It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What Could You Build In 23.456 Billion Working Man Hours?

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
A City perhaps?... Because in the US alone, that is roughly how many hours is current being wasted through unemployment in just one year.

Average of 1777 hours per year x 13.2 million unemployed = twenty-three billion four hundred fifty-six million four hundred thousand man hours per year.


en.wikipedia.org...




posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Me and two others could frame approximately 85,294,545 houses, each about 2000 ft2. We're talking two stories+unfinished bsmnt+attached garage.
How many houses from start to finish? If there was an effictient system of tradesmen, you're lookin' at about 40 million homes.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by heyo]



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalSubstance
A City perhaps?... Because in the US alone, that is roughly how many hours is current being wasted through unemployment in just one year.

Average of 1777 hours per year x 13.2 million unemployed = twenty-three billion four hundred fifty-six million four hundred thousand man hours per year.


en.wikipedia.org...


Great Question!! I guarantee I could solve the majority of societies ills! Give me half the people and half the money and I could change the world to something unrecognizable in 1 year!

Seriously, that is a ridiculous amount of waste! Heyo is correct, we could build a home for every person in the country, we could clean up every last piece of litter, we could hold hands and walk through the Rockies and find BigFoot, we could put all those people to work remodeling homes for our veterans, or volunteering at hospitals, or assisting teachers in classrooms, or searching incoming freight for drugs or weapons or humans. We could give everyone a digital camera and take at least that many photos of the sky! We could solve every conspiracy on this entire site!!



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Want to know? You can make 15 of the worlds tallest building, which costs 1.5 billion to make.



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalSubstance
A City perhaps?... Because in the US alone, that is roughly how many hours is current being wasted through unemployment in just one year.

Average of 1777 hours per year x 13.2 million unemployed = twenty-three billion four hundred fifty-six million four hundred thousand man hours per year.


en.wikipedia.org...



Some quick math. My last project took 11 months. Average number of sub contractors on site per day 85. Hours per week 60. 4.3 weeks per month.

11*4.3*85*60=241,230 man hours

Project was a 136 unit apartment complex with 1 recreation commercial building, 12-6 unit garages, 36 carports and two entry roads. From ground breaking to last move in. 10 acre site.

23.456 Billion/241,230

I could build 97,235 of these projects. That is 13,223,960 apartments.

Or (640 acres/sq mile) hence (97,235*10)/640=

1519 square miles of finished property

. That cannot be right. Check my math.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by endisnighe]



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo
 


I don't know about that finished product stuff. The framers I had would blow away all of the other tradesman in speed.

They usually blew through my projects in the first 2.5 months. Leaving a small 2 man crew for pick up work. From start to finish the framers were usually about 1/4-1/5 the time of the rest of the finish work to completion. Of course they did come in with 30 guys at a time. Went through lumber to beat hell. We needed a 40 yard dumpster for scrap lumber everyday.

So I would say your 85million to say 22 million to 32 million finish. But look at the frelling size of the finish product. JJJJJEEEEEZZZZZ



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe
 


Your maths look good to me


There's plenty of work to do, just look at Detroit for instance, but why is nothing being done? The whole City is practically a trash dump and we 13.2 million people sat on their asses. Something isn't right. Why not demolish all the abandoned buildings and build new apartment blocks? They could perhaps use all the land freed up for Agriculture maybe?

Thanks for the reply's friends



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I agree, this sucks, many good things could come of all the idol workers, not just products, but a great boost in moral, etc. I am all for it because it is practical and common sense.

BUT, I ask you guys seriously, intellectually - wouldn't working for state money on state projects be Communism of sorts?



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Personally, If I lived to be 100 and worked every hour of every day since I was born, I'd only be putting in 876,000 man hours.

You guys are amazing.



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red
 


Well I suspect if we were not so obsessed with labels and had faith in ourselves we could
correct things like this, because it makes sense, because it is our money. Labels be damned...



[edit on 4-1-2010 by Janky Red]



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red
 


Janky, where are all of those shovel ready projects the government promised in the beginning of the year?

And no, I am not speaking of the shovelling of riches into all of the bank's personal vaults.


Sorry, this thread had that written all over it.

I have been off work now for 1.5 years. In that time, with my experience in construction, I could had leveled and reconstructed any 20 acre site anywhere in the US.

Like I said, where are all of those supposed shovel ready projects?

No, I am not talking about that golf course or harbor that got remodeled for a measly 125 million dollars.


Sorry again, you know how I feel about our incompetent government. I dealt with the city of Fresno and its incompetency. Just magnify that by 2 million and you have the US federal government.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by endisnighe]



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Janky Red
 


Janky, where are all of those shovel ready projects the government promised in the beginning of the year?

And no, I am not speaking of the shovelling of riches into all of the bank's personal vaults.


Sorry, this thread had that written all over it.

I have been off work now for 1.5 years. In that time, with my experience in construction, I could had leveled and reconstructed any 20 acre site anywhere in the US.

Like I said, where are all of those supposed shovel ready projects?

No, I am not talking about that golf course or harbor that got remodeled for a measly 125 million dollars.


Sorry again, you know how I feel about our incompetent government. I dealt with the city of Fresno and its incompetency. Just magnify that by 2 million and you have the US federal government.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by endisnighe]


Like I said man, I would be fine by it, I personally think there should be a safety net
for people when they become unemployed, I also think it is not crazy to expect people to work for that money. Much good could come from this,,, just imagine is everyone had a home free and clear, what the money saved on hyper inflated interest mort rates
would be spent on... Or any of number of good things...

