It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fibromyalgia, Cause and Cure

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

I have a best friend I lost recently who had fibromyalgia, and from his medication combination for the pain he had, he was found dead with an enlarged heart and liver. Could his water had led him to have this happen to him? I didn't read the whole thread it kind of bothered me reading this because of this stuff with my friend I lost.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Fibromyalgia is alleged to take 10-15 years off you life. The meds you take and how you take care of yourself can make that worse. A lot of the meds can damage your liver or heart.

A lot of pain meds can cause addiction and damage and then lose effectiveness. I only take Ibuprofen and even that can damage your liver. Sometimes it always seems a trade off between length or quality of life.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MadameGuillotine

Wow, I am thankful to here this but it really hurts me. I can't believe this, it makes so much sense, he drank a lot of water, all the time, a lot of bottled water too I believe.

I wonder if it's found in bottled water too? I've read it's no better than some house hold water that's not filtered.

What's even worse his his grandmother died at the same house after he did, and his mom and older sister still live there. If this is a possibility I need to tell them now! His mother has the same problems he does.

Holy crap this is not good. If I'm understanding this wrong (sorry didn't read whole thread) please let me know. If you think this is serious also please let me know I will call literally right now to tell them this.

If they die too, I'd feel horrible if I didn't say anything.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Excellent research and thanks for posting it - one thing to remember with fibro as with many illnesses - everyone is different - it is worth trying the diet changes - and giving them time enough time to see if it helps - I found some things that made a difference and some things that didn't change things at all that I happily went back to - I hadn't heard the fluoride part and will definitely try making changes there - right now I am in a flare - pain level is about an 8 and hopefully it won't last too long ... for people with fibro it is important to remember remissions do happen and they can last for a long time - listen to you body during them and you can make the remission last a little longer (no science to back that up - just my experience of almost 30 yrs of having this)

I broke my shoulder in 3 places and had 2 subsequent shoulder surgeries a few years ago - and then last year broke my arm just above my elbow (spiral fracture) and believe me the pain of those things are bad but fibro pain is worse I think because it is unrelenting ..... of course the weather right now is making both my shoulder and arm hum like crazy now which is an added frustration

I think this flare is caused by the fact that I burned my legs badly on Thanksgiving with boiling water - second and third degree burns - and I do think it was the final insult that put me over the edge into this flare ...

fibro fog does have one great benefit - I can read and re-read books and enjoy them like new each time -

oh and another non-scientific thing - no proof or papers or anything - just my feelings - CFS and FMS could very well be caused by the same retro-virus - just presenting with two different sides - more fatigue on the CFS side and more pain on the FMS side - once again only in my opinion as symptoms are different for different people.

you will learn what exacerbates your symptoms and what can send you into a flare as time goes by - the trick then is to try to live in a way that avoids those things as much as possible - much easier said than done btw -

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyhee

The suggestion that borax should be taken by mouth, is, I believe, dangerous. Though the main chemical itself, sodium boron or boride may be non-toxic in small amounts, we don't know what other chemicals are added to borax the laundry detergent. I would edit your article and take that suggestion out as it may very well be dangerous and possibly illegal to recommend.

Thanks for the info on Borax i will look more into it.
I got that info from www.earthclinic.com...
Also a testimony from someone taking Borax for Fibro.

05/25/2009: Denise from Biloxi, Mississippi writes: "Fibro/Flouride:

A brief history. 7 years ago thyroid cancer, the next year adrenal fatigue then early menopause, the following year uterine prolapsed followed by hysterectomy- the following year fibromyalgia and neuropathy. Early Childhood was fluorinated water along with fluoride tablets. Fall of 2008 I was looking at total disability. I could barely walk and couldn't sleep because of the pain and was throwing up daily from the pain in my back. I was on many medications that gave me no relief and I have since found out that they had fluoride as a binding agent. I was sure that my life was over at 45, but thanks to Ted and Earthclinic I am almost at 100%. After reading about fluoride I came to understand where all of my problems originated. I had all the symptoms and reactions. It has been an uphill battle with my doctors and relatives, but you can't argue with a body that is almost pain free. I began the borax detox of 1/8 tsp in a liter of water and within 3 days my symptoms were almost gone. I watch everything I eat and can detect fluoride in vitamins, foods and drinks within 15 minutes of ingesting it. I still suffer from the neuropathy and some pain from the neuropathy but I am off all meds and I have my life. I only wish more people would try to understand the fluoride connections. My sister and mother both suffer with side effects of fluoride and I have only been able to influence my mother. I still borax 5 days on and two days off and give my body a break every month or so for about a week. Thank you
"

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

This stuff you just posted sounds just like my friend, especially the first part, other then the women issues (he was male). They have a well, no filter, and drink a lot of bottled water.

