It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary Monsters....Need your help!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by digigeek

Aren't you a little bit hard?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Tell him if it is dark nothing can see him either.if he's quiet nothing can hear him either.If he washes up nothing can smell him.

there are monsters out there,don't lie to him.they are just in a form his mind cant grasp yet.

show him how to secure his room and explain they won't be able to get in it silently.

see... nothing to be afraid of,except for super aids.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
i just thought i`d post a personal experience that freeked my parents out and is related but slightly off topic with the monsters.
when i was around the age of 4, i revealed to my parents that after they tucked me in at night leaving the light on because i was scared of the dark.a little old man would sit at the end of my bed and talk me too sleep,which my parents at first thought i had an imaginary friend,until one day a few years later the familly was looking through photo albums and as they turned the page to an old black and white photo of my dad`s grandad who died many years before i was born,i immediatley pointed out in the photo that the little old man who talked to me was him

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My 7 year old daughter went through a phase like you describe at roughly the same age as your son. I went out and got a nicely scented room freshner, used my computer to make a label for it - Monster B Gone is what I used with a cartoon graphic of a woman spraying a can and a monster (I used a yeti) running from the spray. Every night before she went to bed, after our song and night blessing, I'd spray the room freshner around so that the monsters would leave her room. I explained that monsters don't like nice scents (well, they are monsters after all) and won't stay where it smells good. After a couple of months I had tapered off to spraying maybe once or twice a week, then after about 4 months, my daughter told me that the monsters had left for good.

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary of course.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Is it possible that the poor kid is being abducted? From everything I've ever read on abductions, it all starts in infancy and is carried out throughout someone's lifetime. He could be only "consciously" remembering the last few seconds of an abduction where the beings are seen leaving and thus he is seeing monsters.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I have no kids... yet. Getting married in 5 months and because of that I have already put almost all my books inside inside boxes to move my stuff to my new apartment. sadly, the book I wanted to search an information for you is already inside one of those boxes. It´s a book about the study of Shadows. It seems kids have a hard time understanding shadows and I wanted to remember when kids finally learn to understand what a shadow really is. I remember the age shown in the book startled me because I thought kids would understand shadows quite early, but at least that book seemed to show otherwise.

So, maybe the monters are nothing but shadows. As for what to do to make them deal with the monsters, I don't think i should dare give any ideas that could be better than the ones given by the parents in this thread. Will keep notes of the awsome ideas.

For what´s worth, i really liked:

-The Guardian
-The Monster Spray

The two seem like good ideas for imaginary monsters. Something that is totally in the kids minds.

-And LordBucket´s aproach of talking to the kid about the monster seem like a great idea when the kid is just afraid of something in the room that she doesnt understand. Instead of ignoring and telling the kid tehre is nothing there, maybe it would be better to acknowledge the kid is seeing something. Maybe the kid is misunderstanding its surroundings and by asking where the monster is the kid could learn that her mind is playing tricks on her. What she thought to be a monster was actually something else. Just an object in the room that look strange under a different light, or maybe just a shadow.

Hope you find a solution to the situation!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Is it possible that the poor kid is being abducted?
reply to post by RamsOnTop

Oh my gosh, that better not be the case!

I don't know whether I believe the alien abduction bit....I'm fairly skeptical, but I do have an open mind. How could I go about making sure that aliens or ghosts or obnoxious neighbors aren't bothering him?

I know that sounded a little sarcastic, but it is a serious question. I don't know anyone who's claimed to be abducted, maybe someone on here can help. Should I try sleeping in his room to see what happens, or would I even notice?

I will say this, if aliens are coming near my son its gonna be.....bad. For the aliens, I mean.
(they don't have a vicious smiley, but that's how I feel).

On a side note, I wondered how long it would take someone to venture forth this theory!

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I would definitely speak to him more on the subject. On a nice sunny day in another room, ask him to draw the monster and talk about it. Might give you some clues. If you think something may be really happening, install a nanny cam or baby monitor in his room so that you can hear anything that may be going on. He might find it comforting that you can always hear him.

