It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is teaching religion child abuse?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I would say it can be abuse to a degree if you dont give them a choice of what to believe. You get parents with a no tolerance to anything but their religion.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
I am asking,do you believe, teaching children about religion,is a form of child abuse? If your answer is yes,I would like for you to explain why.

Yes. ( Lutheran- Might as well be Catholic- all of the guilt no confession)

I had to go to church every sunday (sunday school afterward) and the earliest memory I had was the paster telling me (along with the entire congregation that I was a sinner. ) As good as I was the next week I was still a sinner. (Who needs to be told week after week that their best efforts won't change what you are?)

Yes it's abuse designed to break your spirit.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

I am sorry to hear about your experience as a child.Children need to
be told what is appropriate for their age,and spiritual development.
The truth is,we are all born sinners.We have a sin nature that is contradictory to God.I know that some religious teachings are not really
suitable for children.You don't give a new born baby a steak and expect
him to eat it.You start out with giving a baby milk,then as they grow,
solid food.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

reply to post by ..5..

I am sorry to hear about your experience as a child.Children need to
be told what is appropriate for their age,and spiritual development.
The truth is,we are all born sinners.We have a sin nature that is contradictory to God.I know that some religious teachings are not really
suitable for children.You don't give a new born baby a steak and expect
him to eat it.You start out with giving a baby milk,then as they grow,
solid food.

I find that offensive. You find it morally justifiable to judge my newborn son to the point of name calling and exclaiming he's a sinner according to your immoral hypocritical religion? Christianity needs to come to an end, you people are backwards, barbaric and overly uneducated.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

To put it quite plainly I believe anything that hasn't been proven as fact (or what we except as human "fact") shouldn't be taught to children. This isn't to take away from the fact that when the child becomes of age they can make up their own minds. But until then I see it as every parents responsibility not to obscure a childs view of the world. Because as sad as it is at the heart of anything we only have ourselves and teaching fairy tales only makes the truth harder.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by NoJoker13]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Sorry,if the truth hurts.WE are all born sinners and as a christian,I'm
a sinner saved by grace.
Congratulations on the new baby!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

People like you believe only what they want to believe.
Will only accept sources of proof they aprove of.
That does sound like me as well,imagine that!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

reply to post by sirnex

a sinner saved by grace.

Do you have blue eyes? If not, well sucks to be you! Only blue eyed people have souls. We're God's children. All the other people are sinners and end up in hell no matter what..

And to stay on topic. Is teaching religion child abuse?

It's abuse if it's done wrong (=indoctrination).

[edit on 10-2-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
No, it's not child abuse to teach children to live a good moral life. All this so called "brainwashing" talk cracks me up. I know too many people who have became agnostic or atheist when religion was forced on them. Usually more times than not, people will rebel against what is forced on them.

Is it child abuse to atheist to tell their children they shouldn't believe in religion? Since they cannot be proved right or wrong. Should they give ALL points of view and let their children make up their own mind? When it comes to religion/atheism we tend to have a 1-way street. Everyone forgets these people grow up and develop their own beliefs. I'm Christian, but I sure don't have the same belief systems as my parents or my grandparents do.

I know too many people raise agnostic or atheist who have converted to some form of religion and others who were religious that went the other way. Too much Political Correctness in our country. When people tell us what we should share with out children, it is ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thomasc83
Is it child abuse to atheist to tell their children they shouldn't believe in religion?

It's bad, but not as bad as telling your kid that he/she will end up in Hell unless..

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Only a mod can tell me what to do on my thread!

Teaching children about religion is not child abuse.
Some religions do go overboard,but,not all do.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

reply to post by sirnex

a sinner saved by grace.

Prove that an infant has sinned.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
If you are going to teach children about religion, you should teach them about every religion and also the alternatives.

That is a big thing to do - but if you do not do it, you are brainwashing them into your beliefs.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Well,I have dark-brown eyes,so,what does that make me?
Where did you ever dig up that idea that only blue-eyed
people have souls?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Before Adam sinned,there was no death.After Adam sinned,it is
appointed to every man(mankind) to die once.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
this is copy and pasted from another thread I just wrote ...

my answer is yes ...

to believe in a god is not the problem, the problem is to believe in a religion

everyone of us should be allowed to research, to use their brain, to find what they think about this (our life) and to make - remake their own minds

but no, in our society, most of the people are born with a religion and they follow it to death without thinking

thats the sin, to NOT THINK ... please, for you to create your own beliefs, you need to research about a lot of things scientific, historic and philosophic

we are motivating our kids to NOT THINK about our world, and maybe thats why we cant evolve our brains

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

reply to post by sirnex

Before Adam sinned,there was no death.After Adam sinned,it is
appointed to every man(mankind) to die once.

First, there is no scriptural evidence for that statement, and if you truly believe there is such, then please quote the exact relevant verse from genesis.

Second, what one man or woman does has no bearing on the unborn. A child yet to be born is incapable of sin nor should be deemed a sinner due to what someone else may have done in the past to the tune of thousands of years.

Epic fail. Typical Christian. Your used to it.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Babbling like a moron and calling it "praying in tongues" and teaching children that it's real is abuse.
Blaming anything and everything on invisible demons and then trying to cast the demons out and teaching children that's normal is abuse.
Not getting the kid medical help because you'd rather pray is abuse.
Dancing around with poison snakes and getting kids to do it is abuse.
Drinking poison and getting children to do it because the Bible says you can is abuse.

Teaching children about your faith, while misguided is not abuse.
Batsh1t crazy religion however... certainly is.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The only time I could consider religious faith to be child abuse would be in the extreme cases such as the phelps family.
On the other hand, that doesn`t mean I support indoctrination from birth, I think parents should wait until their children are in their late teens and then allow them to decide their own faith or lack thereof.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
No teaching religion too your children is not abuse at all, it is teaching them the morals and values and that you want them to have. Thats all nothing more nothing less.
As example, I could say stealing is wrong.
Well for some people stealing is not wrong right? Otherwise we would not have thief's. However To me stealing is immoral. am I more or less right than the Thief? Well I like to think I ma right and he/she is wrong and so I am going to tell my son, "Don't steal....stealing is wrong." I am not going to tell him, well its okay as long as its something you really want.
Now with that in mind If I believe in God I am going to tell my kid, "Hey kid there is a God and this is what He says."
Why?
Well its simple because in this case I believe that God exists and wants my son to know him, and this is how I believe God can best be known. If I did not believe this was the best way to know God I would belong to a different religion.
Pretty Simple Huh?

edit on 19-9-2010 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join