It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet-Hunting Telescope Unearths Hot Mysteries in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Planet-Hunting Telescope Unearths Hot Mysteries in Space

www.foxnews.com

The Kepler Telescope, launched in March, discovered the two new heavenly bodies, each circling its own star. Telescope chief scientist Bill Borucki of NASA said the objects are thousands of degrees hotter than the stars they circle. That means they probably aren't planets. They are bigger and hotter than planets in our solar system, including dwarf planets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think this is an incredible find. We are still finding things in space that we don't have an explanation for. Hotter then the suns they orbit? Suns are pretty darn hot. What exactly are these things?

For that kind of heat, it would have to be a nuclear reaction of some kind, but how exactly could you have an object that size generate so much heat? I guess time will tell.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
wow
that's pretty hot bud
almost as hot as esha gupta...ALMOST!

a star with a small orbiting object that is hotter than the star itself. The object is too hot to be a planet but is the wrong size and density to fit any known profile for a dwarf star.
www.washingtonpost.com...

what do they mean by one exoplanet had the density of styrofoam???
I didn't get it

they also found new exoplanets
www.utexas.edu...

the future should be fun

Over the next three years, Kepler will inspect 100,000 stars for evidence of rocky planets too small to be detected by ground-based observatories. Astronomers expect it to find hundreds, of which as many as 50 may be orbiting in the so-called “Goldilocks zone” where conditions are neither too hot nor too cold for life.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Great read. Thanks for posting, S & F.

To sum things up: Scientists have no idea what they're doing. Do not listen to them. Be open to anything.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm really curious as to how they'll explain this. I did not think this was possible.

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Great read. Thanks for posting, S & F.

To sum things up: Scientists have no idea what they're doing. Do not listen to them. Be open to anything.

The only way science will progress is through trial and error, that's the only way the unknown becomes known.

new topics

top topics

join