It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is just believing in Jesus enough to save us, or do we have to ACT?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Im not very familiar in Christian religion, so i ask you christians

is all you have to do is BELIEVE in Jesus and you will be accepted and saved, or is it that you have to ACT on those beliefs and live up to the standards that Jesus has set forth?

[edit on 4-1-2010 by l neXus l]

[edit on 4-1-2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

My question is, why wouldn't you act like a good person?

Being a Christian, in my opinion, isn't just believing that Christ died for your sins, its making a lifetime commitment to being a better person.

You know, trying not to harm others, staying away from sin, etc.

I see you edited your title too...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
yeh i edited it, i wasnt sure if i was clear the first time, and i totally believe what you said, i just know a lot of people who say, if you just believe than you are saved, no matter what you do,

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I don't think its "no matter what you do".

There is this little thing called Blasphemy.
Which I would advice against it.
Look it up, if you are curious.

I just feel that if you live to help others, and try to be honest in every aspect of life, you can be a better Christian.

Just my $0.02.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i know what blasphemy is and i am not a blasphemer

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Well, there you go, my friend.

I think you have answered your own questions.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
i was just wondering, what the majority of the people think, because there are a lot of poor sould who wont be saved

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
i was just wondering, what the majority of the people think, because there are a lot of poor sould who wont be saved

Many Christian denominations proselytize rather aggressively.
The first question they ask is 'are you saved'. If one were to
ask the average Catholic Christian or any moderate Christians,
they would hesitate, because only God knows who will be saved.
Once one hesitates, thats their in. Some Evangelicals hold to
belief in Jesus as Lord ones only salvation, all others go straight
to hell. If that were true there must be a lot of 'good' people in
hell, Ghandi, Thomas Jefferson, to name but a couple. However,
when the rich young man asks Jesus what more must he do to be
saved, besides telling him to sell all he has....he is told to
"follow me". This presents a problem to the Jew who is faithful
to the Torah, eternal Israel. Yet we know the Jews are saved
because of the unconditional covenant God made with Abraham.

I believe all who are saved, whether Jew, Christian, Muslem etc are
saved through Christ, there is no salvation outside of Christ, there
is no outside of Christ. As in Karl Rhaner's 'annomous Christian'.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

is all you have to do is BELIEVE in Jesus and you will be accepted and saved, or is it that you have to ACT on those beliefs and live up to the standards that Jesus has set forth?

The bible says NO! Some Christians say yes but they don't understand the bible, here is the scripture.

Faith without Good Deeds Is Dead

James 2:17-26

17So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
18Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”
19You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.
20How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?
21Don’t you remember that our ancestor Abraham was shown to be right with God by his actions when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?
22You see, his faith and his actions worked together. His actions made his faith complete.
23And so it happened just as the Scriptures say: “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.”He was even called the friend of God.
24So you see, we are shown to be right with God by what we do, not by faith alone.
25Rahab the prostitute is another example. She was shown to be right with God by her actions when she hid those messengers and sent them safely away by a different road.
26Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works

The demons absolutely believe in Jesus & God, and it doesn't help them. Belief and faith is not enough we must act with "works". To disagree with that means you disagree with the bible itself.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

After Jesus was born He lived, deid and was resurrected.

Seven Sabbaths + 50 days later Jesus returned as the Spirit and He indwelled those that believe who He was and what He achieved.

So it is believing and receiving.

Any ACTS that come from this relationship with the Spirit are called 'fruits of the Spirit'...
...these are not like following external rules...
...but grow naturally out of the relationship with the Spirit.

[edit on 4/1/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I tell you what, there's a man and a woman that's been debilitated by a genetic defect from birth that would prevent them from getting outside their home for the rest of their lives and worse, they will only live to 20 years...

Then one day, a stranger came to them, completely healed all their defects could now live normal lives and live to a full life span of a normal human! The stranger didn't asked for anything, it was free! Of course, this is just a story I made up.

But would you think they will still ACT like they did before when they were crippled? Of course human nature will still be there, but things will change, they won't be the same person again. If they truly deserved the miracle, most likely, they will do the same thing to others what the stranger did to them. Helping others who were once like them will become the driving force in their lives.

Take your time, things like this aren't supposed to be done in a hurry. If you are patient, someday, it will just click!

[edit on 4-1-2010 by ahnggk]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Of coarse God takes into account ability and circumstances, that's a given. But let's take a normal healthy person who is mentally and emotionally stable. What is there excuse for no works? Do you think God cuts them the same level of leeway as he does somebody that has severe limitations?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.

doing, not just believing!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Acting is actually far more important than believing. Believing isn't even required, but doing/keeping the commandments are.

John 14

11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Even if a person doesn't believe the father is within Jesus, they can still believe for the very works sake. In fact, in John 10 it is by the works of Jesus that he tells them they can know he is who he says he is.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
if you believe that you can run 5 miles but dont ACT on it, then you wont get the reward for doing it, you have to act in order to recieve

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
one way to look at it is to see how god treated certain people throughout the bible. then it would give you a clear picture of who gets saved and who doesnt.

a few weeks ago i remember studying about rehab.

rehab was a prostitute an generally the sort of person that you think would not be saved by god.

yet when spies from israel came. she took action. she told them that she know joshua would take Jericho (she believed that GOD was with him) and she took action to protect the 2 spies at the risk of her own life.

the spies instructed her to to take her family and hide them in her house and to hang a red cord out her window. so now rehab had to have the courage to tell her family. if one of them disagreed, it could have put her life in danger.

all of this saved her life. she even went on to be an ancestor of christ. but chances are, that if she didnt have faith that this would happen or the courage to act, she would not have been spared.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
i like rehab, she has a very inspirational story

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
several other scriptures pop into my head.

john 17:[3] And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

believing and know GOD is is a requirement.

john 4:[23] But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
[24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

i remember a comment i heard about this scripture that points out that "in spirit" includes our motives. that worshiping god is not just about reward and life (though they are important) but also because we love god as an individual.

a second point is that god searches for such ones. god wants everyone to be saved but unfortunately not everyone cares about god's standards. God searches for those who try to meet his standards because they love him.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
miriam are you a JW or have you practiced with them before?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

miriam are you a JW or have you practiced with them before?

very very long story. i can u2u to you (thats sounds weird) if you'd like.

but the short version. no, im not a JW. although i have studied with one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join