Any info linking bottled water to this as well? (once again sorry for my lack of research myself, I am kind of upset about this and would appreciate it if anyone can show me some info).

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I haven't read all of this, reading it now, but I wanted to share.

Fact Sheet about bottled water and fluride

Some consumers use bottled water as a beverage for various reasons, including as a convenient means of hydration during their activities or as a taste preference. Besides having a cost that is between one-to-five thousand times more expensive than tap water, bottled water may not have a sufficient amount of fluoride, which is important for good oral health. Some bottled waters contain fluoride, and some do not. Fluoride can occur naturally in source waters used for bottling or be added. Most bottled waters contain fluoride at levels that are less than optimal for oral health. This fact sheet covers common questions about bottled water and fluoride.

Source

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
First i want to clear up a misconception fibro is NOT one disorder.
It is a number of disorders that have the same symptoms.

Originally posted by rexusdiablos
rexusdiablos has part of it.
www.angelfire.com...

Most are neuro chemical disorders or neuro receptor disorders.

What works for one will NOT work for all.

Fluoride toxicity "may" cause a small number of fibro cases. very small number.

I will agree with Aspartame (NutraSweet) makes fibro worse but does not cause it.
the same for many other chemical sweeteners except spenda

There is a pain receptor in the nervous system known as NMDA. When pain turns from acute to chronic, it involves opening the NMDA pain receptor. Aspartame, which is classified as an excitotoxin, helps stimulate this to happen. People with fibromyalgia appear to already have overly active NMDA pain receptors, making them even more susceptible to the stimulation.

Caffeine< Yeast and gluten< High Fat Dairy< Nightshade Plants,fried foods, soda pop or any carbonated beverages.
all bogus causes of fibro, but may agregervate fibro in a very few people.

magnesium 400 mg. plus malic acid 600 mg. 3 times a day.L-Lysine 2 grams 2,000 mgs.The herb Rhodiola and also CoQ10
may work for a very few but not all.

5htp (5-hydroxytryptophan,)

A dangerus chemical if you are taking any antidepressant used to treat fibro.
can cause serotonin syndrome.
en.wikipedia.org...

Drinking borax in water is another excellent way to bring up your Ph. Mix 1/8 a tsp. of (that’s right, good old Twenty Mule Team) borax in a liter of water, and drink it once a day, but not all at once. (five days on two days off) What ever form of borax you choose, make sure it’s 100% borax with no additives.

borax you have to be kidding.
Borax, given the E number E285, is used as a food additive in some countries but is banned in the United States.
because of the risk of liver cancer with consumption over a period of 5–10 years.

Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda.
I use them instead of toothpaste, and they never helped with fibro might help a very few with fibro.

Oil Pulling never heard of it used for fibro and i use sunflower oil as cooking oil because of its good fat properties.

Apple Cider Vinegar For Fibromyalgia Pain

might work for a very few but a spoon full of McIlhenny tabasco sauce will work a lot better. see "endorphin rush"

All of the information here has been gathered from the personal statements of fibromyalgia sufferers themselves from many years as a member of menwithfibro.com web site.
menwithfibro.com...

The cause of my fibro is the auto immune disorder sarcoidosis.
autoimmune disorders are very common in people with fibro.
so are thyroid disorders and back injuries.

In the people with back injuries or surgerys this seems to allow something to pass the blood brain barrier and to attack the central nervous system causing fibro. virus ECT but it causes damage like caused by a autoimmune disorder in a area that is protected by the blood brain barrier.

In a autoimmine disorder the body attacks itself.

One of the things that may happen is the autoimmune attack alters the way the body produses neuro chemicals, and the receptors that the chemicals work on,

This can be seen in diabetes. in autoimmune diabetes the attack alters the Insulin producing cells till the insulin is unusable by the body.
Or in type two diabetes it damages the insulin receptors till the cells in the body can not use insulin to process glucose in the cells.

The same thing seems to happens in fibro.
There are a number of drugs that augment neuro chemical that have worked on people with fibro.

If the problem is with the neuro chemical serotonin antidepressants like cymbalta may work. In this group with fibro most are depressed and this is where some doctors think its a mental disorder, (ie all in your head)
But this group is less then 20% of the people with fibro and it only help some with fibro co morbid with depression. having fibro is depressing.
Other neuro chemicals associated with fibro
dopamine
Some people with fibro are helped by Pramipexole (Mirapex)a drug used to treat Parkinson’s disease.. or ropinirole (Requip) that is used for restless leg syndrome. both work by raising the level of dopamine in the body.
www.fmpartnership.org...
These people may also be helped by opioids and medical marijuana as these both raise dopamine levels in the body.

Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid(GABA)
en.wikipedia.org...
people with fibro caused by low levels of GABA are helped by drugs like gabapentin (neurontin)or pregabalin (Lyrica)
These people may also have other neuro disorders co-morbid with there fibro like neuropathy.

You can not cure fibro its damage to these neuro chemical producing cells or the receptors for these neuro chemicals. in this its like diabetes you can only treat the symptoms and in a some cases the body may repair some of the damage.

I also want to add that lyme disease does not cause fibro ether.
The cases of fibro are just as common in areas of the world without lyme disease as in the areas that have lyme disease. plus people from areas of the world without lyme disease will get pissed at you for the BS about lyme disease and bugging them.

Fibro is found around the world in the Frequency in areas with differnt diets and life styles and this in its self shows that most of these so called cures and causes are bogus.

There are also a few disorders with symptoms like fibro that go away on there own. Many may be miss DXed as fibro and people think that they have been cured.
Lyme Disease. Polymyalgia Rheumatica,

and the all in your head part you can blame on a doctor named Simon Wessely that was being payed by the insurance industry to turn fibro into a non disease so that the insurance industry did not have to pay for treatment of people with fibro.
simonwessely.com...
www.meactionuk.org.uk...
disabledfeminists.com... /
niceguidelines.blogspot.com...
bjp.rcpsych.org...
www.satori-5.co.uk...

Now for the nut cases and desperate to come after me for bursting there bubbles. This should be interesting.

And for those with friends or relatives with fibro don't bother them with these cures.
We tend to bite people with scam cures and many of us have heard them all till we are fed up with them.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by awesomebikerbabe

To get rid of fluroide you can just get a filter for your kitchen tap, or a pitcher filter. Those are carbon based and get rid of fluoride.

I've seen a lot of carbon water filters, but I've never yet seen a carbon filter that removes fluoride.

I've you know of any I'd be interested to see them.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

My town has no Fluoride in the water, and yet I, my mother and about 5 of my friends and neighbors have it. I don't think fluoride is the only smoking gun here. There are many theories about the cause.

We eat so many chemicals, live around them, breathe them. We live at a high stress super charged life. Some believe it is a chiropractic problem, some believe it is a wheat allergy, some believe it is genetic.

There are no set answers.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by Bombeni

Hey big boy have a guess why I'm responding in this thread ?

Yup unbelievable but true lol

My first symptoms started about 15 years ago and developed into a chronic state and on a number of occasions would end up being taken from work straight to A&E often passed out.

Here's the thing I was never ill, when I say never I mean literally I never missed a days work in over 20 years my medical records were still on paper !! last visit around the age of 14 .

No bugs viruses just the hangovers at the weekend lol .

Decided to replace my sugar intake with the new wonderstuff Canderel (Aspartame) 2 per cup many many cups per day for over a year.

That is the only thing I can think of that was so different in my life before I started down the road of misery.

I cannot produce evidence of this of course but the only other toxic crap i consumed was in food or beer.

People beware sodium nitrate !!!!!!!

Also beware of Dr Quacks " monavie," it contains Sodium Benzoate .

Helpful tips ? - Forget hugging a tree hug a radiator

You didn't say if you still have the condition? I hope you "outgrew" it. I know it has been a nightmare for so many people who could not find a doctor to recognize the validity of their condition, that would be a big bummer. It is more accepted as valid now but still not really understood.

All the chemicals in our atmosphere, water, food, etc. are to blame for all this cancer and fibro, etc.

One thing I think it a big culprit is MSG; fast food companies use it to get people hooked on their lousy food. I read an article that explained that MSG excites brain neurons, makes them go crazy shortly after ingesting which is why people get "addictions" to Taco Bell, McDonald's. etc. I am going to get serious one day about cleaning up my diet.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
An Aunt of mine was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago. Previously she had part of her thyroid removed and in the late 90's a serious back operatio. In the last 2 1/2 years she has been like a different person, forgetting things like dates, times, Christmas and having mood swings, hearing loss and being agitated.

This time last year Myself, my Mom (Aunts sister) and my Sister went on holiday/vacation. We noticed my Aunt was really agitated and she was so confused that she went into the Gents toilet/restroom and another incident she erupted over nothing.

On returning from the holiday/vacation I looked into her tablets and found she was taking Venlafxine which she doesn't know why or when she was prescribed. I did think venlafaxine was the cause of her state but after reading this thread now think the fibromyalgia could be the cause.

