It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will You Fly Less Now, With Heightened Security Searches

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hi Weed,
I just knew you'd show up, and, with the stats. Truth is in accidents, buses and cars are safer than flying machines and that is without the terrorist factor. I could have left that last statement baldy but true, but it is in reference to the actual number of journeys taken by these vehices..not the number of miles travelled. Throw away the stats, they mean sod all when it comes to the daft dick with something hidden.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Truth is in accidents, buses and cars are safer than flying machines and that is without the terrorist factor...

Well, I will have to disagree with that sentiment.

Understanding statistics is key to knowing why the distinction is important.

However, upon reflection I think the OP had intended this in another direction, and I unwittingly tilted it the wrong way, so I'll try to bring it back on keel.

It is, now that I look again, a question about whether enhanced security procedures are going to turn people away from air travel.

There are certain people who likely have little choice in modes of travel....but, we can exclude them.

It's about those who make decisions on discretionary air travel, for holiday plans and such. At least, that's my take on the OP.

Still, I think that despite the increased hassle potential, IF you plan ahead and are aware of what you will face, you can have an OK experience. Mostly.

This comes from a person (ME) who chafed a LOT at the fact that, although a working flight deck crewmwmber, in uniform, with appropriate ID, the whole nine yards, for the purposes of "appearances" we had to seem to undergo the same screening as everyone else. There were MANY times when over-exuberance on the part of the "screeners" was obvious, as they felt a small bit of "control" over those who had no other choice but to submit. Because the "rules" apply to 'everyone'...

Thing is, and I won't give anything away here....every cockpit crewmember (pilot) who went through security was allowed to keep a set of weapons that was never taken away! (I'm referring, of course, to our two hands and our brain).

THAT is the idiocy of the 'security' requirement for pilots....but, despite the fact that pilots tend to have a strong personality, and be outspoken in general....in order to keep the peace, we had to "play the game" and bite our tongues.

But, rest assured, WE know the rules, and what a screener can, and cannot do...

...however, if you wish to have a smooth experience through the "security checkpoint" the best course is to be polite, smile, nod and don't talk back. Don't be sheepish, just accept the reality of the era we now live in.

Also....pick a time when the crowds are smallest, and just be aware of your surroundings at all times.

PS.....those people who get hired to work the "TSA" security screening points are just human beings. They work for (mostly) quite low wages. Then, they are indoctrinated (trained) with the importance of their job, and sometimes that imagined 'authority' may go to their heads....

PPS.....without providing details (which cities) y'all should know at least one thing: ALL of this security is not a panacea. Many airports even within the US, allow quite a lot of the ground personnel access to secured areas (the 'AOA') through ways other than via the security screening lanes.

I, and my crew, have routinely been taken around security, after a proper check of our IDs, of course, (and internal computer records verifying that WE are the scheduled crew) as working crewmembers. It is more common than you think, and it happens FAR more often in the case of the day-to-day employees too. (adding, to claify....most airports have a computerized electronic pass key-card, so the activity of the personnel, as they pass through security doors, IS monitored...)

I hesitated to mention this but then decided that it's OK because the point is you can TRUST the airline employees. You may call me biased, but I stand by that claim.

As an educated airline traveller, though, you may wish to direct your focus of attention to a whole slew of OTHER workers on a major airport, on any given day....those who aren't employed by the airline, but are contracted and have access to the airplanes.....security procedures for THEM is varied, airport by airport by airport....whether we're talking about he Continental USA, or other countries too...

[edit on 5 January 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I used to fly but I won't anymore. Now if I can't drive, I won't go.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Well, I was going to invite you to go with me on a cruise around the world, but we have to start in....ummm, let's say London (if you live in the USA).

Oh, well, guess you can't go....allright, moving on...

No, was just being silly, of course.

Like I've said, if travelling is optional for you, then make your own decisions.

Personally, I will NOT be cowed into submission, but I will accept the circumstances and adapt to make it work, and it helps that I have lots of experience to guide me.

Plus, I have a great desire to travel.....it is what make of it the entire experience.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join