It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "ATS 2010" Project: The Creative Look & Feel of ATS.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I dunno, I kind of like it the way it is...
For admirable site design however, I like Hulu's layout and for simplicty TechCrunch...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I did a post a long time ago on Iraqs, Bagdad Museum which did'nt get that much attention here -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

this website is amazing. have a look yourself, you will see what i mean once you get past the intro.

Iraqs Museum -

www.virtualmuseumiraq.cnr.it...

I'm not sure if there's anything you could take from this, but who knows!

Hope you like it, G .

[edit on 4-1-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
Reddit, i implore you to emulate Reddit.

Please please please NO NO NO!

Same goes for Myspace! Jeez what are you guys thinking.

I can only add that I would like a system involving less scrolling and better 'at a glance' characteristics. It seems we've all had widescreens for ages yet the web is still stuck in a 4:3 mindset. Use the real estate wisely. We've all got software cutting out the sidebar ads anyway.

Other than that you have to make uploading media better and easier otherwise twats like me will never get the hang of it.

Personally I think any home page that requires scrolling should be shown the door.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by spookfish]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

And here I was going to suggest an interface that types what I meant instead of what I halfway coherently type.

In seriousness, there are a number of features that facebook uses that could be handy as well as the sorting methods used by gmail (aimed more towards our U2U system).

I would like to see the return of one old feature from days gone by, number of views of a thread. I found that it improved my writing knowing what was viewed and how it was replied to as educational.

And a nice one from wikipedia, a random thread button. Only have it chose threads from within an area such as Political Madness or Survival. In viewing older threads, it may reduce repeated threads.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Thanks for the BorderlandsWiki one! Also a very nice one, never knew of it

Check your U2U

[edit on 4-1-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I am a web designer as well, and when I look for inspiration for designs, I visit the following sites:

www.csszengarden.com...
www.cssbeauty.com...
cssvault.com...
www.commarts.com...

I would also highly suggest, as I did in my other post, to look into integrating google wave into the site.

Google Wave -will- be the next evolution of the web and communications. I suggest looking into it.

-xmad

link   

I have a great trepidation when thinking of a virtual re-launch of ATS. I remember when we switched to the dark (or light) format and it set the standard That is still far and away the standard other wannabies try to emulate.

I consider GodLikeProductions to be our chief rival in the conspiracy web forums, and on the VERY RARE occasion I find myself there, I am just blown away by our superiority in design, look, and functionality! In fact, I have never been on another forum that even comes close to ATS. Congratulations guys.

I understand what you're asking here, but it sounds suspisiously like a major revamp, which I think is uncalled for. There are many small things that can be improved, tweaked, or even invented, that will enhance ATS even higher above all competitors., but please don't change the very core of ATS too much.

I am writing this because in answer to your question about which sites functionality and look do we admire. My immediate thought is, AboveTopSecret.

link   
As far as creative look. I have to be honest and say that I prefer the dark black/gray color scheme and the drop shadows of some of the graphics/images that ATS currently is. It looks professional. It goes with the theme of ATS.

I have been to many message boards and I have yet to see a message board that is better run, better presented and looks better to the eye.

Most are cheesy and seem rather old school. Though there are things that could maybe be improved on ATS. I really do not think that the visual/creative parts of ATS needs much improvement.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by inked up]

link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Very nice mark me down as a 'seconder' on this one.

Go look peeps

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
SkepticOverlord, you either move into the realm of autostereoscopic/stereoscopic 3D or you get left behind. 3D is THE big thing of 2010, and if you're still thinking flat 2D to enhance the user experience you'll be wasting time, money and effort. If you would like to go this route send me a U2U.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

Gotta disagree with you on that point, and here's why. Even some of the 3d/stereoscopic renders I've seen done on another site that is on my top sites fav bar (in fact the one I visit more frequently due to it being part of what I do) it really is a hard medium to get just right so it looks perfec ton all computer monitors and even moreso when you factor in color settings and the like. One render looked different on 14 different monitors and only truly showed in 3d (this is using Lightwave to do the processing mind you) on 2 of those monitors tested. It's just too much of an effort to attempt to make it across the board perfect, and if your monitor is older and out of calibration, the migraines will set in rapidly.

But what do i know I'm just a girl who does CGI for a living.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienChaser

I understand what you're asking here, but it sounds suspisiously like a major revamp, which I think is uncalled for. There are many small things that can be improved, tweaked, or even invented, that will enhance ATS even higher above all competitors., but please don't change the very core of ATS too much.

Totally agree.

Maybe a tweak here and there... but ATS is miles better than other sites for ease of use and design.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

[edit on 4/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
While I agree with most here that ATS is one of the best forum sites as far as functionality, I do feel that some improvements can be made to make it a better "debate" and "discussion" site.

Once you are ready for specific ideas, I will present those.

Also, if you have a need for developers to help with the vast amount of work a complete rewrite would entail, I may be available to help. I'm a software engineer and web-developer with 30 years experience.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Hi Guys, ok the best site for finding anything is utube.....but the best part is being able to save what you like to favorites which you cannot do on ats. Utube is the best site although I spend my time on ATS. Good luck in 2010, Magantice

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
when i was in my early teens this site used to creep me out. It's got a countdown logging the hours, seconds, and minutes since the collapse of the tangent universe. Parts of the website can only be unlocked by interacting with lower levels.

www.donniedarkofilm.com...

OMG thats way creepy. im assuming people here are already paranoid...DO YOU WANT TO SPOOK THEM EVEN MORE ?...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

Is Utube similar to Youtube?

link   
reply to post by spookfish

thanks spook. It's a very neat site. It really gets you involved. It's as near to being there as one could get.

link   
Bah...if it ain't broken, don't fix it, says this old curmudgeon.

I love ATS just the way it is. But if it must be changed, well, I hope the direction will be towards simplicity and intuitive usability rather than further "feature bloat."

Another thing...not strictly related to ATS but to the net in general...I am seeing the slow death of a text-based net and the increasing "videoization" and "youtube-ization" of everything, everywhere. Messages get shorter, simpler, often encouraging more black-and-white thinking, less patience, more ADD/ADHD, more crudity. The written word is dying, "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." This saddens me greatly. Yet I remind myself change is inevitable, in all times and places. I hope in the face of this unstoppable trend, thoughtful and nuanced exchanges that are longer and take patience to read and write will continue. I trust they will among those of us who value them.

Whatever new directions things go in, I am quite sure that SkepticOverlord and the other staff will continue to do the excellent job they always have in maintaining ATS as perhaps the greatest messageboard on the net. They have my continuing thanks and support.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

My thoughts exactly.

The look and feel of ATS is important in that it's recognizable and familiar, but with a few slick updates, it can retain what works and make it better.

The U2U suggestion is the only thing I would like more than what is here now.
Also, if Media Portal signups were enabled again, so I can upload my avatar and stop being a faceless loser!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower

Also, if Media Portal signups were enabled again, so I can upload my avatar and stop being a faceless loser!

You just log in with your details that you use here.
Log in with the same username and password and you should be able to upload pics for your avatar and so on.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It seems many of us are posting things you expressly asked us not to until a later discussion, but hey the community is an unruley beast.

I agree that 3D is the future but the trouble is I don't believe the infrastructure, the peoples connection situations, nor the laptops most surf from currently have what's required under the hood. Eventually the net will mimic main street in look and function but we ain't there yet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join