It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama effigy hanged in Jimmy Carter's home town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The US Secret Service says it is investigating after an effigy of Barack Obama was found hanging in the home town of former President Jimmy Carter.

TV footage showed the doll hanging by a noose in front of a red, white and blue sign that reads "Plains, Georgia. Home of Jimmy Carter, our 39th President".

Witnesses said the effigy had President Obama's name on it

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

I cant really say this suprises me much, this man does seem to stir up quite a lot of hate in the U.S. Its fine to have your say, freedom of speech and all that, bit cowardly to use the cover of darkness though.
Hell it was a regurlar sight to see Bush effigies during his term.
I would think this is not just some disgruntled Carter fan, more likely an organised group of which there are many.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
There have been effigies done for decades all over the place and many of them of foreign leaders as well as presidents...

I soo nothing to big of all of it...other than a possible way to incite people and that way the MSM can cry and scream that it is all the fringe radicals... and you know what direction that is going to point and what people will get targeted..whether they did it or not...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Exactly that, i mean did the Secret service investigate every effigy made of Bush at the hundreds of protests?
Sure this one was done in a more covert way, but is it an attempt by the MSM to divide people even more, if not they are doing a good job at it.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I see both sides of this. Sure, many laughed and many were offended while Bush was hanged and burned in effigy.

And because of Obama's race, it certainly can be interpreted as a much more personal and racial message. And yes, the MSM will be ALL over that!

It's kind of like a effigy of Joe Lieberman in a cremation oven... It sends a deeper and more personal message.

I doubt Obama will think twice about it, though. He's stood up to some pretty harsh criticism and not taken it personally.

It's hard to say if the cowards who did this meant to send a racial message. And at this point, I don't think it matters. Presidents and other leaders have to deal with this sort of thing all the time.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
We are limited in ways to reach out and express anything..Therefore creative and innovative means are always necessary. There is a fine tradition of graffiti artists who understand that a well placed piece of graffiti can reach millions and use artistic or poetic ability for this purpose.

Therefore may I suggest this sculpture is only another form of political graffiti and very artistic
Long live freedom of expression

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by crowkey
We are limited in ways to reach out and express anything..Therefore creative and innovative means are always necessary. There is a fine tradition of graffiti artists who understand that a well placed piece of graffiti can reach millions and use artistic or poetic ability for this purpose.

Therefore may I suggest this sculpture is only another form of political graffiti and very artistic
Long live freedom of expression

While I agree with you, I am certain that this could be called a crime in today's environment!! If someone were caught in the process of doing this, they would surely be in for a few months of "interogation"!!

It is art, and it is protest, and it is freedom of speech, but the annointed one is off limits, and Bush inadvertantly made it this way with his Patriot Acts!!

I dare anyone to take credit for this "Art" and let us all see what happens to them! Calling all Constitutional Martyrs, please accept responsibility for this effigy, so that the Constitution may live!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
[edit on 4-1-2010 by IandEye]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Thats so stupid that people do this they have all this hate and blame Obama i disagree with about everything hes done but people are so stupid and dont get the whole picture that theres more than it being Obamas fault its the whole damn governments fault they should have put one up for the whole panel of congress minus Paul and Kucinich

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

While I agree with you, I am certain that this could be called a crime in today's environment!! If someone were caught in the process of doing this, they would surely be in for a few months of "interogation"!!

It is art, and it is protest, and it is freedom of speech, but the annointed one is off limits, and Bush inadvertantly made it this way with his Patriot Acts!!

I dare anyone to take credit for this "Art" and let us all see what happens to them! Calling all Constitutional Martyrs, please accept responsibility for this effigy, so that the Constitution may live!
This is what makes Obama so troubling politicians have always been attacked and rightly slagged into the ground.. Spitting Image was merciless to Thatcher on English telly for years,with their grotesque puppet effigies.. So whats with Obama is he the new Hitler or what !

top topics

join