Other ideas:
-The Rumpleskilton effect. Have him name the monster, and explain that names have power and as a human in a human world, ordering the monster to leave will work.
-Love the monster spray, but why not use sage instead? It has a long tradition of cleansing and protecting effects. You can add salt water that you both "bless" (or you could even gather his favorite adults over for a monster cleaning), and sprinkle around the room and closet to spiritually cleanse and protect the room for him alone. Have everyone present strongly project their protection and love for him at all times. Pay special attention to where the monster gains entry into his room and "seal" it. Maybe putting a cartoon action hero sticker over the threshold for good measure.
-How about a special flashlight? One with a bit of weight to it in a color he likes, both a weapon and source of light, if he is old enough to use one.

As for my own monster issues as I child, I had an under the bed monster. If I let any part of my body lay off the bed, it would get eaten! So on my own, over several nights I stuck my arm out there envisioning all manner of horrors chewing it off. Was pretty darn scary for a kid, but I soon found out that nothing actually happened, not ever. And got myself over it. The other monster was actually patterns seen in the weird visual disturbances we get as the rods and cones deal with major changes in light quality. Once it seemed a human figure walked towards my bed, but all blinky like it gets in the gloom. Try and see if you can suss out if there is some real world basis and if this is just a misinterpretation.

Since the monster in the closet/under the bed is such a universal phenomenon, I wonder if it is a developmental step of some sort? An important moment when we first learn that we don't have to be ruled by fear and can gain control over our environment? Hmmm...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. There were some great ideas!

Update: Last night we did the monster spray (I used air freshner since its what was in the house). I also had him take me all through the house and show me the monsters. He would lead me to a room, only to discover they were gone.....we must have made five loops through the whole house before he agreed they were all outside.

I also gave him a little 'chant' to say when he feels scared. We practiced before bedtime, then I tucked him into bed. He fell asleep with no problems.

Then, about 2:10 am, he came running into our bedroom, screaming hysterically, and threw himself into the bed. It took me at least ten minutes to calm him down enough to talk....the poor kid was so upset he could hardly breathe. I didn't even try to get him back in his room, just held him until he calmed down and let him stay in our bed.

I've noticed when he wakes up like this, its ALWAYS between 2:00-2:15. Don't know why that's the case, kinda strange.

If anyone else has ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
That's interesting new information. So the monster's aren't there when he goes to bed? Now I wonder if he is having a recurring nightmare around that time. Could even be an appliance in the house that turns on at that time: sprinklers system, ice maker, heater, alarm system, etc, that he can't understand and labels as the sound of a monster. Or perhaps there is a car or truck whose route takes it past that lights up the room in some strange way? Have you slept in his room, or always take him into yours? I would think that a) showing him you can sleep in there could help, and b) if you can manage to stay up to that time, you might gain some valuable information on what is triggering his anxiety. If he is having nightmares, he might need a trip to a sleep clinic, but that's def. not my area of expertise.

You might also track it on a calendar. If it happens on a regular basis, it might be garbage men, or some other outside stimuli that triggers his fears. Another thought, has he been through something scary in the middle of the night? Fire, intruder, big family fight he may have witnessed, etc that he might have associated with that time? No judgements here, just trying to throw out some ideas.

Is there any other info you may have? Has he ever described it? How he knows the monster is there? What does he thinks it's intentions are? Has it ever touched him? Do his friends also have the same monster? When did he first realize it was there? Does it move throughout the house or stay in one room? Does it follow him to other locations (your room, grandma's house, etc). You might also try play therapy to try and get to the above information. Take two dolls and have him playact what happens. Classic child psych technique, just make sure he understands it's just play and have something good (yummy food, favorite movie, etc) ready on hand to distract him if he gets to upset.

Maybe reading "Where the wild things are" with him before bed might help him understand monsters in a new light? Or have him watch his favorite happy video just before bed to sort of set his psyche to a more relaxed position (as now he has conditioned himself to expect the experience, which may explain the timing. Many humans have excellent time senses, even early, as do animals). Or give him a necklace/talisman to wear that is protective? I have made some religo-spiritual suggestions, although I don't necessarily believe in their literal power. However, be it mystical or psychological effects they do sometimes work. So why not?

Best of luck! poor kid!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathTribble

Wow Deathtribble, that's a great post. Star for you!

