It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS made me more skeptical

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Just popped in here to say a few things:

Interesting that you all should bring up the concepts of 'nothingness' in this thread, about 2012, because, as having done a very minimal amount of research, I accidentally stumbled upon an interesting little artifact in the book I was reading:

The Nothing That Is: A Natural History Of Zero

There is a chapter which is devoted to the Mayans. The Mayans praised their mathematicians (and rightly so!) because their calendars were such complex beasts, their mechanisms only able to work with numerous amounts of calendars, one calendar for a 360 day cycle (a perfect circle, makes sense) another calendar which included the 5 'ghost days' (the true cycle of the earth, 365.25) and another calendar for the so called 'synoptic' cycle of mars, and another 'synoptic' calendar for the cycle of venus (which is how long it takes for the respective planets to disappear behind the sun)

so you can see, clearly, that their calendars were very complex and it WOULD take a mathematician to correlate all of them together (which is, actually, one reason i think it's all bull*, because it's just like OCD for counting by on a societal level)

what does nothingness have to do with it? the Mayans, oddly enough, I believe, used a decimal system, meaning they counted by 10's like we do

they had 9 gods of the underworld (one for each digit) and then one Death God (Zero), every once in a while, when they believed an 'end of time' was going to come about, they did brutal and violent sacrifices to the Death God (zero) which involved ripping the lower jaw of the sacrificed off. They believed in circular systems, meaning they didn't believe in a definite 'end of time' however, their complex calendars sometimes all correlated together at one point which would indicate the 'end of the circle' so to speak, and felt the need to perform ritual sacrifices, to, essentially, nothingness.

BTW: I wasn't researching the mayans, I was simply researching the history of the 'number' zero. It's very interesting, and I most definitely recommend the book to anyone interested.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LususNaturae
Just popped in here to say a few things:

Interesting that you all should bring up the concepts of 'nothingness' in this thread, about 2012, because, as having done a very minimal amount of research, I accidentally stumbled upon an interesting little artifact in the book I was reading:

The Nothing That Is: A Natural History Of Zero

There is a chapter which is devoted to the Mayans. The Mayans praised their mathematicians (and rightly so!) because their calendars were such complex beasts, their mechanisms only able to work with numerous amounts of calendars, one calendar for a 360 day cycle (a perfect circle, makes sense) another calendar which included the 5 'ghost days' (the true cycle of the earth, 365.25) and another calendar for the so called 'synoptic' cycle of mars, and another 'synoptic' calendar for the cycle of venus (which is how long it takes for the respective planets to disappear behind the sun)

so you can see, clearly, that their calendars were very complex and it WOULD take a mathematician to correlate all of them together (which is, actually, one reason i think it's all bull*, because it's just like OCD for counting by on a societal level)

what does nothingness have to do with it? the Mayans, oddly enough, I believe, used a decimal system, meaning they counted by 10's like we do

they had 9 gods of the underworld (one for each digit) and then one Death God (Zero), every once in a while, when they believed an 'end of time' was going to come about, they did brutal and violent sacrifices to the Death God (zero) which involved ripping the lower jaw of the sacrificed off. They believed in circular systems, meaning they didn't believe in a definite 'end of time' however, their complex calendars sometimes all correlated together at one point which would indicate the 'end of the circle' so to speak, and felt the need to perform ritual sacrifices, to, essentially, nothingness.

BTW: I wasn't researching the mayans, I was simply researching the history of the 'number' zero. It's very interesting, and I most definitely recommend the book to anyone interested.

I have that book! It´s a cool book. Bought it at the university bookstore many years ago.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Couldn't have said it better muzzle.
If critical thought is a mind control technique then I guess me and alot of others on here must be zombies.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If you don't approach everything with a skeptical eye, you risk becoming a fool, a fool to be manipulated.
After you've exhausted all rational explanations, then you can cautiously start believing it possible.

It's everyones job to debunk first, then maybe believe later.

Who wants to believe in something false? I know I don't, neither should you.

Question everything, that is my philosophy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join