It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is teaching religion child abuse?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Originally posted by etherical waterwave

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by mamabeth

Is Teaching Atheism Child Abuse ? ...You Decide .,

Atheism is not a teaching, it's just saying no to all the things you should say yes to. It allows murder and stealing and cheatery and heartbreaking. Thus chosen death.

Choose life by living life with your hopes on life. The path of sin leads to death. Any day your choice may be granted.

If this is true why are many serial killers in the US identifying as christian? There is no correlation in my mind between religious beief and morals.

One can tell by sight who'll never learn and seeks death, sometimes a little hand might help them complete their mission. no further comment please.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by The Djin

I can't answer this question because the Lord
hasn't asked me to perform the task of killing
you.
I don't want to violate any T&C rules either.

T&C is a piss poor excuse for dodging the question M.

If I were about to step off a cliff and be killed would you wait around until a voice in your head told you to save me ?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I can't answer your question without violating
T&C rules.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I can't answer your question without violating
T&C rules.

Let's check with the mods then.

Mods considering my absolute refusal to take offense at anything posted, please clarify whether or not Mamabeth would break T&C if she answered my question.

hey, what happened to the list of mods at the bottom of the page , how the hell am I to know who's keeping me inline lol ?
edit on 20-10-2010 by The Djin because: question

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I would not kill you.If you were going to fall
off a cliff,I would ignore my impulse to push
and would pull you instead.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Im far from an Atheist, an i do not believe in religion. I will not teach my daughter religion, but if later it still exists then i will allow for her to make up her mind about how she wants to follow the Source God. I dont think its anyones right to tell theyre child that they HAVE to worship to a certain being. i think thats whats causing alot of teens to just not care anymore.

On that same not. we will not teach her atheist ways that there is no God. There is a God and i just think that parents should think about if its not going to hurt them, if there not messing with things they dont comprehend and arnt ready for then of course. But i do see a problem with teching making a preconcieved idea about God. I think each persons percetion on God is going to be understandably different. yes?

great thread OP S&F

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
ok, i'll bite. i didn't read through all 17 pages, cause the last page told me it's probably pointless arguing, but my take on the question:

is teaching religion child abuse?

well, what is wrong with simply teaching your children all the good morals of a religion (which really aren't beholden to religion, but being a good natured, altruistic human being), rather than insist they serve a certain religion and grow them up as such without giving them the choice?

it certainly becomes child abuse when you start oppressing them with guilt and eternal damnation for having normal, biological urges that every other human in history has had, and will always have. repressed urges causes severe psychological problems. kids grow up to be skanks, or abusive, because they were so repressed and inhibited and guilted out with this trauma. yeah, you end up rearing a messed up, selfish individual that cares nothing about those good morals and ethics anymore.

and not only is it guilt (and all the horrible things that it turns into), but it's MADE UP. i'm sorry, but it's made up guilt, you have no reason to feel guilty, there is no dood in the clouds waitin to judge you. you should just teach your kids the laws of your city/state/country, tell them to play smart within those laws, and i'm sure they'll turn out fine. hell, they might even want to be a bhuddist or something when they're in highschool, or want to do community or peace work. there is no reason to bring religion in to the mix with your kids, unless you are projecting your ego on them, in which case, you are already a bad parent for not letting your child think for itself, or to even teach it to think for itself.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

My parents allowed me to explore different religions
while I was in my teens.They did get a little worried
when I started reading books on the occult.That phase
didn't last too long though.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Child abuse?

No.

No one says they are required to follow the tenants later in life. As children? Parents have a lot to say in that, don't they? Teaching children about religion is teaching them morals through allegorical stories, nothing more, or at least shouldn't be anything more.

Can morals be taught outside of a Sunday school class? Of course they can...mine were. I attended one Sunday school class in my childhood. Was bored out of my mind, as I recall, and never went back. Reapproached it later in life, and wasn't nearly as bored... I don't follow any organized religion, but fail to see how it can possibly be construed as child abuse.

So...

