It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Kepler Telescope Discovers Mystery Objects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
WASHINGTON — NASA's new planet-hunting telescope has found two mystery objects that are too hot to be planets and too small to be stars.

The Kepler Telescope, launched in March, discovered the two new heavenly bodies, each circling its own star. Telescope chief scientist Bill Borucki of NASA said the objects are thousands of degrees hotter than the stars they circle. That means they probably aren't planets. They are bigger and hotter than planets in our solar system, including dwarf planets.

"The universe keeps making strange things stranger than we can think of in our imagination," said Jon Morse, head of astrophysics for NASA.

The new discoveries don't quite fit into any definition of known astronomical objects, and so far don't have a classification of their own. Details about the mystery objects were presented Monday at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Washington.

For now, NASA researcher Jason Rowe, who found the objects, said he calls them "hot companions."

How hot? Try 26,000 degrees Fahrenheit. That's hot enough to melt lead or iron.

www.huffingtonpost.com...#

[edit on 4-1-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Cool find but after reading the article it doesn't seem like its really much of a mystery to them.

Sounds like its either of the 2 theories. New planets forming or brown dwarfs dieing.

PS. your avatar is really hot but I also feel dirty because.... how old is she?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

They have 2 "theories" and no conformation on exactly what they are, therefore the objects are mysteries. Sheesh, you debunkers are really getting desperate.

P.S. Yes, she is VERY hot, no clue on her age, but she looks like she is old enough to shoot you.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The mystery to me if I remember correctly from another link is that it basically stated that these hot objects were orbiting something that was smaller than the hot objects.

I'll try and find it again, I remember it being posted on here and reading it before falling asleep. Anyway glad there are still a lot of mysteries to be uncovered

[edit]
Found it again:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
[forum thread - made by Kyle43 ]

kepler.nasa.gov...
[Main site link]

And I hope this member [LeoVirgo] doesn't mind if I post the picture over here:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit II]
Jeez I did a lot of edits. Picture was to big so.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Gigantea Rosa]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

lol sorry I didn't mean to come off as trying to debunk your thread. I'm not actually sure what I would even be debunking actually. I believe in aliens and UFO's and all that jazz!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I think they are stars.

Just because they "Think stars cannot get this small" Does not mean anything to me really.

"They" are wrong often times about a lot of things.

So, I am going with Stars.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Here is another piece of the story:

"The universe keeps making strange things stranger than we can think of in our imagination," said Jon Morse, head of astrophysics for NASA.

And :

"There's going to be all kinds of weird stuff out there," said Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institute of Washington, who wasn't part of the research. "This is an unparalleled data set. The universe really is a weird place. It's fantastic."

So the only thing they are sure of is they don't know jack sh*t!

[edit on 5-1-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Wow, stars orbiting other stars....so these orbiting 'stars' could have their own satelites....would these be considered planets or moons?....if each of these planet/ moons have their own satelites, then we have solar subsystems? OMG the entire universe would have to be re-classified! Oh the humanity! can't we just pretend we didn't see them???!!

Seriously, nice find. very interesting.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wonder if it's possible these things are alien satelittes used to gather energy from their star.

top topics

join