It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I like Chaiten too.

Here's my web cam link, todays weather, rainy and foggy
www.123-cam.com...://www2.sernageomin.cl/ovdas/ovdas7/webcam_chaiten.html

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
O M G

It's Hekla!

I thought that glacier name looked familiar.

I had recently done research on Hekla and told myself that I should keep watch on it. Well I didn't and look what happened.

www.latimes.com...

Seismo real time of iceland
en.vedur.is...

[edit on 21-3-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Things are heating up and there will definitely be much more volcanic activity occurring in the not too distant future.

2011 is a year to prepare for.

The Coming Earth Changes!

EVIDENCE & FACTS!
www.ec2011.com...
www.poleshift2011.com...

Best Wishes!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the March recent piccy of Chaiten Puterman.

As a novice two things strike me :

There is a distinct orangeyness in what i can only describe as the centre of the 'nipple ' area
- magma working its way up ?

The colour of the plume is definitely blue - is this normal ? other photos of active volcanoes seem to be white plumes.

Also, is this the volcano widely covered by MSM before christmas ? they were all camped out and waiting , and waiting and gave up !

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
www.theepochtimes.com...

celanders are now preparing for another, much more dangerous volcano eruptions at Mount Katla, which has been triggered each time Eyjafjallajokull was active in the past – in 920 A.D., in 1612 and in the 1820s. If Katla erupts, flooding and mudslides might follow it due to the glacier melting, volcano experts said. Iceland is one of the most geologically active areas in the world. Eruptions from its high concentration of active volcanoes have contributed one-third of the Earth's lava output in the last 500 years. The worst eruption during this period was in 1783 when the Laki volcano spewed out lava to 0.9 miles in height.

Looks like this might get ugly.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
www.icelandreview.com...

The airplane of the Coast Guard flew over the eruption early this morning according to ruv.is. Scientists and journalists were onboard to watch the eruption and the lava flow up close. For three hours the plane circled the area and Karl Sigurbjörnsson of RÚV filmed the accompanying video. The craters seem to be on a rift which is between 0.5 to 1.0 kilometers in length, from southwest to north east. Lave is flowing from the crack towards east, but the main flow is to the west. Smoke is visible and goes about one kilometer up into the air. At the moment the effects of the eruption are most local at the pace of origin, which is not below glacier, which reduces the danger greatly. The area is closed for traffic until further notice.

http.ruv.straumar.is...

Video of eruption in Iceland

[edit on 21-3-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
O M G

It's Hekla!

No it's Eyjafjallajokull, but Hekla is on alert as is Katla.

There is a real danger that all three could end up running at the same time. We are hoping the wind does not change since we are only 700 miles from it and will get the sulphur dioxide fallout.

Eyjafjallajokull

Hekla

Katla

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Good luck. I hope nothing happens.
And if it does...I hope it's insignificant.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

magma working its way up ?

Well you can see the glow in the web cam at night when it works so I have to assume that answer to that is yes.

The colour of the plume is definitely blue

Probably just the angle. Looks more grey to me, but certainly no different than is on the web cam.

Also, is this the volcano widely covered by MSM before christmas?

Possibly, but since I have not watched TV for over a year now I don't know for certain.

[edit on 21/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hekla decided to give a little show early this morning. Most likely a Phreatomagmatic event given the fact Hekla is Iceland's most active Stratovolcano.

www.ruv.is...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Hekla decided to give a little show early this morning. Most likely a Phreatomagmatic event given the fact Hekla is Iceland's most active Stratovolcano.

www.ruv.is...

I hope you are not being serious? If Hekla has erupted then Katla will almost certainly follow.

I don't fancy 3 going off in my back yard!

OMG you had me panicking!! That picture is Eyjafjallajokull

Overnight, the Eyjafjallajokull eruption in Iceland added to its oeuvre, producing what is being reported to be a 8-km plume. Images of the plume (above) suggest (to me) that it is very water-rich, so likely this is the expanding(?) fissure interacting with snow, ice or groundwater, producing steam explosions. These explosions have some minor ash component to them, mostly from the shattering of rapidly cooled lava, but are dominated by steam.

