It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is teaching religion child abuse?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
We were all taught religion as kids. Or at least i bet most of us were. Eventually kids grow up and start question things. If their present religion answers those questions satisfyingly, ok. If not, they will search for answers someplace else. I see no problem with teaching them religion.

Since I live in a country mostly catholic, I wont mind them being raised as catholics. After they grow up enough to start making their own minds, i will talk to them about the subject and let them come up with their own decisions.

We cant decide the spiritual path each individual will take.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

There are so many atheists screaming about children being brainwashed by religion.Why are atheists afraid of a subject they deem to be nothing but fairy tales and myths? What harm could there be in telling children stories of Jesus, or any other religious figure?

Give examples of those atheists.

They are probably more concerned about parents forcing their religions on their children. Children have no way out so basically they are stuck in their homes. I don't think atheists really care if parents teach various religions to their children.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
Is teaching children about religion
child abuse?

No it is not, it is a positive way for children to begin to understand situations they WILL encounter throughout their childhood. To let them wonder without the understanding that certain behaviors will bring forth consequences is childabuse....

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Isn't teaching him right from wrong good enough?
All that guilt can't be good for a child...he does something wrong and thinks the devil is gonna make him pay.
Thats dysfunctional to me.
No reason to scare a child.
Just correct his ways thru love and understanding...no need for all the confusing bible stories at that age.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

All religions (=all those I can bring to mind) school the will...and the more obviously-false/demanding/arbitrary the creed, the better a will-inculcator it must be, to keep the recruit tied to that hard-to-pull-rock...
Now willpower can be taught without recourse to religious ideation...but those instructions probably look like child abuse, to those inclined to look for it, just as much as religions do.
The question is, is it cruel to raise a child without exposure to self-management strategies, "whatever you do is okay"...I vote yes... so there will be some cruelty towards the child, no matter what you do or don't do...so but then you have to weigh the inherent cruelty associated with the various suites of self-management strategies that you can encourage the child to bring to bear on himself, versus the saltiness desired as an ultimate result...like so much else it is ultimately a matter of taste, let everybody do what they want and see what happens...

[edit on 4-1-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

You know that I can't name names.I would if I could without getting in
trouble.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
everyone has a crap load of opinions on how other people raise their children and they all have one thing in common, they're all wrong.

i think the truth is fairly obvious to any intelligent being. everyone should raise their kids exactly the way i do because i'm right and i know i'm right. my children are so much better, brighter and smarter than yours that it is child abuse to raise children by any other method except the one i followed.

i'ld go so far as to say that my random, reactionary beliefs and opinions are so clearly and inscrutably right that if you disagree, you are obviously evil and you are just not fit to raise children.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Probably some ATS members, right?

No matter.

In general, atheists wouldn't care if the parents teach their children about different religions. Even if the parents wanted their children to follow their religions, giving them room for disagreements and giving them choices is not child abuse. If a child doesn't want to go to church, the parents can get a babysitter. Simple.

I can tell you that some Christians scream when Muslim parents force their children to follow their religion. I won't name names

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

You know that I can't name names.I would if I could without getting in
trouble.

Wrong...and how much trouble are you really going to get into considering this is an 'on-line' forum..? Is springer gonna assign you to detention..? I hope so - I know I'll be there.

Name away...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Isn't teaching him right from wrong good enough?
All that guilt can't be good for a child...he does something wrong and thinks the devil is gonna make him pay.
Thats dysfunctional to me.
No reason to scare a child.
Just correct his ways thru love and understanding...no need for all the confusing bible stories at that age.

Well I personally have seen children growing up when I was young that didnt believe in a god and as I watched them grow into adults their actions were carried out as if there was no GOD and you know what some are in prison for murder and some are dead so I dont think so friend.

I knew of GOD as a child and it kept me from doing and behaving like many of my peers in various situations like:
I would see kids my age who would always pick on the kid that didnt have on nice school clothes-yet I didnt even feed into it, in fact on some cool ish I would tell those kids to chill with just a evil look when they would look at me to feed into the ignorance and usually after they seen my reaction since I always was my own leader they would leave the kid alone and I would blend back into my world of understanding life as a child. This is because my mother at a very young age explained the importance of GOD not liking UGLY AND NOT PHYSICAL BUT MORALLY UGLY. My mentality was also influenced with my understanding that in a story of CHRIST he was treated the same way by the SICK ROMANS BEFOR THEY ATTEMPTED TO KILL HIM (because they didnt believe in god) So a world that has been "GROWN" on the belief system of GOD existing would not produce HEALTHY MINDED CHILDREN IF THEY SUDDENLY WERE STRIPPED OF THE TEACHINGS in fact it would be a demonic world full of weak destruction and pettyness.

