It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive Nearby Star Could Threaten Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
New observations of the white dwarf and its sun-like stellar companion are giving scientists a better understanding of the star's precarious position as a possible supernova, astronomers said here today at the 215th meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

The two stars are in a close binary system called T Pyxidis, located in the Southern Hemisphere constellation Pyxis ("The Compass Box"). Researchers found that the system is only 3,260 light-years from our solar system – far closer than anyone previously thought. (A light-year is the distance that light travels in one Earth year, or about 6 trillion miles.)

The new findings suggest the white dwarf, considered close to us by cosmic standards, could eventually go supernova. Gamma radiation emitted by the supernova could threaten the Earth with an energy equivalent to 1,000 simultaneous solar flares.

The production of nitrous oxides in Earth's atmosphere by the gamma rays could completely destroy the ozone layer, astronomers said.
Read the full article at www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Well umm....thats not too good.
Should I quit my player ways and find a real mate before I stick my ass up in the air?
How long away are they thinking this might happen?
Should I cash in my peter piper pizza tokens?

Edit- I would read the entire article right now, but my browser is giving me problems. Sorry.

Edit#2- I got the link to work. WE ARE ALL SAFE!!

-From Article-

"Demise, if it comes, won't be anytime soon, however: Scientists' calculations suggest that the star will explode in about 10 million years, said Edward Sion, a member of the research team from Villanova University in Villanova, Pa."

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
10 millions years, eh? Well that's good news. I'm sure within the next thousand years the human race will be more than capable of intergalactic travel of some kind, so no biggie at all.

Interesting find, S&F.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkangle2bad

The two stars are in a close binary system called T Pyxidis, located in the Southern Hemisphere constellation Pyxis ("The Compass Box"). Researchers found that the system is only 3,260 light-years from our solar system – far closer than anyone previously thought. (A light-year is the distance that light travels in one Earth year, or about 6 trillion miles.)
www.space.com...

I wonder what type of mathematical formula they used to gauge the distance to the stars and if they are using the same one for other stars as well.
I hope their calculations for this doomsday scenario are also flawed.

Could this possibly be the next uncontrollable thing to fear? Exploding stars? Is Al Gore working on a Supernova Containment Facility as we speak? I'm just not feelin' scared enough

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Here's how they measure the distance of a star. I think there's also a method developed by Hubble* (don't quote me) on using the relative brightness of a star and where it ends up on the color spectrum.

www.windows.ucar.edu...=/kids_space/star_dist.html&fr=t&edu=mid

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
some people will exaggerate anything just to get some attention. it's like saying a fire cracker is going to blow at my house and 900 billion people will die.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Astronomy is primitive. There's NO possible way for scientists to say how far so and so is because they can't comprehend or measure that distance.

This is why science in general is flawed. It's all made up to suit the human Ego.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Interesting find S&F

Lets say it did explode .... right..... now..... no, NOW !
How long would it take for the gamma radiation to reach earth?
Even travelling at the speed of light its going get here in 3,260 years.
So we have time

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wycky
Interesting find S&F

Lets say it did explode .... right..... now..... no, NOW !
How long would it take for the gamma radiation to reach earth?
Even travelling at the speed of light its going get here in 3,260 years.
So we have time

If it exploded right "now," which is sort of a relative term, we wouldn't know about it for another 3,260 years, which is how long gama rays (which is light) would take to reach earth.

However, there's no guarantee that it didn't already explode, 3,259 years ago, and is already on its way to earth, which we wouldn't know about until the light from the star system reached us -- one year from now.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The Earth passed through a supernova debris cloud around 14,000 - 10,500 BC, there was a sharp increase in radiocarbon levels then. Gamma radiation from a future nova is just one of the ways we might meet our fate, but I think it's pretty far down our list of priorities. I'd be more concerned about Yellowstone being the potential end for mankind.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I swear if ever any one puts up one of these headliners, that actually says what's going on.
Why all the " exploding star threatens earth" lol wtf. Guy come on!
What would have been so bad as to say something like,
Star exploding so fracken far out there I don't really even know why I started this thread. I mean if your looking for the attention getter,I
know I would check that one out.

Lol Kaytagg! That was some dirty numbers play don't think it didn't go
unnoticed and I will be watching you from now on. Very slippery.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

A supernova has a bit more of a kick than a firecracker.

2nd line

top topics

join