-called "destroying" the earth.

CLIMATE CHANGE OCCURS OVER TENS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS!

WE ARE COMING TO THE END OF AN ICE AGE!

OF COURSE THE CLIMATE IS BECOMING HOTTER!!!!

AND MORE VARIABLE FOR ALL OF YOU WHO THINK ITS GETTING COLDER!!!!

There is evidence of this in rocks but particularly the glaciers where scientists can document the thickness of the ice up to about 20 000 years ago.

And yes the sea levels will rise - how do you think that we have FOSSIL sites where there used to be INLAND SEAS.

Of course I agree that pollution is disgusting and we should try our utmost to minimise this, I must state that GLOBAL WARMING IS A NATURAL EARTH PROCESS AND HAS BEEN AROUND LONG BEFORE WE EVOLVED OUT OF CHIMPS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO LONG AFTER WE ARE GONE!

I have studied at university under some of the most pre-eminent scientists in the world, and most agree that global warming is a natural process - but it is easier to get study grants if they are able to say that their study might save the human race from itself. It's all politics.

I'm an Australian and the federal government here is proposing introducing a "carbon tax" for businesses and households. Sounds to me like now I'm going to start paying wages to the earth. For processes that have being going on for millions of years.

Hopefully I might be able to adopt a dinosaur as a write-off.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join