It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India and Australia condemn student killing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

India and Australia condemn student killing

news.bbc.co.uk

The governments of India and Australia have condemned the killing of an Indian student in the Australian city of Melbourne on Saturday night.

Mr Garg was stabbed to death on his way to a fast food restaurant in Melbourne.

There have been a number of attacks on Indian students in Australia in the past year.

Australian police blamed the attacks on opportunistic criminals, but some Indian students see them as racist.

Australian PM Kevin Rudd to reassure the Indian government that Aus
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Can anyone talk to me about this
Indians being subjected to "Go back to India" statements in Australia is growing and growing.
What's the deal with this?
What's the hatred for?

I always thought Australia was a great place, of course not every aussie gets condemned for the actions of others, but i've noticed too many racist incidents in Australia for the last couple of years and that hatred growing and growing.

What is it all about?

Aussies being violent against Indians is incredibly common now, what happened?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I find that completely ridiculous.
Like they have to publically condemn it????
Who in their right mind would condone it??
How stupid.

(not directed at you OP)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
wow
how crazy is this

australians attacks on indians in 2009 has it's own wiki page
en.wikipedia.org...

can't believe it

any aussies out there can fill me in on what's the deal?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I have read about many instances of such attacks. There seems to be lot of hate crimes in Australia such as in 2009 alone

Crimes against Indian students in 2009 included:

* "David", a 21 year old Indian student, was beaten unconscious in the Melbourne suburb of Glenroy on 4 May 2009. Four men had surrounded him, the one from behind smashing a bottle over his . before continuing to punch and kick him.[11]

* An Indian student was assaulted and robbed by a gang on a train while traveling to his home in Werribee in Melbourne's western suburbs in May 2009. He said his attackers asked "Why the f--- did you come here?"[12]

* A 25 year old student was stabbed in the . with a screwdriver in May 2009 while he was partying with three other Indian students.[13]

* An Indian graduate living in the Sydney suburb of Harris Park, had a petrol bomb thrown through his bedroom window on 24 May 2009. He received burns to 30 percent of his body and the blaze was extinguished by his Indian housemates. One housemate said that they had no enemies and he did not know the reason for the attack. The housemate also said that the area was not safe, and that he knew neighbours who had been robbed.[14]

* A 25 year old Indian student was stabbed in the abdomen near Carnegie railway station in Melbourne on 25 May. One of his two attackers laughed during the assault.[15]

* A student was badly beaten by a group of fifteen people on Chapel Street, Prahran, Victoria on 30 May.[16]

* On 2 June, a 21 year old Indian student was slashed across the chest with a box-cutter knife in Frankston. The incident occurred a day after a Sikh temple in Shepparton was vandalised.[17]

* On 8 June, Indians were attacked in Harris Park, allegedly by a group of Lebanese men, which sparked a street protest.[18] The local police superintendent said there was no suggestion that these incidents were racially motivated.[19]

* On 8 June, a 23 year old man was beaten unconscious while walking home from the St Albans train station. In the suburb of Springvale, an Indian student's car was torched.[20]

* On 11 June, a 22 year old old Indian student was assaulted in Rundle Mall in Adelaide. The fight, which resulted in the student's nose being broken, began when the attacker struck at his turban.[21]

* On 13 June, a 24 year old man was attacked by three people in Melbourne as he was about to enter his car. He was punched directly in the face by one while another hit him over the . from behind rendering him unconscious. He reported that they stole his mobile phone, wallet and car keys.[22]

* On 15 June, a 20 year old man was attacked by two men as he was entering his car in Boronia. He claims the men slammed the car door on his hand, punched him in the . and stomach, then racially abused him, calling him a "----ing Indian c---". He also identified one man as white and one appearing to be of African descent.[23]

* On 29 June, a 22 year old Sikh man was attacked when a group of six teenagers tried to remove his turban and cut off his hair. Two of the attackers were later arrested by Victorian police.[24]

en.wikipedia.org...

Now if you know anything about Sikhs, even touching their turban is considered a grave insult and dont even talk about cutting the hair.

Earlier they seemed to random attacks but now it has emerged that many of them are racially motivated attacks.

There was also a huge protest few months ago by Indian students there

Thousands protest against Indian student attacks

Indian students protest in Australia
[edit on 4-1-2010 by December_Rain]

[edit on 4-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

S & F

I also would like to get the perspective from some of our Aussie members. We always hear about whats going wrong in the US, UK and EU.

