It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is teaching religion child abuse?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Hello MamaBeth, what an excellent question.

I was raised as a Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian when I was growing up. I remember as a child my burning curiosity to ask questions, and to explore, everything as much as possible. I questioned my Mother incessantly about life, reality, and what we are doing here. She instilled in me from birth a belief in God, and a love for Jesus Christ. She told me that God created us for his enjoyment, but that we had sinned in the Garden, so Jesus had to be born to die for us so that we could be forgiven.

So at the age of 7 I recited the sinners prayer and gave my heart to Jesus.

Growing up, to help me to learn to read, my Mother had me read from the Book of Proverbs and the Book of Psalms. My family went to church every Sunday for both services, every Wednesday for Bible study, and my siblings and I went to church on Thursday for the youth group.

As a child whose mind lacked the reasoning of that of an adult, I found that it was easy for me to simply accept what my Mother, Stepfather, and community was teaching me. The reality of the Christian God was as self evident to me as the blue sky. I knew that if you did not accept Jesus as your personal savior that you were going to go to hell.

I understood that Christ was returning to take up the church before the tribulation. I understood that the world was corrupt because of demonic influence.

But, then puberty hit me.

When my sexuality began to develop is when I began to have problems. I could not cope with my new sexual urges at the age of 12 and 13, and the church did not help whatsoever. They would split the boys and girls up at our preteen youth groups to discuss sexual matters, mostly just to tell us that we have to wait until we get married to have sex...and especially to inform us that, no matter what, we needed to avoid masturbation like the plague.

So I started having nightmares about the rapture and hell. I had convinced myself that I was going to miss the rapture because my own sexual urges at the time were too intense for me, especially at that age. I was still a child, and when a child has a need they want met they can be very demanding.

My fear of missing the rapture escalated to the point that I was utterly terrified to even ride in the car with my Mother or Stepfather, or anyone that I deemed a "good Christian" in my mind. I had an intense phobia that Jesus was going to show up at any moment, and if I was in the backseat of a car careening down the freeway at 65 mph when he happened to make his comeback...I knew that I would be SOL in an out-of-control-car with no driver.

Somewhere amidst the anxiety I realized that Christianity was a farce. With my new-found perspective I would go to church and I realized that all Christians only worship God because of the promise of paradise, that and if they don't they will be tortured for all of eternity.

Religion psychologically warps people. I know for a fact that I was indoctrinated as a child.

For example. if a politician rose to power and promised his followers the world, but tortured his opponents, we would rightfully call him a dictator. His own followers would eventually realize that if they ever turned against their leader they would also be tortured. That is the same premise of the God of Christianity.

That is also the same premise of an abusive relationship.

If God did not want human beings to have sex before they got married, then the sexual urge would not start until after you tied the knot.

The fear, guilt, and shame that religion engenders in children...simply for being human, is very much so psychological and emotional abuse.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

"Is teaching religion child abuse?"

yes.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

In my humble opinion,I think not teaching
children about religion is child abuse.
Thank-you for posting on my thread!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

I am sorry about your experiences at your church.
I want to thank-you for telling your story on my thread.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
LOlgical answer. If there wasn't anyone who believed in god and religion was a thing of the past - religion would still be taught just as it should be now. As an important historical text not holy but signifiant in historical literature.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

i think teaching children about religion is child abuse because religion encorporates neuro linguistic patterns into language that usurp free will, influence and manipulate and control opinions, intentions, priorities, and actions and behaviors, and are used to literally force feed and/or brain rape children. with religion people are born into a system in which no child born today is permitted to live long enough to learn all the laws before they die, nor even no the number of them.

friends and family do not place mandatory expectations (laws) on friends and family that they must conform to in order to be a law abiding citizen of society.

religions to me is the equivelent of forcing 2 month olds to play monopoly, and slapping them in the face whenever they break the rules of the game. maybe not a fair analogy considering children in warzones get far more than just slapped in the face.

these are some of my thoughts about why religion can be considered child abuse.

religion is just one aspect of a universal one world order that controls through neuro linguistical programming, effectively usurping one's own free will, unless one can consciously acknowledge and recognize all the words and all their encryptions and encodings and not be manipulated by them.