I have little faith in her Doctor, my Aunt's son told me the Doctor said my Aunt must always stay on Venlafxine because of her condition or else she will get worse. He did'nt say what the condition was. Also the Doctor sent someone to assess my Aunt and had her drawing chimney pots which I find demeaning and ridiculous.

My Aunt is 79 and has had physical problems although she has said she is now free from back pain but does complain of pain in her legs. On a good day she can talk and have a normal conversation but on a bad day she will forget something she has just been told or not know what is going on. "Brain Fog" is a clear description of her condition which I think could be cured by stopping the Venlafaxine, herbal remedies and listening to negative comments.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Warm Greetings,

On my previous posts on this subject I listed the many medications that were prescribed to me among them Oxycontin. I not only became addicted, it is a synthetic heroin, but in combination with the other meeds I did not feel any better. In fact I was worse. If I could give one piece of advise, it would be to stay away from medications. There are lots of natural remedies available now, ones that do not simply mask your symptoms, but actually provide relief without addiction.

Also chiropractic adjustments are good, I used to go once a week. Treatments from a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Acupuncturist provided the best and longest lasting relief. I emphasize a TCM practitioner because they will support the treatments with custom blended herbal tea. I was very reluctant at first because I do not like needles, but the ones used are so small and thin, and when applied by a skilled professional are hardly felt. I even had a few Out of Body Experiences while lying on the table, very nice.

It is absolutely critical to maintain a well balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies at the lowest possible caloric level that you can tolerate. The less energy your body has to spend on digestion, the more energy it can apply to healing. No artificial sweeteners, use organic sugar to make Kool-aid or to sweeten ice tea.

This may be the hardest part, but force yourself to do something physical. For me, Tai Chi was the best. Its slow methodical movements are perfect therapy.

Above all; stick with it, hang in there, and do not give up. There are so many support resources and people available today, and we are all here to help.

Peace,
rufus51

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
late '93 i started getting sick, but early '95 i was out of the navy on medical reasons. i have been thoroughly checked out by navy, V.A. and finally private doctors and tried just about everything i have heard. my condition continues to deteriorate.

i wanted to add my experience here. as a friend of a sufferer i feel the best thing you can do is be supportive and respect your friend. im not saying don't look into things (it might help you understand a little more) or don't go to them with what you found (there is a chance they havnt heared of what you found). i am saying i personally get tired of non sufferers tell me what it really is im suffering from, the 500th "well have you tried X" and my favorite "well just get up and do something". follow the supportive and respectful up with some patients and forgiveness if possible as i have more than once completely lost my cool with good friends who were only trying to help. beyond that there isn't much you can do.

for those suffering i agree with ... 2 people who posted before me, if i can ill edit to add their names. not sure how to look back from here. anyway, in my experience every sufferer is different and what works for one does not mean it works for all. avoiding as much overly processed stuff and just plain chemical filled things as i can does help me. a vegetarian diet did not. different pills did seem to help some, others did nothing. do try to give anything you try enough time to see if it will help, some of em knocked me on my backside before seeing any improvement, others just kept me on my backside. its not easy but try to listen to your body see what makes things worse and what seems to help. i have found that to be more help than any doctor was. tho i have had better luck with eastern medicine than western, except chiropractors. but i have heard of others doing well with them, but i cant for the life of me see how. my chiropractor experiences were almost as bad as the navy doctors who thought i was faking and the docs who just wanted to study the condition in a young healthy looking male. ( i found out they call it being a guinee pig because by time they are done you are squeeling like one)

i hope some of that might help someone, im glad i got a little venting off my chest. so i guess ill wrap this up. im sure ill hear if anything was inappropriate. take care all.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by mutly]

wanted to add justme1640 and anned i believe were the two i mentioned agreeing with earlier. also i saw rufus posted as i was writing and i wanted to say i agree with the eastern practices giving me the best results also. my problem with chiropractors could of been the few i went to were not good and they hurt so bad i stopped looking for more. i have had bad acupuncturists also but i have had good ones before the bad ones so i kept looking till i found another. i also agree with the tai chi, great low impact. i have problems with the activity (even tai chi and walking) but ignoring the back problems when i can, the activity does seem to help the "fibro" . pain killers never worked well for me. if they did work at all they usualy had nasty side effects making things worse. if you are in an area where medicinal marijuana is legal i would suggest giving that a try as it helps with the pain, but not so much with the fog. tho i did get better mine sweeper scores "medicated" when i was on the program.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by mutly]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
A final and very important personal contribution to this topic, that of suicide. There are studies that have shown that up to 30% of fibromyalgia sufferers take their own lives. The never ending pain, fatigue, plus the laundry list of other symptoms makes you feel that "death has to be better than a life like this".

