It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How charitable are Save the Children?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Doing a quick job search on the Job Centre website here in the UK brought back an interesting vacancy, which brought to my attention a clear failing in the very nature of the company advertising.

See for yourself:

jobseekers.direct.gov.uk.../32477

What I'd like to know is why this non-profit organization require a Manager to assist them to "maximise sales and net profitability"

Misplaced wording? Perhaps. Slip of the tongue? unlikely. Blatant profiteering? I would have to concur. Not the greatest conspiracy of the century, but it certainly outlines how shallow and corporate these charities have become from what may have once been honourable, morally grounded roots.

Save the executives, apparently.

EDIT: they don't allow direct links it seems to the job, but look halfway down the page for the position of SHOP MANAGER £15,000 - £17,000 PER ANNUM
[edit on 4-1-2010 by Pr0t0]

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Pr0t0]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

WTF?

Just tried your link but it comes up 'details about that job are no longer available' what a surprise.

Someone needs to find a cached or archived image of that vacancy and let the relevant ombudsman know. Is it the 'charity commission'? I'm signing off now but will do some digging in the a.m. if no one has managed it yet.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Okay right I've seen your edit and I have now captured the vacancy and I WILL be reporting this in the morning.

I know what will be said though. they'll argue that every outlet has to cover it's costs as well as raise further funds for charitable activities, therefore to maintain this viability they have to behave for accounting purposes like any other business.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

Thanks for the response. I've taken a screenshot also and will be forwarding this. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this quite immoral. After posting I thought it was a tad picky of me, but then again why shouldn't we be picky about the nature of charitable organisations?

The answer we'll receive will no doubt relate to the use of the term "net profitability" which they will argue is simply the method by which they can measure income and expenditure... but as you rightly said it is the charity commission who deal with this sort of thing, whether or not they're interested we'll soon see...

www.charity-commission.gov.uk...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
proof is in their own words ... "over 80 cents of every dollar goes to help the children" so there are 20 cents that are not going to the organizations mission statement of helping 3rd world children.

top topics

join