It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
So your saying this could be a Yellowstone like explosion?

not that big no. but big enough to cause high levels of damge to large parts of iceland .

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Actually if Iceland had a caldera forming eruption it could make Yellowstone look like a toy. The magma plume under Iceland is 150km wide and extends down to 400km - or more - deep. Fortunately it does not go in for that sort of thing (we hope)

Link to icelandic helicorders

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

Originally posted by Phlynx
So your saying this could be a Yellowstone like explosion?

not that big no. but big enough to cause high levels of damge to large parts of iceland .

Would it be the size of the Mesa Falls ash bed on the image? That's what I am assuming it will be to be able to effect the atmosphere that much. Jet stream would also be a problem, depending on how it is if the calderas in Iceland blow.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Volcanic Activity, Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Earth Changes can be expected.

Be Aware of the Coming Earth Changes!

Evidence & Facts!
www.ec2011.com...
www.poleshift2011.com...
Best Wishes!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
You can monitor Katla's webcam here:

www.ruv.is...

EDIT: Since dawn broke I have been unable to get a pic on Katla webcam.. anyone else?

[edit on 23-3-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
From John Search

Tuesday 23rd March 2010
Eyjafjoll volcano, Iceland
Eruptions continue at Eyjafjoll (Eyjafjallajökull) volcano in Iceland. 500 people have been evacuated from near the volcano. The eruptions at the volcano began on the evening of 20-21 March with Hawaiian style activity, at a 500 m long NE-SW fissure. The eruptions were on the NE flank of the volcano at an elevation of 1000 m. There were small ash emissions and a lava flow. The eruption occurred on a 2 km wide area of ice-free land between Eyjafjallajökull and neighboring Katla volcano. Eyjafjöll has been much less active than neighboring volcanoes. Since 1600's there have only been three eruptions at Eyjafjoll, while nearby Katla had 20 eruptions.

There is an update on This site.
A portion of which reads: The eruption broke out with fire fountains and Hawaiian eruptive style on about 500 m long NE-SW oriented eruptive fissure on the northeast shoulder of the volcano at an elevation of about 1000 m. It was observed from air from 0400-0700 hrs on March 21st. Lava flows short distance from the eruptive site, and minor eruption plume at elevation less than 1 km was deflected by wind to the west. Volcanic explosive index (VEI) is 1 or less. Tephra fall is minor or insignificant. The eruption occurs just outside the ice cap of Eyjafjallajökull, and no ice melting is occurring at present.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I am not familiar with how to read helicorders, but the Hekla chart seems a bit busy.
www.simnet.is...
Can anyone explain this to me? Much appreciated!!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

I am not use to reading this Hilicorder so, I do not know what it typically looks like. But, if I were to use my knowledge from others, it would appear to me that we have many Micro Quakes and Volcanic Tremor happening.

I am in the process of crash coursing Iceland. I am trying to locate better seismo's for the area to get a better look.

Puterman, can you, I mean would you put this to sound for us?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thanks, I'm glad it's not just me.
I am a bit worried about the other erupting. The last time it did, it really reeked havoc on the globe. I find this and the whole 2012 thing a bit disturbing.

Yes, Puterman, could you please? Those are so cool to listen to.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Can anybody tell me where to find information regarding estimates of yearly/monthly total of the mass of volcanic ash/gasses plume globaly?
I am wondering what is average, and how much does it take to have a major effect on global weather?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

I am afraid that the only seismo available in the IRIS networks is BORG in the II net and that is quite some way from the eruption - and is not showing anything - so the simple answer is no I can't produce a sound file unless I can get a different recorder. I will have a look around however and see what I can find.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
You can monitor Katla's webcam here:

www.ruv.is...

EDIT: Since dawn broke I have been unable to get a pic on Katla webcam.. anyone else?

[edit on 23-3-2010 by MoorfNZ]

I did post this information earlier I think, but here goes. In this post earlier in the thread you have the links to Hekla and Katla cams. You will not see anything on the Katla cam (unless she blows
) as Katla is next to Eyjafjallajökull and the Katla cam points almost North. (336 degrees actually)

The Hekla cam however points south. but there is a mountain in the way. You can however see the light of the eruption in the sky.

This however is the Eyjafjallajökull web-cam I think, but I was out today so still have not seen this one in daylight.

Actually the Hekla cam is showing the ash fallout as far as I can see. Need to take a look at that in the daylight.

[edit on 23/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Cheers, yes I'm watching Katla - even though no action... yet

It's back on but dark there now... but was defo down overnight

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Puterman and Morfnz, my cam buddies

Eyjafjallajökull cam is a still, ya gotta reload

I get in the middle of the night so I can see these cams in daylight

I like how Katla cam shows different views

Hekla cam, when I first started watching it showed a silo type building which I found rather intriguing, cam has since moved further to the right.

Monitering all three cams at the moment.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Good morning

Here's a good web cam of Eyjafjallajökull frá Hvolsvelli
I even saw a helicopter fly by about 10 minutes ago.

mila.is...

Here's tremor graphs for all of Iceland

hraun.vedur.is...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Good morning

Here's a good web cam of Eyjafjallajökull frá Hvolsvelli
I even saw a helicopter fly by about 10 minutes ago.

mila.is...

Here's tremor graphs for all of Iceland

hraun.vedur.is...

awesome addictions to the thread .

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here you go folks another two new web cams - both on the same page

Link to cams

Looks like the one above is incorporated in the link I gave.

[edit on 24/3/2010 by PuterMan]

Yes just checked them out. You can get to both of these individually from the link above, or view them both on the same page from my link.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Is another Chilean volcano awakening? Melimoyu volcano in the Aysén region of southern Chile, a glaciated stratovolcano with a summit elevation of 2400 m and a distinctive horned profile, has been making some seismic noise over the past few days. Chile’s state geological service SERNAGEOMIN reported on 20 March that three earthquakes, two of magnitude 3.3 and one of magnitude 5.0, were detected on 17 March beneath Melimoyu. The earthquakes, which have been felt by people in towns near the volcano, continued at a lower level on 18 March.

Link to source

This one should definitely be watched.

These are the last two quakes I have in the 'catchment area' for Melimoyu. I believe we did mention this when these went of.

Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
18/03/2010 09:32:24,-43.7227,-72.5781,5.20,10.00,Los Lagos. Chile
17/03/2010 17:38:37,-43.9019,-72.6746,5.20,35.00,Aisen. Chile

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Okay, this is scary. Just how big would the potential erruption for this one be? Mags that high beneath any volcano is a definate wake-up call!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by PuterMan

Okay, this is scary. Just how big would the potential erruption for this one be? Mags that high beneath any volcano is a definate wake-up call!

To be honest I really don't know but the info on it is as follows:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e4961ad4bc5.png[/atsimg]

And a strato volcano is defined as

A stratovolcano, sometimes called a composite volcano,[1] is a tall, conical volcano with many layers (strata) of hardened lava, tephra, and volcanic ash. Stratovolcanoes are characterized by a steep profile and periodic, explosive eruptions. The lava that flows from stratovolcanoes tends to be viscous; it cools and hardens before spreading far. The magma forming this lava is often felsic, having high-to-intermediate levels of silica (as in rhyolite, dacite, or andesite), with lesser amounts of less-viscous mafic magma. Stratovolcanoes are sometimes called "composite volcanoes" because of their composite layered structure built up from sequential outpourings of eruptive materials. They are among the most common types of volcanoes, in contrast to the less common shield volcanoes. A famous stratovolcano is Krakatoa, best known for the eruption in 1883.

Source

Note the reference to Krakatoa!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join