It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Quakes 4.8 - 7.2 & Destructive Tsunami Rock the Solomon Islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
G'day ATS,

This story is BIG for two reasons:

1) The sheer number of earthquakes in one place and their magnitude.

2) The tsunami and the destruction that it has caused to the residents of these islands.

Destructive tsunami crashes over Solomon Islands

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – A tsunami unleashed by a major earthquake plowed into the Solomon Islands on Monday with the crashing waters devastating at least one village.

Initial reports said no one was seriously hurt.

A series of major quakes have rocked the South Pacific region since Sunday, with three powerful tremblors striking Monday, including a 7.2 magnitude tremor. The Solomon Island's National Disaster Management Office said reports of the devastation were beginning to filter in late Monday.

The tremors were centered beneath the ocean floor near the town of Gizo, which was badly damaged in April 2007 when a 8.1-magnitude quake sent a tsunami crashing into the coast, killing more than 50 people.

Monday's tsunami devastated a village on Rendova Island, some 188 miles (300 kilometers) from the capital Honiara, disaster management official Loti Yates told The Associated Press.

You can find the details of the quakes HERE, but here is a snapshot to show you quickly:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad08ea21dc5b.png[/atsimg]

OOOPS missed off the 7.2 one but you get the idea!

I wonder if this will signal quakes up and down the Pacific like we had in 2009? We saw a cluster of large quakes in a few days there, I hope for the sake of the inhabitants of this region it doesn't occur again.

This may be one to keep an eye on ATS!

All the best, Kiwifoot!

(PS I checked the fire-hose, the new topics, the search button and general search and came up blank even though this was about 20 hours ago, sorry mods if there's a thread on this already!)

[edit on 4-1-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Kiwifoot,

i have been wondering all day why nobody created a thread on this. I saw it (for me) early this morning and i did mention it in my own thread. But i guess earthquakes are soooo 2009......

Anyway, really appreciate the effort and so S+F for you..

Peace

[edit on 4/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Kiwifoot,

i have been wondering all day why nobody created a thread on this. I saw it (for me) early this morning and i did mention it in my own thread. I even gave notice that a big event was coming a couple of days earlier but i guess earthquakes are soooo 2009......

Anyway, really appreciate the effort and so S+F for you..

Peace

Sweet mate, could you do me a favour and link those threads of yours?

I could get them from your profile but it's probably quicker for you.

Would be a great idea to have them in one place, and we have to highlight YOUR prediction!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I am to modest to spam my own threads in other peoples threads so if you really want to know look under my profile for "Indonesian earthquake calculated..."

I consider it more of a fluke and was merely created to prove a point towards people who believe in predictions. There is however a way more serious thread on ATS and this has been running considerably longer and has a higher degree of science and fact.

Quake watch 2009

I know they have been talking about the issue.

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I forget the logical follow up to that thread...

Quake watch 2010

figures...

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Yeah.....don't mention it.

One line...

Two line...

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Sorry mate, Thanks for that link! I was going to try and get a mod to redirect to that, 2010 Quake watch thread, but got sidelined!

I like those threads but sometimes important issues get overlooked because they get lost among the hundreds of replies!

What do you reckon mate?

[edit on 4-1-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Oh no, i completely agree and i really appreciate you creating this thread because as i mentioned, i was surprised as well to not find a separate thread dedicated to this event.

But i think Hellmutt said i very correctly

Significant or particularly destructive quakes can of course also be reported as individual threads.

And i agree that this event is significant.

Peace

PS: hope i didn't accidently kill this thread..

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well according to the bbc's slightly differing report there were thankfully no casualties.

BBC Report

It also seems as though the solomons are no strangers to earthquakes or tsunami, theres a few links on the bbc page.

[edit on 4/1/10 by ioweagle]

[edit on 4/1/10 by ioweagle]

new topics

top topics

join