To clarify a few things about the wake-up time. My husband and I also regularly wake up at the same time (2:00ish). This has been happening since before my son was born. At first we tried to figure out what caused it... we checked appliances, and house stuff but nothing fit the bill. We do have neighbors living close by who were frequently coming in all hours of the night, we chalked it up to that. However, those neighbors moved out about a year ago and the current house is vacant. The garbage pickup is between 10:15-10:30 am, too late in the day. His bedroom does not face the street, so I don't think reflecting car lights would be the problem. An interesting aside: my son's bedroom used to be my husband and my bedroom. We would still wake up at that time, but never could figure out why. Strangeness, I know.

My son does not have very good vocabulary skills, and is currently in speech therapy to help with his pronunciation. So when I ask him to describe the monsters, he tells me "They look like monsters." He doesn't, or can't, elaborate. This has hampered my attempts to get him to open up with me about what's happening. I know it frustrates him.

We've never had any traumatic night events, no house fires, no fights, nothing that I could possibly link to his waking up. I'll ask my husband and make sure he agrees with this, though, since that's just my perception.

I plan to sleep in his room tonight with him. We're going to put up his TeePee tent, get out the sleeping bags, and see what happens.

Thanks so much for you kind and caring suggestions!!!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
When I had my littlte "Eek mosters" phase, my dad gave me a cricket bat with a nail through it and said, "If you see one, make sure you don't see it again!" and before I went to bed he would say "Monsters! My son is armed! Scare him at your own peril!". I still belived there were monsters trying to eat me, but I wasn't scared of them any more.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks for the star! How could I not want to help a smiley girl!?

Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice would say. That's rough not being able to more directly communicate with him. I think having him draw it in a nonthreatening environment and play therapy might def. help get some more info (but do so in the morning, no reason to get him thinking about it near bedtime. You might even consider doing it in a park or some place away from home to avoid adding any new associations within the home itself). Of course, a child psychologist would also be invaluable in cracking this mystery, just so it's said. If this is common or causing him serious dread, I would strongly consider it. His speech therapist would prob. have some good referrals. Not b/c he is "crazy", but b/c they are experts in communicating w/ children and helping them learn to come to grips w/ the world. It's a monumental task, when you think about it.

A few more questions that might help make a connection for you.

Have you asked him what a monster actually is? Adults have our own understanding of the word, but he might have an entirely different definition from yours. Might also ask him if he has ever seen one on TV (or anywhere else), just to help identify what we are dealing w/. I think it's vital to suss out the nature of the beast (so to speak), to be able to figure out the best response. Where he thinks it comes from, how it gets into the room, what it does when it gets there, etc. Drawing his answers and pointing out where it is in his room might help.

If you can, do you remember the first time it happened? What he said, what may have come just before? As weird as it is, this may even be a food allergy. Some allergies can produce marked psychological effects, esp. in children. Keeping a journal of what he eats , his mood prior to bed, and his daily activities to the best of your knowledge and noting when he has these episodes could also shed some light on any patterns you may be missing right now. Could even be a TV show that triggers it somehow. About how often does this occur? Weekly? Monthly, totally at random? After seeing a certain person, maybe before or after going to the speech therapist? Separation anxiety from daycare or babysitting? It might even be associated w/ seeing a family member or something "scary" (to him) at their house (like a statue of some sort or the picture on a book). Just trying to build up some sort of database from which you can work...

As for you all waking up around that time, that is intriguing. Did this start prior to moving in to your current home/his room? Does it still happen in your new room? Does it happen when you are away from home? You said that it happens to both you & your husband, yes? Does it usually happen to you both at the same time (which would suggest something external)? Are you aware of being awakened prior to him bursting in your room, or does he wake you up most times? Is there a history of any kind of sleep disorders on either side of your families? Did either you or your husband have your own monster issues as a child?

Try and stay awake tonight past 2 if you can. I would be very interested to hear what happens. If he has very restless sleep, if you see or hear anything in the room, how light streams through the window, etc.

BTW, I don't really believe the alien abduction stuff myself, but I can't know for sure it isn't real so I can't categorically deny the possibility. But, assuming it does exist, I doubt that it is "they", as they would not allow him to come running into your room after making their appearance. Not really their M.O!