I was right there on the edge looking over and down. I went through different scenarios in my mind and discarded the idea of putting a bullet in my head because of the mess and trauma it would leave behind, plus it leaves no doubt that it was a suicide nullifying the life insurance. I thought about pulling out in front of a speeding semi-truck, but that would not be fair to the vehicle's driver. I settled on speeding my car into a solid embankment like a bridge support, or simply driving off a steep roadside and head-on into a tree. I was tired and I was ready.

But one thought, or tugging, or whatever you wish to call it stopped me, "Life is a precious gift and it is not yours to take." I kept hearing that in my head over and over. A soft gentle voice, reassuring and nonjudgmental, but persistent.

So here I am free from a negative marriage, free from chemical addictions (had to go to jail to do it, not recommended), and best of all free from fibromyalgia. I have a simple life unburdened by the material trappings of the past, nothing fancy but I have all that I need. No matter how you terrible feel today, there is always hope and I am here to tell you that miracles are real. God, or the Universe, or The Force, loves you, and I love you.

Peace,
rufus51

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
A final and very important personal contribution to this topic, that of suicide. There are studies that have shown that up to 30% of fibromyalgia sufferers take their own lives. The never ending pain, fatigue, plus the laundry list of other symptoms makes you feel that "death has to be better than a life like this".

I was right there on the edge looking over and down. I went through different scenarios in my mind and discarded the idea of putting a bullet in my head because of the mess and trauma it would leave behind, plus it leaves no doubt that it was a suicide nullifying the life insurance. I thought about pulling out in front of a speeding semi-truck, but that would not be fair to the vehicle's driver. I settled on speeding my car into a solid embankment like a bridge support, or simply driving off a steep roadside and head-on into a tree. I was tired and I was ready.

But one thought, or tugging, or whatever you wish to call it stopped me, "Life is a precious gift and it is not yours to take." I kept hearing that in my head over and over. A soft gentle voice, reassuring and nonjudgmental, but persistent.

So here I am free from a negative marriage, free from chemical addictions (had to go to jail to do it, not recommended), and best of all free from fibromyalgia. I have a simple life unburdened by the material trappings of the past, nothing fancy but I have all that I need. No matter how you terrible feel today, there is always hope and I am here to tell you that miracles are real. God, or the Universe, or The Force, loves you, and I love you.

Peace,
rufus51

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rufus51

I've looked over that edge a few times myself, Rufus. It's a tough place. Fibro also effects your brains and emotions, lethargy and apathy is a huge symptom and one over looked too often. It's hard to fight when you can barely get out of bed and don 't feel it's worth it.

Also marriages are TWICE AS LIKELY TO FAIL when one partner has fibro. (that means fibro marriages have only a 25% success rate. ) That destroys families and pushes the fibromite further toward that place where taking ones own life seems an answer.

If anyone has fibromyalgia, they really do need a support system in place.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Flouride is akmost omnipresent.Teflon is polytetraflouroethylene, as are many coronary bypass grafts.Compounds containing the flourine anion (flouride) are used to make Gore=Tex. Springwater contains it naturally. Ocean water has even more. flouride is just the element flourine with an extra electron, making it a negatively charged ion. As a halide it is reactive, but not nearly as much as, say, chlorine. If you ever get a PET scan, you will almost certainly be injected with ludeoxyglucose (FDG), a glucose analog, tagged with the positron-emitting radioactive isotope fluorine-18. fluorine-18 decays to an oxygen isotope 18O by emitting a positron, which can be detected when it annihilates. It is in aspiri and tylenol, and the antibiotic Cipro (ciprofloxin) and in many antipsychotics and anasthetics like halene.
As aforensic scientist, I often use flouride compound identification to peg the origin of a deceased person. Different compounds are used in different places, like sodium flouride or hexafluorosilicic acid (H2SiF6) . Some foreign countries flouridate table salt instead of water.
If flouride caused medical problems, everyone would suffer them. And Brita, Pur and most other filters do not remove flouride and most bottled water still has flouride, unless t says it's filtered by a reverse osmosis method. Boiling your water just concentrates the flouride, not removing it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

When you bathe or take a shower, the flouoride does enter your pores and its even more dangerous than drinking it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

I have fibro and so does my MIL

Actually, I have heard sufferers before claim that their fibro is an onset of trauma.

Some can even pin point to when it started after an event.

A lot of depression and bipolar sufferers also have chronic pain issues.

Whish is probably why the first thing docs give you is an anti depressant.

It may very well be a chemical reaction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join