But, if you think not teaching children about religion is considered child abuse, then let me share something about religion i think is pertinent to the conversation...

eden [phonetically and reversed] nude

i am capable of providing thousands of examples of how truisms of past present and future exist in the words.

stood
boots

feed
beef

shower
rewash

trophy
effort

in lip
ni pil (nipple)

look i fear
luk i fer
luc i fer
lucifer
lose cipher?

child abuse, aka brain rape

thanks for entertaining some of my ideas,
et

edit on 20-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add stuff

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
No teaching children religion is not child abuse.

I personally think however that there is a fine line,

In my opinion children should not be taught religion, they should be taught about religions. They should be taught about the various ways that religions have shaped the modern world. This therefore educates them and gives them the ability to make their own choices in life, be it religious or not.

Thanks

Truth_Hz

edit on 20-9-2010 by Truth_Hz because: my terrible grammar innit...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
[delurk]

No, teaching religion does not have to be child abuse - although in my experience, it was.

I was raised Catholic in Australia. In primary school, half of my teachers, as well as the principal, were Josephite nuns; in high school, priests. Their primary tools were shame and violence, and in at least one priest's case, sexual abuse.

From my first day of kindergarten, the nuns taught us that everything we did was wrong. Talking was wrong. Crying was wrong. Refusing to stick your hand in the bucket of boiling water they brought for us to wash out milk bottles was wrong. Doing something wrong was punished by them hitting us on the hand with the handle of a feather duster, or a heavy wooden school ruler. (In high school, each teacher owned a cane.)

Beyond kindergarten, in addition to the nuns teaching us that everything we did was wrong, they also taught us that everything we were was wrong. We were sinners. We were born with original sin and thus nothing we could do was right or worthy. Everything we did wrong hurt God and nailed Jesus to the Cross. Jesus died on the Cross because I lied, or because I stuck my chewing gum under the chair. The nuns taught us this continually since I was 7.

In addition to the nuns teaching us that everything we did and were was wrong, they treated us coldly. One wet day I slipped over while running and fell into a mud puddle. Cold, covered in mud, and crying, I went to the nearest nun, who scowled at me and told me how angry my mother was going to be that I had gotten my clothes muddy. Another day, I was refused permission to leave class to use the toilet, and I lost control of my bladder and peed in class. I was made to stand alone in the middle of the playground until my clothes dried out. When I began to run away from school, and was hauled back, the nuns didn't ask me why. They told me why: that I ran away from school because I loved myself more than I loved anyone else, and that was wrong.

Bear in mind that these adults advocated God's love and compassion.

High school was similar, except that the priests added sex to the mix. Sex was natural and beautiful - except for us, in which case it was wrong. Sex with another person was wrong. Sex alone was wrong. Thinking sexual thoughts was wrong. If we committed the mortal sin of masturbation and then died before we could confess, we would go instantly and permanently to hell.

While the priests were teaching us how wrong we were to be sexual beings, one of them, our year master, was sexually abusing my classmates. Rumours in the playground warned that it wasn't safe to be alone with him. One morning in Religious Instruction class, while another priest was telling us how wrong we were to have sexual feelings, one of my classmates broke into tears and confessed what our year master had been doing to him in his office. Our RI teacher hustled my classmate to the principal's office, and nothing more was heard of it, other than that my classmate left school as soon as he could.

This year, 2010, that old form master of mine, the priest, pleaded guilty to sexually abusing dozens of students, and was jailed for almost twenty years. The school principal at the time, also a priest, was convicted of lying to police about the incidents. The local newspaper has provided police with letters written by the bishop at the time, and his successor, the current bishop, which show they possessed sound evidence of child abuse by the priests in their diocese, and did not inform police.

I send my son to a progressive independent school which teaches no explicit religion but which encourages spirituality, self-worth, respect for others, assertiveness, individuality and creativity. The teachers are warm and compassionate while setting firm, rational limits. No-one is allowed to hit anyone. My son got his clothes dirty at school one day and a teacher gave him clean clothes from the spares they keep on hand for that purpose - no fuss, no shame. I intend to teach my son about the benefits I've gained from studying and practising Buddhism and process philosophy, because I believe those teachings have the potential to help him be happy. But I can't recommend Catholicism - not to him, and especially not to parents with school-age children.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I think it depends on how adamant the parents are about their children living their current religion to the letter. Any religion alows you to study your religion, make disciples, obey a strict set of rules, grow up work and pay your taxes, get married have children and teach them to do the same. Thats it! In a nut shell.

Wrong or right, true or false, religion has been a good thing in my life. Or has it? I might could have been learning something more valuble than trying to figure out how I was going to do greater works than Jesus did when he was on the earth.

