It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by murdonstaf

Slow down there friend,.
Yellowstone is doing nothing unusual.
the small quakes are common for this park.
If you begin to see a string of 6.0 and 7.0s
then be concerned.
No worries

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by murdonstaf

Welcome to ATS murdonstaf! Yes - Yellowstone has just encountered a micro swarm. Appears to be settling down now - but you never know what could happen next. We have a whole looooonnnnggggg Thread Here 636 pages dedicated to Yellowstone. Yes we follow it's every breath & twitch - come and join us there

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
News on Merapi
Apparantly slowing down.
Merapi news
What do you think? I am still picking up lots of activity.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
We have a new live webcam for Merapi - Here

Indonesian to English translation
For those of you who want to see the development of Mount Merapi By direct (live) can be via web cameras below. The camera was mounted + - 2 Kilometers from the mountain top trim. This page will refresh automatically every 15 seconds to show the final condition trim. To see the trim condition clearly requires a lot of sunlight so that the image would look if during the day and the weather is not cloudy

It's not stars - it's the camara and it is working now/for now
edit on 10-11-2010 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Nope, not working.

Stuck on o2:58:54

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Okay then try This New Streaming live webcam

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

wow, cool. good find Anmarie!

thanks!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thanks for that. The other two cameras

qvsdata.wordpress.com... here if you have lost the links, are not updating regularly but DELES has a good image on it right now.

Off to the land of nod

Leave you with these

www.boston.com...
edit on 10/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Herrrreeee comes Jonny -

Thursday 11th November 2010
Merapi Volcano, Indonesia
Eruptions continue at Merapi volcano, Indonesia. Reduced activity occurred today up to 6am. Thundering sounds were heard from the volcano and light ashfall was reported. Ash emissions rose 700 m above the summit. Pyroclastic flows descended K. Gendol to a distance of 3 km. Ash deposits are located in all valleys on Southeast, South, Southwest, West and North West sectors of the volcano. A 20 km radius exclusion zone remains in place. Hazards at the volcano include pyroclastic flows, ashfall, and lahars. Since Merapi began erupting at the end of October, 194 people have been killed and 360,000 evacuated. Merapi is at the highest level 4 alert.
More on Merapi volcano...
Volcanoes of Indonesia...

Thursday 11th November 2010
Bulusan Volcano, Philippines
A total of 17 volcanic earthquakes were detected at Bulusan volcano, Philippines during the past 24 hours. Yesterday the sulphur dioxide emission rate was average at 135 tonnes per day. Visual observations showed white steam rising 150 m above the crater and drifting ENE. Alert Level 1 remains at Bulusan Volcano. Areas within 4 km of the summit has been declared a Permanent Danger Zone which means that the public is advised not to venture inside this area. Residents are warned about the hazard of lahars. Due to the prevailing wind direction, residents located in the NW and SW sectors of the volcano are advised to take precautions against ashfalls. Ash emissions pose a hazard to aircraft.

Source

Hey - come out of hiding TA -

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Bit of minor EQ activity near Taupo, NZ this afternoon on an otherwise quiet 11th November quake wise (only 9 on the 10th UTC)
Ironically the swarm of minor/micro quakes was only 950 metres from the Wairakei Volcanic Activity Center and 1000 metres from GNS Science (Geonets daddy) Wairakei HQ

Reference, Latitude, Longitude, UTC Date /Time, Depth, Magnitude ML
3405425, -38.64394, 176.07622, 2010/11/10 22:38:26, 1, 1.686
3405479, -38.63382, 176.06801, 2010/11/11 0:45:47, 1, 2.218
3405611, -38.6283, 176.06714, 2010/11/11 0:50:54, 1, 2.104
3405612, -38.64143, 176.06833, 2010/11/11 0:51:30, 1, 2.355
3405486, -38.63504, 176.0536, 2010/11/11 0:55:34, 2, 1.921
3405546, -38.63902, 176.07748, 2010/11/11 3:25:39, 1, 2.425

Map
edit on 11-11-2010 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
This one's for you Anmarie....coming over from the quake watch site where this topic started, here is a plate tectonic article for you (it has graphs) that simplifies what was in the Smoot article. davidpratt.info...

edit on 11-11-2010 by zenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thanks indeed for that. This is epic. We are looking at the death of the
daft subduction theory!