Source: Eruptions

I should be able to see that plume if the rain stops.

[edit on 22/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Originally posted by ROBL240

www.ruv.is...

I hope you are not being serious? If Hekla has erupted then Katla will almost certainly follow.

I don't fancy 3 going off in my back yard!

OMG you had me panicking!! That picture is Eyjafjallajokull

Overnight, the Eyjafjallajokull eruption in Iceland added to its oeuvre, producing what is being reported to be a 8-km plume. Images of the plume (above) suggest (to me) that it is very water-rich, so likely this is the expanding(?) fissure interacting with snow, ice or groundwater, producing steam explosions. These explosions have some minor ash component to them, mostly from the shattering of rapidly cooled lava, but are dominated by steam.

Source: Eruptions

I should be able to see that plume if the rain stops.

[edit on 22/3/2010 by PuterMan]

all of your addictions to the thread are great , thanks .
another area to keep a close eye on . and who knows we might get some ashfall here as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
LAKI LAKI LAKI the smoking gun!

Probably about to go in the short term, months? weeks?

I will cut and paste from another thread as its o important to this thread to, forget Chaitan and yellowstone look whats been cooking under the ice unnoticed!

And I forgot for a moment myself, Iceland is the ONLY place in the world where the Atlantic Ridge rises above the water line.

Documentary evidence suggests there may have been
significant human illness and morbidity in parishes in rural England in
the late eighteenth century. Demographic data for a number of rural
parishes in different environmental settings point to a singular peak in
burials taking place in 1783. The Laki Fissure eruption of 1783-84 and
the resultant atmospheric loading by gas and sub-PM10 aerosol, in
particular H2SO4 generated massive, but entirely natural air pollution.
In northwest Europe, the air pollution was manifested as a persistent,
foul-smelling dry fog and various forms of acid-damage to crops, trees
and water-bodies and a consistent range of human health problems.
These link the presence of the dry fog with headaches, eye irritation,
decreased lung function and asthma. The concept that intense
anthropogenic air pollution may cause respiratory illness and/or the
death of vulnerable sections of the population is familiar in modern
western societies. There is no reason to suggest that volcanic air
pollution may not have had a similar impact in the past. Mortality
patterns from widely separated English rural parishes suggest that a
crisis did occur during the summer of 1783 û awareness of physical
process and the circumstantial evidence suggests acid volcanic gases
may have been the key agent. Calculation of mortality indices from
available demographic data does suggest that death rates did increase
significantly at this time and mortality in the summer of 1783 is
classified as a ôcrisisö. In raw numbers over 10 000 more people died
at this time than would normally be expected û this is actually a 1000
more people than died in Iceland following the Laki fissure eruption.

PDF

And further as in the words of the USGS its better to live in Hawaii than by Laki!!

For eight months during the years 1783-1784, lava erupted from dozens of vents along a 27-km-long (17-mile-long) fissure system in the highlands of southern Iceland. Basaltic lava flows—just like the flows we see here in Hawai`i—poured south out of the mountains onto the coastal plains, burying 599 square km ( 231 square miles) in the process. The total volume of lava erupted in eight months is estimated at 15.1 cubic km (3.6 cubic miles). In comparison, Kīlauea's ongoing east rift zone eruption, approaching the end of its 26th year of activity, has produced only about 3.4 cubic km (0.8 cubic miles) of lava.

In addition to these enormous lava flows, eruptive episodes from the Laki fissure started with explosive eruptions that blanketed more than 8,000 square km (3,089 square miles) with volcanic ash and cinders. And if you think the vog here can be bad, Laki pumped out 122 million tons of sulfur dioxide in eight months. Compare this to Kīlauea's 0.85 million tons from February to September, 2008—less than one percent of Laki's output over the same length of time. Half of the livestock in Iceland died after eating grass contaminated with fluorine from the gas plume, and 20 percent of Iceland's population starved during the famine that followed. The sulfur dioxide released led to crop failures throughout Europe and may have led to, or exacerbated, other famines in the northern hemisphere that occurred at about the same time.
USGS

There was a very good docu on this, vaguely remember it but cant find whole one now, here is a clip:

More here from the lead researcher in this.

