It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dark tower officially opened

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
After six years of construction, the Burj Khalifa is now the tallest structure ever built by humanity. Built in the middle of a desolate wasteland, this ebullient monument to decadence and oppression will one day tower over the post-apocalyptic ruins of what was once Dubai.

The Burj Khalifa ; miracle of human skills or tower of Babel ?

www.cnn.com...

[...]
"As with any project, SOM's architects and engineers learned a great deal and are ready to apply this to the next world's tallest building as it is certainly possible to go taller," it said.
Despite such lofty claims, the Burj Khalifa -- and other construction projects including the Palm Jumeirah and World archipelagos of man-made islands built for the super-rich -- have cast a financial shadow over Dubai. Last year the emirate shocked investors by asking for a freeze on payments owed on its $26 billion in debts. The announcement by Dubai World -- an umbrella group which includes the Burj Khalifa's developers --delivered a cold dose of reality to speculators worldwide who believed the oil-rich region was impervious to the global financial crisis.[...]

Credits to The Horses Ass : forums.somethingawful.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Must be the only skyscraper int he world where the penthouse views are more dismal and depressing than the basement boiler room.

IRM

[edit on 5/1/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceGoatsFarts

sup goon

www.youtube.com...

First thing I did was google to see if there was any base jumping videos.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Happyfeet]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Sounds like a modern day tower of babel. So, where do we find todays sodom and gamorrah?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Oh come on... just because it was not built in some big American city doen't mean it's a pure creation of Evil!

It's actually, hands down, an impressive building, even though I'm never gonna have anything to do with it.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Many of you wouldn't be saying these things, if this tower was built in America. You'd all be praising it and boasting about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Wow. That looks ominous.

I almost expect to see a field of roses surrounding it.........

Childe Rolande to the Dark Tower came!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet

sup goon

More a lurker than a real goon. But that may change

[edit on 5-1-2010 by SpaceGoatsFarts]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by divinetragedy79
Sounds like a modern day tower of babel. So, where do we find todays sodom and gamorrah?

Ah thats an easy one
I will give You a hint , it is also located in a desert just not the same continent

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceGoatsFarts

Burj Khalifa the Tower of Babel?

It's a pipsqueak compared to this: Ladies and Gents, I give you the Burj Mubarak al-Kabir...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed708a18a12f.jpg[/atsimg]

Now that's big.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The £1 billion Burj Dubai is at least 2,683ft from its base to the tip of its spire

Gee,how do ya make such a tall building for that money?
Answer:

Human rights groups and workers’ organisations say the tower has been built using “slave labour”. Construction workers, mainly from India and Pakistan, toiled round the clock for as little as $5 a day.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

The £1 billion Burj Dubai is at least 2,683ft from its base to the tip of its spire

Gee,how do ya make such a tall building for that money?
Answer:

Human rights groups and workers’ organisations say the tower has been built using “slave labour”. Construction workers, mainly from India and Pakistan, toiled round the clock for as little as $5 a day.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

It's not a secret that Dubaï is built by slaves. When they arrive there, their passports are stolen. Also they have to work whatever the temperature. They live outside the city. I've seen at least 3 documentaries about that.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Must be the only skyscraper int he world where the penthouse views are more dismal and depressing than the basement boiler room.

From penthouse in Bourj Khalifa, you can see across the Persian Gulf. Did I say that you get to see the complete span of the Persian Gulf? Not so shabby in my book. Of course, some people (maybe those who dwell in boiler rooms) don't know this.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
cheerier photo

still cheerier

i think it is beautiful!!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So, who's taking the odds for when it'll get flown into??

Just for the heck of it I'm going for Dec 21, 2012.

-m0r

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Is it me or does that building remind anyone of something that would look normal on say Caprica... the home planet in Battlestar Galactica...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i say we send in a special forces team in hindu slave attire with lots of thermite then fly a 747 cargo jet made too look like a Israeli passenger jet stuff it full of cadavers and fly it into the tower just kidding lol nobody would fall for that trick twice.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

the Prince sure throws a good shindig, you have to admit!

those fireworks were over the top
(pun intended)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
holy # that really looks like the dark tower in the book

ka really is a wheel we all turn on. Would anyone believe me if i said i finish the dark towers 7th book last night, come on here, just out of curiousity i search the dark tower, and low and behold there is a new thread started today called the dark tower! well its true

i swear to Gan this is true!

the man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed

[edit on 22-7-2010 by thedarktower]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
Wow. That looks ominous.

I almost expect to see a field of roses surrounding it.........

Do you mean poppies?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join