Best of luck! Tell him the internet is pulling for him!

[edit on 1/5/2010 by DeathTribble]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Most nights, he runs into our room screaming in panic about 'monsters' and crawls into bed with us.

Read how Susan deals with such monsters in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Most nights, he runs into our room screaming in panic about 'monsters' and crawls into bed with us.

Read how Susan deals with such monsters in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

hehe great books.

Im loving the monster spray idea. I just told my niece its not the monsters you have to worry about its the killer clowns in the attic that should scare her. I never really.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Some real world advice...

What is happening to your child, is that your child can actually see things that most adults do not see. Your child can see deceased people (ghosts), demons, angels, fairies, goblins etc etc.

Telling your child that they do not exist- while beneficial in helping your child get back to sleep- actually closes their third eye preventing them from tapping into their intuitive "powers" when they are older.

What you should do- is explain to your child that while they can see some scary things- there are special Angels from God that will come to them- right away when they specifically ask for help. And these angels will protect your child and get rid of the monsters. Angels will come when your child asks for them. Use Archangel Michael- he is feared by all lower astral entities.

This is the only true way you can solve this problem. Good luck!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
Some real world advice...

Telling your child that they do not exist- while beneficial in helping your child get back to sleep- actually closes their third eye preventing them from tapping into their intuitive "powers" when they are older.

I agree; yet strongly focusing on their existence may not be the thing to do, making them think too much about it, drawing negativity.

What you should do- is explain to your child that while they can see some scary things- there are special Angels from God that will come to them- right away when they specifically ask for help. And these angels will protect your child and get rid of the monsters. Angels will come when your child asks for them. Use Archangel Michael- he is feared by all lower astral entities.

This is the only true way you can solve this problem. Good luck!

I had some very real and terrifying encounters with negative entities when I was a child, and even in my adult life. I learned to use the name of Jesus Christ in nightmares and physical encounters; after I learned, "who" He is..

I have learned to stand on His name, "how He feels" literally; not figuratively.

It truly has worked. I still think the monster spray is so cute.. But if he is seeing something, what better than a real hero over bad things that's allways watching to handle it?

This thread has truly touched my heart; and to think, I was going to leave ATS forever. OP your sincerity is so touching! I aM moved to pray for your child..

Edit to add: Keep him away from those counselors that want nothing more than to use your child to support big pharma. Judging from what I'm hearing, there's nothing, "wrong" with, "your" child..

Gods' speed..

[edit on 7-1-2010 by noconsequence]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by noconsequence

Just FYI, only MD's can prescribe anything. Therapist's and counselors couldn't prescribe medications if their lives depended on it. And there are many psychological professionals whose practice includes the mystical and spiritual. There is an entire, accredited program at JFK university in psychology based on the lens of spirituality. I am sure there are many others out there. The two are definitely not mutually exclusive.

Also, there is nothing unusual here accept so far as it is interfering with this child's happiness. This is not a case where he needs psychotropics, what he seems to need is help communicating the experience and learning to understand what may be happening (whatever that may end up being). I certainly don't deny the fact that he could be seeing something otherworldly and outside "objective" reality, which is why many of my suggestions included classic spiritual responses (sage, house blessings, etc). My personal bias is to systemically go through all the more obvious, "real world" (for lack of a better term) possibilities, before opening the door to more esoteric ones. Esp. as I know for a fact that at least in my case, many things I interpreted as a monsters/ghosts were misinterpreted reality.

Just felt the need to address the idea that all therapists just want to drug everybody they meet. Not even close to the truth, although w/ all therapists, your millage may vary. Shopping for the right therapeutic fit is critical in making the process work.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
You might want to take a look at this interesting ATS thread from a short while ago:

Something Under My Bed.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by noconsequence

This thread has truly touched my heart; and to think, I was going to leave ATS forever. OP your sincerity is so touching! I aM moved to pray for your child..

Glad to know you'll be sticking around! We need the good 'uns!

And thanks for the reply and the advice. I've talked to my son about religon, but I'm not sure how much he 'gets' since he's only 3...

[edit on 7-1-2010 by smyleegrl]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join