This was PAN Europe though not just the UK the following occurred in France!

In the doomsday nature of ATS this is the only one at the moment with real and likely, to happen, besides Iran.

The science shows when the current one erupts,Katla always follows!!!!

Same type of volcano, Glacier on top.

worrying.

This is worth keeping a very very close eye on.

Thread Here: ATS Thread Icelands Eruptions Global Consequences

Elf

[edit on 22-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Assuming this isn't an if but when scenario, when is the big one in Iceland likely to erupt time wise? Will it be in a day, a week, or what? I think someone may have said this, but I would really like to know.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

From: "Volcano erupts near Eyjafjallajoekull in south Iceland"

Originally posted by segurelha
I was in this area of Iceland last summer.

It's incredibly beautiful and "out of this world" landscape.
It is like being on Mars or on the Moon.

There are many volcanoes there, lined up along the geological division of the plates, such as Hekla, Katla, Laki, Grimsvotn. This one (Eyjafjallajoekull) is also a stratosvolcano, covered by ice, and is located between the mighty Hekla and the powerful Katla (which has the largest caldera, 9 x 14 km wide). All are quite far from Reykjavik. And due to west winds, the ash is carried away from the capital (but can go to Europe)

The area is very very beautiful called Thorsmork. It has amazing valleys carved by flooding caused by former euptions (namely from Katla). But the are stays in the middle of 3 volcanoes, Eyjafjallajoekull is one of them, and Katla is the most dangerous one (last eruption was in 1918).

Last eruption of this one ( Eyjafjallajoekull) was in 1820s.

Of more concern is the fact that Hekla has been showing signs of an eminent eruption. And it is nearby, about 50km away. It does every 10 years, last time was 2000, so we are due to next one. Hekla had eruptions in the past that ranked amongst the highest ones in the past 10000 years. And Katla, is connected to the other Grimsvotn, Eldja and Laki volcanoes: this system has also produced some of largest Holocene eruptions. All volcanoes are nearby.

Close to Hekla is also Landmannalaugar, an amazing colorful place with many volcanoes within a rim of mountains, which is really a 10 x 12km-wide large caldera (much smaller compared to the 50km wide supervolcanoes calderas). But it's worth to go there.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by segurelha]

[edit on 3/22/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Could someone with the Timewave program check the date 1784 and see what it looks like compared to the next few months? This was around the time of the French Revolution, but it was also the time of a giant freeze over possibly due to a volcano in Iceland, and there are precursors showing that this volcano may blow again.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Read some of these if you are unsure what to look for and what exact date to look for. I think something like this would be a pretty big spike on the chart considering the last eruption caused poisonous gas to go over the British Isles causing crop shortages and other bad stuff.

If you are able to see similarities, post it up.

I posted this up on the Timewave thread to see if the people with the program may come up with any similarities. If you want to keep up with it, use the link above.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

The Laki Iceland event is one of the drivers of the french revolution, famine engulfed the land with deadly fumes.

It dried up the Nile river nearly.

It is the event you are talking about that caused famine.

Katla the one which looks like it will go, and to reply to another poster (wait for link I have so many tabs and docs open) Katla usually goes 2-3 yrs or less after the current one.

However recent activity in 09 close to the border between the two systems volcanos, shows maybe the two are now linked in some way or starting to mix, to create one big chamber. Which is even worse.

I have more info Here: Iceland Eruptions Could have Global Consequences

Ive posted the NASA modelling and research of these events. Katla could go the same way, as the ash and gas goes higher into the atmosphere than usual eruptions. It seems from what I have found out over the last couple of hours that ONLY supervolcanoes, like yellowstone and the Icelandic events have actually ever done this. Stand to be corrected though.

