It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 54
<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Unreal!!! and live too, this is amazing!!!!

God help those people!!!!

Newer pic, with ejecta caught in it...

merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...
edit on 11-11-2010 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...
edit on 11-11-2010 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Ok the Geophysics Thread is up and running. I hope I can entice you regulars over there to contribute because you're all brilliant and we need your input.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Here is a good chart to keep track of Asian volcanos

ds.data.jma.go.jp...

Found it after reading this

Busy day of volcanic activity in SE and NE Asia, Tokyo VAAC reporting eruptions at Bulusan, Suwanosejima, Sakurajima and Sheveluch about 13 hours ago via TweetDeck

from James Reynolds Twitter page

and also spied a reply for a tweet from our freetree64 there

@freetree64 It's still pumping out ash to 25,000ft so that image looks like a mix of the ash plume and weather clouds. about 17 hours ago via TweetDeck in reply to freetree64

twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hey guys another volcano in Japan seems to be erupting.
Read all about it here, so far no major news yet.

rajaten.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by magestyk7

Google the volcano and a load of articles come up explaining how it's been erupting for many years quite consistently. So not sure this is anything out of the ordinary...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hi

Few pictures from the Merapi cams today. Last one just a few minutes ago showing a nice glow at the top.

Todays images and news Merapi

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebfe3046f9f7.jpg[/atsimg]

cam is working fine today!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I stand corrected. Thanks, for pointing that out.
Well if in time it really start rolling then it wont be ordinary i suppose.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I read this in our paper here in NZ, it said she fell "into the crater"

Climbers rescued from Ecuador volcano * From correspondents in Quito, Ecuador * From: AFP * November 12, 2010 12:29PM A French couple has been plucked from an Ecuadoran volcano by a police helicopter, after the woman fell inside the crater, the French Embassy says. The couple was rescued from the El Altar volcano, in central Ecuador, today thanks to a GPS device alarm that went off when the woman fell a few metres down the slope. The alarm signal was picked up by the French Foreign Ministry, the embassy said in a statement. A police helicopter that was on a rescue training mission in the area was dispatched to the stranded couple near the 5319m summit of the volcano.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by magestyk7

Sakurajima is one of the 16 volcanoes in the world that are considered to be in a state of continuous eruption.

They are
  • Ambryn
  • Arenal
  • Bezymianny
  • Erebus
  • Erta Ale
  • Karymsky
  • Kilauea
  • Ol Doinyo Lengai
  • Pacaya
  • Sakurajima
  • Sangay
  • Santa Maria
  • Semeru
  • Stromboli
  • Villarrica
  • Yasur

reply to post by cosmicpixie

Spot on!!

============================================
I do not wish to speak ill of anyone but I would thoroughly check anything you see on that ATS member's blog.

He is the Grimsvotn / Iceland Armageddon thread creator.
edit on 13/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Regarding Bulusan & Mt Mayon which is 70km away in the Phillipines:

“The two volcanoes are not physically connected and the reason why sometimes they erupt at the same time is that they are both active and erupt from time to time,”

“These volcanoes are not connected physically and (the eruption) is just coincidental,” Solidum said. “There is always the possibility that two volcanoes can erupt at the same time if both are active.”

Just in case anyone was interested.

Source

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
‘Three explosions’ heard from Mt. Anak Krakatau The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Sun, 11/14/2010 8:47 AM | Headlines

www.thejakartapost.com...

Hundred of Anyer villagers panicked after three big explosions were heard from Mount Anak Krakatau on early Sunday morning. ‘We are quite sure that the explosions came from Anak Krakatau. I heard those terrible sounds myself,” Cikoneng resident Mumut, said as quoted by Antara news agency. Another witness, Sarmidi, said the sound of explosions were very clear. “We were afraid that a tsunami might follow.”

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Amongst the doom and gloom I just happened across this one from 2005.

When is an erupting volcano not an erupting volcano?

I won't spoil your reading by telling you!!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Oh
that should get chicken little in a tizzy.

Wait for the rash of ATS threads. (You did not start one did you - I haven't looked
)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Well poo! Whoda thunk it?

bat guano is excellent fertilizer

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I made another late night video - just happened to catch the eruption!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Myabe someone on here can put my mind to rest. I have a rather vague recollection of reading something on ATS about either Toba or Tonga, where it said the lake had risen quite alot (500 ft IIRC which I probably don't) But I can't find anything at all on the web, or here. So I'm presuming I've got it all wrong, but I do remember reading it. Also posted this in the Merapi thread, prehaps it's better suited here.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

More recent activity Smaller eruptions have occurred at Toba since. The small cone of Pusukbukit has formed on the southwestern margin of the caldera and lava domes. The most recent eruption may have been at Tandukbenua on the northwestern caldera edge, since the present lack of vegetation could be due to an eruption within the last few hundred years.[17]

Some parts of the caldera have experienced uplift due to partial refilling of the magma chamber, for example pushing Samosir Island and the Uluan Peninsula above the surface of the lake. The lake sediments on Samosir Island show that it has been uplifted by at least 450 metres (1,476 ft)[9] since the cataclysmic eruption. Such uplifts are common in very large calderas, apparently due to the upward pressure of unerupted magma. Toba is probably the largest resurgent caldera on Earth. Large earthquakes have occurred in the vicinity of the volcano more recently, notably in 1987 along the southern shore of the lake at a depth of 11 km (6.8 mi).[18] Other earthquakes have occurred in the area in 1892, 1916, and 1920-1922.[9]

Source

Sorry for not being able to your mind at ease.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
well at least Iknow I'm not going mad

Thank you

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

oh - and - then there Sinabung volcano - which is on alert level 2 at the moment - which, sits only 25 miles from Toba - which is a whole other question on their relation.

Info on Sinabung

new topics

top topics

<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join