It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is teaching religion child abuse?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

RELIGION SAYS: "We have the answers...and don't you dare question it or be eternally damned!"

I shall retort.

Take the Pope for example and the Vatican.

What do they say?

"OH we were wrong however we update our thinking with the times cuz we're not stupid"
1) Flat Earth
2) Earth Rotates Around the Sun (and general astronomy)
3) Divorce is now somewhat acceptable even in religious terms.

I could go on and on.

But religion, JUST LIKE Science, Adapts to new ways in order to remain RELEVANT.

Therefore, they are essentially the same thing, just science was slightly more accurate (however they too must change their ideas and update to new found information.)

[edit on 4-1-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah...religion may also update to stay relevant...but there is still a fundamental difference...science is dealing with real things...real facts...real measurable results...religion on the other hand is based on nothing but unfounded claims and stories backed by NOTHING at all...and it adapts to science! Just like the flat Earth example you gave...or the Earth revolving around the Sun...

[edit on 4/1/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
Lets say the religion you believe in turns out to be the right one, then might I ask, is it not child abuse if you deny your child the chance of salvation?

And when it comes time to pick which one is the true way to salvation, let me guess which you are going to pick?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

No, but the moment the State decides it is, is the moment we become slaves of the State. Pray people never decide it is because at that moment they control our thoughts. Mao was very successful at that exact thing. Many secularists are also supporters of Mao even though he is responsible for 30 to 50 million deaths. Yes, some people are that sick inside.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

No, but the moment the State decides it is, is the moment we become slaves of the State. Pray people never decide it is because at that moment they control our thoughts. Mao was very successful at that exact thing. Many secularists are also supporters of Mao even though he is responsible for 30 to 50 million deaths. Yes, some people are that sick inside.

And this is why we have to stop this anti-religion nonsense right now. Before the new age "science" religion causes another Holocaust this time of anyone who believes in a higher power than Government.

Sorry to sound exited but it's a pretty big deal what is developing around us right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
A good friend of mine a few months ago had his children stay with his mother for a weekend, who is an extremist Christian. When his kids got back, they were terrified that if they didn't allow Jesus into their lives, they would burn in hell for eternity.

Not only does he not allow his mother to see his kids anymore, he doesn't even see her himself. His mother is taking him to court to try and get access to her grandkids now.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
A good friend of mine a few months ago had his children stay with his mother for a weekend, who is an extremist Christian. When his kids got back, they were terrified that if they didn't allow Jesus into their lives, they would burn in hell for eternity.

Not only does he not allow his mother to see his kids anymore, he doesn't even see her himself. His mother is taking him to court to try and get access to her grandkids now.

But this is not abuse.

This is typical stupidity. Same thing everywhere, different name different time.

See what I am saying?

No matter what you replace "Opinion" with, it is always another "Opinion". Therefore it is a fail to even attempt to try to solve it.

I mean cmon, look at these people's solution for religion. Gag them, Imprison them, kill them even.

Remember back in Nazi Germany, when religion was treated so badly? What happened? Oh yeah, all those religious nut cases got gassed or shot.

I really hope this doesn't happen again, but with the mentality of some of the people around here, it is just around the corner!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Lets say the religion you believe in turns out to be the right one, then might I ask, is it not child abuse if you deny your child the chance of salvation?

don't tell me you actually said that. you seriously believe ..no. not even going there.

people like you are the reason why i'm afraid to answer the door.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

remember the religious nut cases that manipulated hundreds of people to kill themselves? remember charles manson? remember kool-aid town? remember?? :]

i don't think religious nut cases shouldn't be killed ..but they sure do a lot of killing.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Can you give a good reason to teach a child that there is an invisible man that lives in the sky and in their head that would torture or kill them should they not comply to it's wishes ?

Can you give good reason to teach a child to love with all their heart an invisible man and call him father, when this being is alleged to do what most normal loving parents could not even consider "kill their own child"?

Please don't respond with complex nonsensical rhetoric to rationalize why the invisible man in the sky commits acts that are morally repugnant,. We are after all talking about children ought we not to be protecting our children from such repugnant types not teaching them to love them ?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

It is a good idea for kids to learn of many different religions. That will plant the seed for them in the future, whether they decide to further learn about one particular one, or several.

Why the hell do you need to "seed" the minds of your children, why not just teach your children to think and apply reason and critical thinking skills in order to make decisions ?

No it's not a good idea for children to learn about different religions it's a good idea to teach children to find commonality not invent differences.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I believe there is not any harm in telling children stories of Religious figures, so long as those stories are balanced.

Is making children believe that other peoples choice of life style is too be viewed as an abomination which will result in them being tortured or killed balanced ?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

That's typically not what you are supposed to do when properly raising a child in a religious family.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pilot70
noone can prove or disprove anything in that respect.... so
is teaching no religion child abuse ?

I can't disprove the the idea that an invisible leprechaun created the universe. Would you have a problem with that being taught in schools or anything else that simply "can't be disproved?" Teach kids about things that are grounded in objective evidence.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Definitely NOT!!! I can totally see a totalitarian state using that as an excuse to take children away from their parents though.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
I don't believe at all that teaching children religion is child abuse. That is possibly the silliest argument I have ever heard!

There is nothing wrong about teaching anybody anything! It is not about what knowledge is being taught, but what knowledge is being practiced. There is nothing wrong about teaching your children about drugs and drug abuse? How would they know about it and how to deal with it if they had never been taught about it?

Forcing your child to participate in religious activities, or to force them to believe in something against their will is a different story however.

That is abuse in my books.

[edit on 4/1/1010 by Monts]

The problem is that you don't have to "force" a child to believe in anything. Children rely on and trust their parents. They will believe whatever they are told - regardless of the amount of evidence provided to support that assertion.

How many kids are forced to believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny? They don't have to be forced - they believe whatever they're told.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by andrewh7]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13

Atheist have taken a stance that anyone who is religious does not get to openly display it.

That's a lie. What is your source for that information? The US Supreme Court is not composed of any atheists and they're the ones that have interpreted the Constitution to bar the teaching of religion in public schools and the display of religious symbols on public property based on the US constitution. Freedom of speech gives atheists the right to criticize irresponsible parenting but none of them have ever argued that the practice of religion should be prohibited. Stop watching Fox News.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by andrewh7]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

That statement makes absolutely no sense. Are you saying that your religion punishes those who aren't members - potentially billions of people worldwide? Under your philosophy, we should be teaching kids that the world might have been created by a sentient ham sandwich just to cover all our bases for "salvation." A religion that writes off most of the world's population doesn't sound very attractive.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
It is not child abuse to teach a child a particular religious dogma no more than it is child abuse to teach a child that there is a Santa Claus and Tooth Fairy, that the sky is not blue, or that one day their prince will come and save them and they'll live happily ever after.

Warning a kid about getting a piece of coal in his stocking is no where as coercive as teaching the kid they will burn in hell for all eternity if they fail to fulfill certain conditions. Even after parents admit the Santa Claus story was a lie, they and the community still push the God theory as fact.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Monts

In your opinion,this thread is silly,I've seen worse! A thread, I was on earlier,inspired this thread.One poster made a comment that taking a
child to church was child abuse.

I suppose you wouldn't have a problem with a kid being taken to a KKK rally or Scientology seminar? Of course you don't have an issues with a kid being taught something you agree with.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join