Due also to the closeness to the Jet Stream which comes close or over the UK, down past southern iceland its effects are very pronounced, worldwide.

We already are going to have an El Nino year anyhow.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
An 3.4 very very shallow earthquake no depth has just hit 1.6 km away from a known subglacial volcano on another part of the Island to Volcano Eyjafjallajökul

EQ-20100322-170621-IS Common Alerting Protocol
Magnitude: 3.4
Mercalli scale: 1
Date-Time [UTC]: 22 March, 2010 at 01:39:26 UTC
Local Date/Time: Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 01:39 at night at epicenter
Depth: 0 km (0.00 miles)
Region: Europe
Distances: 81.00 km (50.33 miles) of Kirkjubajarklaustur,

RSOE

and further:

Iceland-NE Loki-FĂśgrufjĂśll Subglacial volcano distance 1.64 km

Much more worrying for me is that with all the Yellowstone obsession, and doom posters no one is taking this seriosuly.

There is currently a 30km wide Caldera displaying earthquake swarms, is the only exposed part of the massively active and spreading atlantic ridge. These volcanos seem to merged under this caldera and there is like 30km of solid ice on top. Not good at all. It is active now and much more than other calderas worldwide.

In volcanic danger and of this type of volcanoe as the Nasa links show is huge. You have worldwide mega events like Yellowstone going ballistic. But then still massive events the second worst type volcanic event with icelandic volcanoes, and their ability with the ice caps to chuck huge amounts of material and water vapour to the top of our atmosphere.

Now another one is going!!!,

Another caldera that is under another ice cap in iceland!!

An earthquake swarm began under Eyjafjoll volcano in January 2010. There was a 40 mm inflation of the volcano. At the beginning of March 2010 over 3000 earthquakes were measured in a 24 hour period, with a maximum at magnitude 3.1. The last eruptions at Eyjafjoll volcano were in 1821-23. The subglacial Esjufjöll volcano at the SE part of the Vatnajökull icecap, north of Öraefajökull volcano, consists of the Snaehetta central volcano and a large caldera. Most of the volcano, including the 40 sq km caldera, is covered by the icecap, but parts of the SE flank are exposed in NW-SE-trending ridges. Most of the exposed rocks are mildly alkaline basalts, but small amounts of rhyolitic rocks are also present. A large jökulhlaup that came down the Jokulsa a Breidamerkursandi along the coast SE of Vatnajökull in the beginning of September 1927 was accompanied by a sulfur stench, and on one occasion, ash fall on the Breidamerkurjökull considered to have possibly originated from Esjufjöll. Although Holocene eruptions have not been confirmed from Esjufjöll, earthquake swarms that could indicate magma movements were detected in October, 2002.

RSOE

Elf

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
So your saying this could be a Yellowstone like explosion?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Not quite the same, a Yellowstone event would obviosuly be huge, but one of the Global effects besides local, is the change in weather.

This type of volcano sometimes in Iceland ie 27km2 of ice cap sits on top of a Caldera... well its does not take much imagination to understand that if it goes, and you try and imagine boiling 27km of Ice to steam by chucking it on an equally big exploding amount of hot gas, rocks, mountain, lava in a small space of time what the likely effect is!

Due to this and the particularly nasty even by volcanic standards the icelandic volcanoes exude, mixed with water get very very high into the atmosphere.

This changes climate globably.

Iceland is very close sometimes under the Jet Stream

Its not as big, and locally destroying, but just as nasty in its medium and far reaching ability to cause real catastrophe.

It would as in the history of Laki kill, lots, cool the earth and reduce winds, burn peoples skin etc.

Not nice at all.

Some of the volcanic floes on Iceland have been the biggest amount of Lava/Magama ever produced in recorded history!

Hope she stays quiet but the swarm concerns me elsewhere, and this one started with just a 2 quake, and 3.6 are occuring on another volcano today in iceland.

Hope she settles down soon.

Elf

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join