I shall be singing and dancing for weeks and I have have no intention of letting this go. Like a terrier shaking a rat this has to be played out to the death!

One member of ATS has the signature:

IF SUBDUCTION DOESN’T EXIST....................EVERYTHING IN SCIENCE MUST CHANGE.

The bit in between refers to a growing Earth, but in principle the statement as above is correct. Bring it on. I never did like plate tectonics since they introduced this new-fangled idea in the 60s. It quite spoiled my Geology studies.

Liquid/Solid iron core is next on the list!!!

Edit: I see from the dates that established Geology obviously did not like this!
edit on 11/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I emailed a uni geology professor today to see if he knew of any more recent articles or studies. He'll probably say it a load of b.s. as scientists do, but I love to challenge them (won a disagreement on environmental economics with a prof once). I tried to argue that oil rigs and exploration drilling could increase seismicity once, but nah, didn't win that one (yet).

So is it ok with everyone to discuss plate tectonics & the core in this thread, or should we start a new general discussion for this....don't want to be off topic.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Surprisingly I have already received a reply from the geo prof. This is his reply (personal info omitted)

My view is that it is generally accepted by geoscientists that convection of some form occurs within the mantle, and this is responsible for the heat distribution observed in the Earth. Surge tectonics, on the other hand, disputes mantle convection. This is science at work, obviously, aiming to put forward hypotheses to explain as much of the observable evidence as possible. I would support the theory of Plate Tectonics, with mantle convection as the basic driving force. Other factors, such are ridge push and slab pull, may be involved. The proposition of alternative hypotheses such as surge tectonics is how science works, however most geoscientists would favour Plate Tectonics as the unifying theory of global tectonics. Continental drift remains valid, but explains only the movement of continents as they 'ride' on tectonic plates that have boundaries generally unrelated to continent shapes. In relation to theories of an expaning earth, I think there is no direct evidence - in fact, the most recent measurements would seem to show that the earth is contracting very slightly.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Damn now I'm off on another tangent...just found an article connecting surge tectonics with my other favourite subject: the weather. www.geostreamconsulting.com...
This is the sort of thing I meant when I was referring to atmospheric science in the quake thread.

(only 7 pages this one)
edit on 11-11-2010 by zenius because: can't spell

edit on 11-11-2010 by zenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

I tell you there is a bit of atmospheric science going on around here at present!

Stormy conditions will become widespread over Ireland later this morning and during the afternoon. Stormy conditions will continue this evening but will moderate from the west overnight. Gale force westerly winds will gust between 100 and 120 km/hr generally, but gusts of up to 140 km/hr are expected in exposed parts of Connacht and Ulster. These winds are likely to lead to some structural damage and will be accompanied by high seas on Atlantic coasts.

I estimate we are getting a continuous 60 mph (96 kph) blast at the moment. Still never mind - it is always is a bit breezy around here. You have difficulty standing up outside and the whole house is vibrating.

Anyway - back on topic - thanks for the link. I am finding all this very interesting, I said a long time ago that the weight of the column of air above the land - thousands of tons of it - must have an effect. I shall read that article with interest.

OK well what I was thinking was not quite right, but that made sense to me. Why should there not be fluid patterns in the mantle? We are expected to believe that continents 'float', so why should there not be currents as well?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius

So is it ok with everyone to discuss plate tectonics & the core in this thread, or should we start a new general discussion for this....don't want to be off topic.

I don't have a problem with that but it might be better in one place rather than interspersed with earthquake reports etc.

Up to you.

Oops - Edit: Just realised we are in the Volcano thread. Yes start a new thread and copy the relevant bits across.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
updated but stuck again

livemerapi.nphs.web.id...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7e51c57a57b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Ive got my had bag all ready to go

and a snowball for fun.
Merapi ,. is making a statement
edit on 11-11-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Here's another webcam view

merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f1725c6bd0f.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join