Here is an interesting short video by Jordan Maxwell on the subject of religion.

edit on 12-10-2010 by Voyager1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yes, I do believe teaching religion to kids could be considered child abuse. This is because kids will believe anything you tell them, so if you told them about a religion you believe in, they'll automatically believe you. You need to let the kids mature before you get them into religion, and tell them about all their different options and let them choose what they want to believe in.

I was raised Catholic. Growing up, I always went to church, Sunday school, and church camps. Then I got older, and started thinking. This year, as I am 13, I switched my religion to Agnostic. Agnosticism is the belief that human knowledge is based on experience, therefore we simply do not know (and probably never know) if gods are real. But I'm not as skeptical as an Atheist, for example I believe in an afterlife (yes, there is evidence). If only I had been born and no one forced me into a religion, these would have always been my thoughts.

I believe that we should not teach our children about a single religion, but of all the religions, and non-religions, that exist. That way, the kids would be able to make a choice. With that, the Atheist/Agnostic rates would go up, but I wouldn't consider that a bad thing, more of a it's-good-that-these-kids-know-how-to-make-logical-decisions thing.
edit on 16-10-2010 by nicolee123nd because: additional info

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Thanks for sharing your story, I can see exactly where you're coming from. I'm 13 and see why you would think such things as a child.
edit on 16-10-2010 by nicolee123nd because: spelling

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Abuse
to use wrongly or improperly; misuse: to abuse one's authority.
to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way: to abuse a horse; to abuse one's eyesight.
to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign.
to commit sexual assault upon.
Obsolete . to deceive or mislead.

The only one that could be abuse as you say would be to deceive, that is of course if you believe that what they are teaching their children is false, which you must...

Of course they believe it a true so are they really being abusive?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

teach your child whatever you want as long as its not hateful. if you teach your children to go out and be racist or too old fashioned, i don't think its child abuse, but you are setting them up for some embarassments later in life.

i dont' see any reason to teach your children about multiple religions, especially ones you don't belong to. just teach them that there are other religions. a parent shouldn't have to be an answer for everything, if they want to learn correct information about other religions they're better off going to the library or talking to friends who practice then to a parent who's never practiced.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's a bit far out calling it child abuse.

Na,I think a little faith and hope could get you through some tough times.Don't see anything wrong with teaching kids about Christianity or any other religion.

Whats the point in living if you don't believe in anything.Can't see why atheists should rob people of that.I do agree you get some people who take religion a bit far or distort the messages of their prophets but,all in all, religion is needed.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Seems like some on the Left are More Fearfull of MORALITY than Religion . Talk about Unreasonable Behavior ........

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

I have a grandchild your age.
A lot of religions seem to force
their own interpretations of scripture
onto the public.Ask yourself these
questions...
1.Do you believe in God?
2.Do you believe in Jesus?
3.Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross?
4.Do you believe He died to pay OUR sin debt
to God?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions,
what does God and Jesus mean to you?Forget
what you have been taught by the catholic church.
Discover the Lord for yourself,pray to him and let
His spirit be your guide.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

What harm could there be in telling children stories of Jesus,
or any other religious figure?

Children are impressionable, plain and simple. They will take whatever is taught or told to them at face value for they are not old nor mature enough to deem fact from fiction on their own.

While teaching religion may not cause direct physical harm to a child, it can cause great mental harm. I for one would not teach my children that they are sinners as per the bible teaches everyone is. Instead, I teach my children that they are human beings with human desires and needs and so long as those desires and needs cause no harm to another person, then there is nothing wrong with whatever they choose to do.

Let's look at the homosexual community for example. If I were religious, especially monotheistic, I would have a very horrible moral decision to make... accept my child for whom he/she is should they turn out gay or accept God and his idiotic ruling that being gay is a horrible sin?

Being non religious and shunning the mythology foretold in biblical scripture saves me from such idiotic "moral" decisions. Love is love, no matter what form it takes and love is never a sin. Religious people are nothing more than a bunch of immoral, intolerant, hateful bunch who place more love in a being they have never ever ever ever met than they do for their own people. Simply unthinkable garbage to me.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

That is your choice to make and a
decision that you have to live with.
Your shunning of religion doesn't
save you,it blinds you.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with telling a kid stories...but right around the time you tell him Santa isn't real, you should also tell your kid women weren't formed out of a rib and that snakes can't talk.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join