It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calculating the Spiral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The magnificent spirals that illuminated the early morning Norwegian skies lasted only a few minutes, but their appearance continues to captivate the minds of people worldwide. The internet is inundated with pictures and eyewitness video accounts of the event. The Russian Ministry of Defense immediately claimed no mystery behind the December 9, 2009 phenomenon, citing a failed launching of submarine ballistic missiles as the cause. Despite this assertion, global skepticism reigns and theories run rampant.

Arash Amini is an undergraduate Physics major at the University of Illinois-Chicago. His mathematics paper, “On the Norway Spirals and Their Physically Impossible 'Ripple' Propagation” serves to debunk the assertion made by the Russian Ministry of Defense. Amini uses time lapsed photography, video footage, and basic trigonometry to attempt to prove the Norway Spiral could not have been caused by a failed submarine launched missile.

The time lapsed photograph shows the two spirals as they appeared above the mountains of Tromso, Norway. The perfectly formed ripples indicate the spirals must have stemmed from a force with regular frequency. Video footage shows the ripples moving away from the center of the spiral, the rotation count per second yields the frequency of the ripples. Utilizing Google Earth, the location of the mountain in relation to Tromso and the center of the White Sea is found and shows comparable mathematical symmetry of the time lapsed photograph.

the rest

I never believed that missile story.
I hope you enjoy.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I have posted this theory weeks ago in one of the existing spiral threads ! It got laughed at but do I care ?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
I never believed that missile story.

Your intellectual inabilities are not proof of anything you are able to believe.

Re "Arash Amini is an undergraduate Physics major at the University of Illinois-Chicago."
... I looked over the paper and it's a sad mish-mash of unwarranted assumptions and ignorance of basic facts of the universe. Equation [10] for example assumes the Earth is flat. Another step assumes that the atmosphere of the earth extends upwards unthinned, indefinitely. If this person is a physics student, I would strongly urge a change in majors, to take up metaphysics instead, perhaps, where being nonsensical doesn't do any harm, or cost much money.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Be that as it may I still do not believe the missile story,as I have stated on many other threads.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

On the Norway Spirals and their Physically Impossible “Ripple” Propagation
Arash Amini
12/18/09
amini.arash1@gmail.com

On the morning of December 9th, reports of strange, spinning spirals
flooded the internet and media outlets. They have come to be known as the “Norway Spirals”. Though popularly attributed to a failed test-launch of a Russian “RSM-56 Bulava” Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM), it can be shown with some basic trigonometry that this explanation is physically impossible. ….

Amini’s paper has been updated here:
docs.google.com...

it now reflects input from the hoagland study [www.enterprisemission.com...] on the geometry of the spiral [the connection with the missile is solid], a study that I reluctantly cited because, while I find it accurate in its specific assertions, I remain suspicious it's an intro to something weird soon to come. I know Richard too well.

Hoagland had one question we've now (at ats) found the answer to -- why the spiral was only observed in the NW Norway (Tromso region) area. Weather satellite images show clearly that the rest of the region was overcast that morning, and as you move eastwards, you move into sunrise and bright skies that would mask any such visual cues. But I'm still curious about what aircraft pilots or passengers in NW Russia and Finland might have been able to see.

I was always reluctant to connect the spiral's formation to the official claim of the third stage malfunction, since spirals have been reported and drawn by witnesses in the past (hand-held camcorders weren't all that common in the 1980s, you have to admit). So I suggested that the spiral was a 'feature', not a 'bug', of some missile operation [I do not dispute the claim the third stage failed, just that the failure was the instigator of the spiral formation].

Discussion at an arms control wonk website suggests that for solid fuel rockets, which cannot be shut off in flight, excess thrust can be 'dumped' through opening side ports along the stage and thrusting sideways. Rolling the stage evens out any course disturbances. A spiral, even a double spiral (when there are two opposite-facing thrust dump ports), is the result under rare solar illumination conditions.

Was this launch a candidate for 'thrust dumping'? Yes, since if you measure the programmed range from launch to Kamchatka, you see it is a LOT shorter than the claimed maximum range. The solid-fuel rocket stages have a pre-loaded amount of total thrust due to their construction, and for shorter-than-maximum test missions, some of that thrust has to be dumped at the end of ascent.

This inquiry continues -- but underscores a point I've stressed for years, that 'UFO reports' from the USSR and neighboring countries have contained highly-sensitive performance clues to their space and missile weapons system performance and test results. Of course the CIA had BETTER be interested in such reports -- since the 'UFO' identification is a camouflage for technical intelligence data on Soviet (and now Russian) nuclear weapons.

As for Amini's math, it still is pathetic (I majored in math in undergraduate and graduate studies, so my eyes don't 'glaze over' with awe when somebody's pulling a snow job), and he needs a long heart-to-heart with his college career counselor if the report is typical of his physics capabilities.

new topics

top topics

join