It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Device turns thoughts into speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Device turns thoughts into speech

www.msnbc.msn.com

Scientists have successfully tested a system that translates brain waves into speech, raising the prospect that people left mute by stroke, Lou Gehrig's disease and other afflictions will one day be able to communicate by synthetic voice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Now as long as they don't give this thing to my girlfriend it could do some good !

Aside from all the people that this type of tech could help out I can't help but wonder if we will ever approach a point in time where we create some Borg's , RESISTANCE IS FUTILE !

I wonder if one day this tech could be used in reverse , turn speech into someone's thought ?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Vowels are a good start! It shouldn't be too long (maybe two or three years is my guess) before we have a good working brain-to-speech communicator.

Of course, the conspiracy theorist in me would like to say that this might one day be able to read our minds by this very method. Implanted nodes today, stick-on tomorrow, and embedded in clothing after that. At that point, it's not only the speech impaired on whom it can be used. Now you've got a full-blown mind-reading device.

It may never come to fruition, and it may never be used for that purpose. But it makes one think.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I was actually thinking the same thing
However my worry is this has some interesting possibilities for law enforcement interrogations. Screw the polygraph, now you might have to train your mind not to give you up.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
if this is true it`s scary.it`s just the next step towards the minority report type thought police state,where your sectioned for just having a bad thought ,even though you`d never act on it in a million years.if they can translate thought into speech then they could make a device that you point at someone and it reads your mind.tptb would love that

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
National Geographic did a story on this and other mind control technologies...cool stuff but they have been researching the voice/brain wave stuff for awhile now...

Post by MemoryShock

I've been interested in this type of stuff for awhile now and there is a wealth of information out there...

Edit for tags.

[edit on Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:30:18 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
i wonder if it would work on animals- dolphins \ monkeys etc?... would be cool to hear them speak...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't know about the handicapped, but the last thing I need is my thoughts made audible.

It's like mind reading in reverse.

Great invention though.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
That could be good for the mute, but I just see too many prospects of that being corrupted, if it hasn't already.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Once they can convert thought / chemical reactions in the brain into something that can be read and interpolated by a computer one has to wonder just what would the limit be ?

One would like to think that such discoveries would only be used to help people but judging by history we see thats not the case .

The question I have is just what kind of world will we create for ourselves ?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
If this is a reality, it could be perfected to turn thought into visual audio so that dreams may be recorded while sleeping, old memories could be downloaded to disc, and creative thought such as building things, designing etc could be recorded. What's even better, witnesses to crime scenes could download "all" of the details into a file to use in court. Cool stuff.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

I have wished for this invention since I was a child!

Thanks for the info OP. Now I have reason for logic in case I ever hear an inanimate object speaking to me.

Knowledge is key

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamnot

I have wished for this invention since I was a child!

Thanks for the info OP. Now I have reason for logic in case I ever hear an inanimate object speaking to me.

Knowledge is key

I remember a movie I saw in the 1970s called "brainstorm" about this idea. It was cool. What they did was to take the memories of people and when you put on this headset you would experience the thoughts, feelings, and experiences as if they were your own. So you could be able to experience the memory of say, a high speed ski racer as he soars down hill at amazing speed, yet never leave your chair. It's the future of entertainment.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Tantalus

It has, believe it. There's no 'device' necessary, not one you'd be aware of anyway. Just a millimeter scanner and a supercomputer to snag your eeg, a satellite network, a few evil evil people pulling the trigger, creating the scenario, watching you respond in your thoughts...dreams. This is fact.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

That is one thing that I would love to do , record my dreams .

I have always been fascinated by the thought

Having said that I do have limits as to what might or might not be a fair trade off for such a devise .

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Originally posted by Max_TO

That is one thing that I would love to do , record my dreams .

Absolutely!! One of the beautiful things about that would be that you'd have a greater understanding of why things made sense in the dream but they don't in a waking state... Of course, that's probably decades beyond brain-to-speech. (Unless we mentally sleep-talk, that is)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
You could then implant a device into the section of the brain responsible for interpreting language, and then two people could talk to each other without ever opening their mouths!! How awesome would that be?!

Its unfortunate tho, that we have such distrust in our society that whenever a new technology is invented, something so earthshattering such this, we immediately think of the negative ramifications! Its just horrible.

AWESOME NONETHELESS!

new topics

top topics

join