It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Conspiracy We Trust!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
New Russia Today Article covering Conspiracies in America.

The American people, in an effort to provide explanations to inexplicable events beyond their control, are entertaining a number of wild conspiracy theories.

But first, what in the world is a “conspiracy theory,” and why do they seem more appealing now than ever before?

According to the Random House Dictionary, a conspiracy theory “explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.”

On the basis of that definition, conspiracy theories allow people to think they have unraveled the inside story on “secret plots that are largely unknown to the public.” In other words, conspiracy theorists are simply too smart and savvy to be tricked by the powers that be.

By subscribing to alternative explanations besides the “official version” allows us mere mortals to uncover “the truth” behind events that are so sensational they could only have been orchestrated by higher powers. Indeed, conspiratorial thinking is turning into something of a religious movement.

“The social theory of conspiracy is actually a version of… theism,” wrote the philosopher Karl Popper. “It is a consequence of the end of God as a point of reference, and of the subsequent question: ‘Who is there in this place?’”

That place, Popper observed from a skeptical point of view, “is now occupied by various powerful men and groups – sinister lobbies, which may be accused of having organized the Great Depression and all the ills we suffer.”

In the world of the conspiracy theorists, no event of significance happens by chance; by virtue of their very positions, the shadowy elite must have had a hand in everything.

“Conspiracism serves the needs of diverse political and social groups,” writes academician Frank P. Mintz. “It identifies elites, blames them for economic and social catastrophes, and assumes that things will be better once popular action can remove them from positions of power… ”

Yet it must be admitted that the very elitist nature of American society does little to dispel rumors of a cabal working "behind the throne," secretly turning the screws. Indeed, a quick background check of America’s movers and shakers shows that an uncomfortable number hail from various secret societies, including, but not limited to, Skull and Bones (“the best connected white-man’s club in America”), the Bilderberger Group (an ultra-secret “steering committee”) and Bohemian Grove (an annual 3-week retreat in Monte-Rio, California, where some of the most powerful men in the world allegedly gather for lord knows what).

Much more to the story HERE

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE

On the basis of that definition, conspiracy theories allow people to think they have unraveled the inside story on “secret plots that are largely unknown to the public.” In other words, conspiracy theorists are simply too smart and savvy to be tricked by the powers that be.

what a condescending article. Not a bit of propaganda here at all. Although, I am a conspiracy theorist so I must think myself smarter than the writer. Someone should let this bonehead read the thread about the theories that were proven true. I realize not all of them are "proven", but a good bit of them were. USS Liberty anyone?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I know right im all for conspiracy theories, like most of RT news but was surprised when i read that.

Guess we can link off to this thread for
33 Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True, What Every Person Should Know

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE

what a condescending article. Not a bit of propaganda here at all. Although, I am a conspiracy theorist so I must think myself smarter than the writer. Someone should let this bonehead read the thread about the theories that were proven true. I realize not all of them are "proven", but a good bit of them were. USS Liberty anyone?

I'd like to see the list of all of the ones that have been disproven.

Oh wait, you can't. They are all unfalsifiable and change at a whim whenever new information or more speculation is injected into them.

new topics

top topics

join