Could some of our Aussie members please chime in.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I found this strange too, i think there is a touch of sensationalism here too.
Its hard to prove if it was a racially motivated attack aswell. I grew up in Adelaide and it does/did seem to not have the same problems with ethnic groups as the east. Its not something i had thought was going on.
Maybe there is more to it, i mean there is also a raised number of Indian students than ever before, kind of makes sense that there are more incidents. And it could be a case of any attack on a Indian is percieved as a racist attack. I wouldnt think all are but strongly condemn any that actually are.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Just found some video

So far the response of Australian govt. seems in positive direction however, much more remains to be done at police officer level to stop such attacks in view of the latest attack.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
So far the response of Australian govt. seems in positive direction however, much more remains to be done at police officer level to stop such attacks in view of the latest attack.

Well simply having the "Police" stopping attacks does not address the underlying causes creating the situation in the first place.

Is it simply racism?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't see how it can't be racism as it's just one particular ethnic group being targetted.

I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, that students from China outnumber indian students in australia.

Yet chinese students aren't being targetted.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The statements from the students do indicate the attacks were racist in nature...such as removing turban and then try to cut hair, racist slurs etc. If you read the statements of the students they talk about local enforcement officials not paying heed to their complaints. That's why I included that statement in my previous post.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Oz attacks on Indians rose after police operation called off: FISA

Assaults on Indian students in Australia have increased in the last two-three weeks since a special police operation launched to secure the physical safety of students in August last year was withdrawn in December 2009.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

Wow, that's pretty sad to say the least.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I am not sure but I recall reading somewhere the attacks were being committed by Lebanese gangs and "white" gangs whatever that may be as they are not happy with increasing Indians students there. The article talked about this - students work part time jobs to support themselves so that means less part time jobs available for other people and thats why Indian students were being attacked.

I am not sure how accurate that is, but that is what I read.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Is it simply racism?

Quite possibly but not restricted to.
Australia has a pretty deep core of racism, i have often had arguments with my Dad over his casual racism. Mind you in Oz its not just restricted to one group, all races have their moments.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Mind you in Oz its not just restricted to one group, all races have their moments.

As an American I'm all too familiar with Racism.
I'm well aware of that fact. I was interested in getting our Aussie cousins perspective.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Nah this is all BS! It's just the law of averages that in a thousand attacks a Indian person may get attacked now and then.

Plus they tend to take on high risk jobs like taxi driver's and convenience store cashiers. Prime targets for junkies if you ask me!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
yeah i agree it sjust the law of averages. I've been attacked before by a group of 8 mouri looking kids all because they wanted my packet of cigarettes. i dont call it racists. I call it kids doing stupid things, wanting to be cool & tough... though they're actually idiots...

We have idiots in the world who do stupid things. they're of every colour, of every country, of every culture. Just because these stupid idiots happen to make a racist remark while commiting a crime doesn't mean the crime was due to racism and that person was targeted due to thier specific race.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Does attacks against white citizens qualify as racist?

Try balancing the number of attacks perpetrated by ethnic groups on ethnic groups against the percentage of ethnic present in the given population.

It makes quite a case FOR ethnic profiling as a tool for law enforcement.

[edit on 1/8/2010 by kerontehe]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It’s pretty sad when ever anyone is the victim of wanton, needless or senseless violence.

I think a lot of it whenever it happens, where ever it happens is in large part due to the bad economy worldwide.

People who feel like they ‘belong’ look at people who they believe ‘don’t belong’ because they don’t appear to be ‘from around here’ and imagine that those ‘outsiders’ are part of the problem. They took the jobs, or they charge too much at the store that they bought, or they have it easy because the government gave them this or that and shouldn’t or it’s easy for them to get by because 20 of them live to one room and all they ever eat is rice anyway.

I have heard all that over the years living in various parts of the U.S. with heavy ethnic/immigrant populations.

When times are good you see less of that kind of stereotyping and bigotry, when times are bad you see more of it.

Ignorance is a hard thing to overcome.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Modern Academia....Im am fed up with you startign threads trying to portray All Australians as racists!

Thats BS.

Yes there are more Chinese students than indians here but they dont go around and act "cocky" in groups like Indian students do bringing attention to themselves at the wrong places at the wrong times.

Im not condoning what has happended here......like others mentioned in the other thread, just because he was killed here how can you call that racist?

you do not even know who the perpetrator is....what if it was another indian student, or sri lankan, or chinese?

You are immediately assuming it was a white anglo saxon stereo typical aussie?

Are you still upset over the cricket results and are using this as revenge or something?

You mate seem to be on some sort of mission to slander Australians.....Ive had it with your rhetoric.....

you want to start a thread about this, then fair enough....stick to the facts....not ideologies.

The other point here is alot of attacks against Indian students for some absurd reason make the media whilst many attacks against white Australians never do.....

you know why?

Because the government is wetting its pants if the true extent came out of migrant attacks against white Australians in case there is another riot like there was a few years ago in Sydney.

Us Aussies can only put up with so much........

You can keep boasting about your anti-australian crusade in all this, but Im not standing for it......many will support me here.......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join