No.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

reply to post by shagreen heart

My parents allowed me to explore different religions
while I was in my teens.They did get a little worried
when I started reading books on the occult.That phase
didn't last too long though.

i mean like, children-children, who have no other concept of reality except that which their parents let them experience. can you imagine the interaction between a child who grew up with parents that just taught it to be good and try not to break laws and try to be nice to everyone, meeting the catholic kid on the playground? "huh?" some guy that lives in clouds watches everything you do and if you do anything wrong you will burn in a place called hell forever after you die? you're completely ****** up, let's just have fun."

it's sad how we cripple ourselves with fear and guilt before we have a chance to even cope with it.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I think that is what a lot of people have problems with,
organized religion.
I have been upset with my church lately and I haven't
attended a service much for a couple of weeks.I am
wondering how long before my internet activity is blamed
for it?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I would not kill you.If you were going to fall
off a cliff,I would ignore my impulse to push
and would pull you instead.

As the claim is that yawhe/jesus is the source of everything then the impulse to push would be from your god would it not?

You would pull on an impulse or because of something else ?

Does your god evre speak words in your head ?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Is teaching religion child abuse?

I would have to say no. Although I don't believe in any single religion I do think that some good comes from it. when i was at school i was taught the basic principles behind what was being said in the bible and what messages that was actually being said, for example, respect those around you etc...

It may also to do with who is teaching the subject to the kids which could also be a factor, the teacher i had was excellent and she applied how religion affects us in modern life and not just focus on what happened 2000 odd years ago.

I definitely disagree with it as child abuse, you know what they say - it's not what it is, it's what you do with it.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The real problem with religion is... it gives even adults a false hope in things that are "never", ever going to occur. Many people will waste their entire lives waiting on the rapture or someone to be healed of some disease. I know a guy who actually shuts his store down several hours a day to pray while customers pull up and leave. He's praying to a god thats never going to answer him. He's wasting his life.

If you change anything from the way it is now, you have to consider what greater problems would arrise. If you shut all the churches down tomorrow what are all those people going to do? At least a percentage of them will find themselves sliding down hill fast. Thousands of people are going to need a job where there is none.

I think Church should focus more on community gathering rather than absolute truths. It might however, all fall apart without a belief system that they need to gather themselves together in the name of jesus

. If you take morals out of it common sence tells you how fast things would decline from there?

I personally don't want to go to any public event (bike race for instance) and be told that I am a sinner come short of the glory of God and Jesus is the only answer. When you do that you bring condemnation into my life, and others lives, where there may have been none. I was having a great day and now you tell me I'm gong to hell without Jesus Christ being accepted as my personal lord and savior.

Religion condemns a person before they have done anything wrong.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

My impulse to PUSH comes from
you constantly nagging me to answer
your question!Jesus prevents me from
carrying out that impulse!
People need to learn how to channel
their impulses and negative attitudes.
Having a good, faith-based, lifestyle is
a start.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Santa Clause, pink unicorns, giant space turtles, *insert random god*....all the same. We don't have proof for any of them, but the FICTIONAL stories around them often have a moral that isn't bad. But making your kid believe there really is a god after telling him Santa's not real...well, you're indoctrinating your kid with hogwash.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Now,now,now...space turtles are a possibilty.
Remember the reptilians?

No matter what religious,or non-religious,persuation
that you adhere to,it is the parents responsibilty
to raise their children in the manner that they feel works.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Now,now,now...space turtles are a possibilty.
Remember the reptilians?

No matter what religious,or non-religious,persuation
that you adhere to,it is the parents responsibilty
to raise their children in the manner that they feel works.

I disagree. If they teach their children that some fictional god character believes XYZ, and that they therefore have to also believe in XYZ (gays are evil, kill all infidels, microchips are the mark of the beast, etc.) then that's bad. They can of course do it because we live in a free country, but they're turning their kids into retards and imo that's child abuse.

PS: I agree though, space turtle rocks...

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

You raise your children in the manner you see fits.
Let others raise their children likewise also.I don't
tell anyone how to raise their children and I expect
the same courtesy.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Jesus prevents me from carrying out that impulse!

So, if jesus/yahwhe the voice in your head, is telling you not harm me when you feel like doing so, would you kill me if he told you to do so ?

Please don't insult my intelligence by claiming that your god would not do so, as this you cannot know and to say that you'd have to give it thought at the time it occurred is unacceptable as you're already giving consideration to jesus/yahwhes instructions .

Remember M the basis for my pushing you to "reason" is tied into whether or not teaching religion is a form of child abuse.

Sorry to insist upon getting a straight answer out of you but for the seek of my own chidlrens' future I feel it very important to find out what type of people would kill them if their god inspires it.
edit on 23-10-2010 by The Djin because: speeling

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join