Anyhow I am sold, but then again I don't necessarily dislike the government or all socialistic policies, which this solution would rely upon to counter act the waste.

Could you be sold and how could you justify it to yourself? Not a trick question...
I wish everyone could frankly -


[edit on 4-1-2010 by Janky Red]



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red
 


I tell you what. I will take one of them 7 million homes sitting in decay or planned to be demolished. Free and clear, with the allodial title.

I am not asking for much. I am removing one of those toxic assets off the bank's bad asset list. They can just print up some nice new shiny dollar bills, send it to the bank, have the bank re ship it back to the Fed and POOF; house is paid for. Free and clear.

I just created $223,000 in assets. Of course they have been doing that now for 3 months. I need to get in now before the whole money laundering scheme totally destroys the dollar.

Things are not looking good. If they go ahead with their next 2 Trillion dollar printing press spree, that is what it was last year, this country is done. Kapoot, over.

You cannot keep propping up these assets by manufacturing another bubble. This bubble was created in one year, at the value some think in the neighborhood of 50 Trillion in off books transfers and manipulation by the Fed.

I am not thinking Weinmar or Zimbabwe. I am thinking a whole new definition of worthless dollars.

I hate being so pessimistic, but hell, at least I have a few ingots, do you?



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Janky Red
 


I tell you what. I will take one of them 7 million homes sitting in decay or planned to be demolished. Free and clear, with the allodial title.

I am not asking for much. I am removing one of those toxic assets off the bank's bad asset list. They can just print up some nice new shiny dollar bills, send it to the bank, have the bank re ship it back to the Fed and POOF; house is paid for. Free and clear.

I just created $223,000 in assets. Of course they have been doing that now for 3 months. I need to get in now before the whole money laundering scheme totally destroys the dollar.

Things are not looking good. If they go ahead with their next 2 Trillion dollar printing press spree, that is what it was last year, this country is done. Kapoot, over.

You cannot keep propping up these assets by manufacturing another bubble. This bubble was created in one year, at the value some think in the neighborhood of 50 Trillion in off books transfers and manipulation by the Fed.

I am not thinking Weinmar or Zimbabwe. I am thinking a whole new definition of worthless dollars.

I hate being so pessimistic, but hell, at least I have a few ingots, do you?


Preaching to the choir, I think we established in your thread that we have much more in common then what we both thought a couple months ago. I am keen to do some common sense good, if there are newly built houses slated to be demolished, put them in a lottery for citizens and let the builders write off all the expenses. No new new new money needed to be printed right?

No, I am piss poor and am pretty useless at this point in life, I go hungry sometimes,
but I never took a dime of public money. Now if I had a good job I would be very happy and work accordingly. As it is now I work when EVER there is work...



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red
 


I am down to two ingots.

That may last me one more year if I quit smoking. If I do not quit, 6 months.

$7/day for that habit. Jeeez.

Yes I do not know why common sense ideas like you just said, does not occur to our government.

One thing I can say is that if the original bailouts and such would have been given to the American People, every adult would have gotten in the neighborhood of $150,000.

I guess that would not have helped the economy though. /s



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Janky Red
 


I am down to two ingots.

That may last me one more year if I quit smoking. If I do not quit, 6 months.

$7/day for that habit. Jeeez.

Yes I do not know why common sense ideas like you just said, does not occur to our government.

One thing I can say is that if the original bailouts and such would have been given to the American People, every adult would have gotten in the neighborhood of $150,000.

I guess that would not have helped the economy though. /s


Ya I am of the same mind now... at first I was not sure what to think, now it is clear.

I mean how about this, they could have given the money to the tax payers who have debt to the crooked elite companies, to pay off their debts and subsequently re capitalize the poor victimized elite companies. One stone, two birds, debtor can spend money on other things therefore stimulating the economy.

Have you thought about rolling your own smokes?

On a side note, I have been to seven states this year, NY, PA, NJ, LA, RI, TX and MS

plus my home state Ca -

guess which one had the cheapest smokes? I thought it was counter intuitive but it is cali by a little less than a dollar, don't know why - NY and PA were up to $9-$10 a pack


anyhow I am trying to quit to, I ask myself why do I do something that is not particularly good for me, makes some elite Extree rich, while I am piss poor half the time?


[edit on 4-1-2010 by Janky Red]



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Excellent, excellent thread!


Unemployed...it's all in the framing, creating a perception. Janky's examples point this out; Calif has been framed in a certain way but does not always fit the perception. Many politicians and their media mouthpieces continue to cry out how they are victims, when in reality they're quite the opposite, and have been for quite awhile.

Are the unemployed to be considered a drain on society, a necessary economic correction, lazy, in need of education, etc, or as a vast pool of untapped resource to benefit the nation. Every summer I use facilities made by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the other depression, or enjoy the art created under the WPA. We use power and recreation supplied by Hoover Dam.

It would be a great idea to send the ideas of this thread to our politicians. Citizens need to keep demanding, and demanding loudly, so more of our representatives get the message.



posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
i could build 4,600,000,000 high performance computers like the one i currently own.



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I dunno... Maybe one of these:



Of course if I had one of these, I could solve that whole unemployment problem toot-sweet! Of course, I'd wait until 11:11 GMT on 12/21/12 to do it... Just so that the Mayans could be right and all...



posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts
 


Starred because it looks good


What is it?



new topics

top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join