If this world was created by higher intelligent beings misusing their gifts then its their fault for teaching these ways of life and then trying to eliminate them -HOW SMART ARE YOU REALLY? would be my question for attempted claim jackers of HUMANITIES CREATION. Which would only signal to me that he sent them to assist in our creation SORTA LIKE THE "WATCHERS" and they misused their abilities to assist humans again SMMFH.

[edit on 1/4/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

That is true. You can quote some ATS posts without getting into trouble.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
If a child doesn't want to go to church, the parents can get a babysitter. Simple.

does the same apply to school?

after all, there are plenty of people who think that a standard education is totally counter productive.

should a parent refer to what they believe or what others believe?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Well I personall have seen children growing up when I was young and they didnt believe in a god and as I watched them grow into adults their actions were carried out as if there was no GOD and you know what some are in prison for murder and some are dead so I dont think so friend.

Well, my friend that is what is called weasel words.

What is wrong with teaching children the golden rule? There is no need to involve god in it.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

does the same apply to school?
after all, there are plenty of people who think that a standard education is totally counter productive.
should a parent refer to what they believe or what others believe?

How is that the same thing?

Math works.
Science works.
etc.
etc.

And they have been proven over and over again.

How can you compare these two?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

What is wrong with teaching children the golden rule? There is no need to involve god in it.

I guess they believe that the threat of doing the right thing vs. going to prison isn't a deterrent, but doing the right thing vs. going to hell is.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The golden rule is DO ON TO OTHERS AS YOU WANT THEM TO DO ON TO YOU. So what guidence for the AFTERLIFE???? Do they just grow up thinking whatever they want happens after death and become str8 evil when realizing there is no after life even if there is, tainting them from making it home to the light. What is their afterlife guidence then?????please answer intelligent 1 if you can and dont force the answer for it will be very obvious that you are not sure of what you are posting only marking yourself as a DIM 1. SO again AFTERLIFE GUIDENCE W/ WHAT VESSLE?????THE GOLDEN RULE???

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

not that it's my point, but......works in what way?

does history work? it usually only assumes a single, often inaccurate, perspective.

how about languages, it's almost pointless to try to teach languages by any means other than immersing. that doesn't work.

we all know the science taught in schools is inaccurate because it is so simplified, it bears little resemblance to a scientific understanding of the universe, doesn't actually work.

a large part of the maths taught in school don't have any practical bearing on the real world, doesn't really work. most maths don't actually work outside their own frame of reference, just like religious belief.

so, back to my actual point, should parents teach their children according to what the parent believes to be best or according to what others believe to be best?

[edit on 4/1/10 by pieman]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by mamabeth

Because they wish children to be indoctrinated with THEIR views. Which is really what this argument is about, indoctrination of the young before they have the ability to make up their own mind. I say it should be the choice of the parent not third party crusading idealists. Though I personally feel it's best to avoid the subject altogether until such time the child is ready to pick their own path. But, that is my view and I am not going to expect the world to live by it, like so many self rightous fools do with their opinions.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The golden rule is DO ON TO OTHERS AS YOU WANT THEM TO DO ON TO YOU. So what guidence for the AFTERLIFE???? Do they just grow up thinking whatever they want happens after death and become str8 evil when realizing there is no after life even if there is, tainting them from making it home to the light. What is their afterlife guidence then?????please answer intelligent 1 if you can and dont force the answer for it will be very obvious that you are not sure of what you are posting only marking yourself as a DIM 1. SO again AFTERLIFE GUIDENCE W/ WHAT VESSLE?????THE GOLDEN RULE???

That is fine. Parents can teach their children various religions and theories of the afterlife. Let the children learn and make decisions.

Why not teach them scientific researches into the afterlife? There are plenty of them (NDE and OOBE experiences). Why focus on just one religion?

No one has the authority on the afterlife even some profess to be the authority.

Children are smart enough to study and make decisions without being forced upon. And they will continue to do into adulthood.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

That is fine. Parents can teach their children various religions and theories of the afterlife. Let the children learn and make decisions.

Why not teach them scientific researches into the afterlife? There are plenty of them (NDE and OOBE experiences). Why focus on just one religion?

No one has the authority on the afterlife even some profess to be the authority.

Children are smart enough to study and make decisions without being forced upon. And they will continue to do into adulthood.

Figures, but I am not here to petty bicker so OK then very well denounce your creator AND WONDER WHY HE SENDS DESTROYERS TO YOUR REALMS TO CLEANS THIS TYPE OF THINKING THAT EXISTING W/O HIM IS OK. exits THREAD feeling a little dim

[edit on 1/4/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join