It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well something happened. I was pulling data from the webicoders now three are out and reading
We are sorry webicoder Pusunglondon station was not working, because the station hit by explosion
We are sorry webicoder Klatakan station was not working, because the stations affected by the eruption.
We are sorry webicoder pure-bred station was not working, because the stations affected by the eruption.
I did get foggy images from the new camera before I left work.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Archived Volcano News
Twitter @johnseach
RSS

Monday 8th November 2010
Merapi Volcano, Indonesia
Archived Volcano News
Twitter @johnseach
RSS

Monday 8th November 2010
Merapi Volcano, Indonesia
Merapi volcano, Indonesia remains at the highest RED level alert. Over the past day pyroclastic flows extended 4 km from the crater. Ash emissions rose to a height of 4 km today. Some residents have ignored warnings to stay out of the danger areas, and have returned to their land to feed animals. Eruptions have been high intensity, and have been occurring continually since 3rd November. This is the largest eruption of Merapi volcano in over 100 years. The death toll is 141, and 300,000 people have been evacuated. The safe area for evacuees continues to be a radius of 20 km from the crater. International flights to Jakarta returned to normal today. The sulphur dioxide cloud from eruption of Merapi volcano has reached the coast of western Australia. The SO2 cloud has reached an altitude of 50,000 ft over the Indian Ocean.

I am still trying to figure out how to cut and paste news from other sites here but this is the latest I have found on Merapi Volcano.

The thought has crossed my mind that we are getting sparce information about this eruption considering that it is supposedly THREE times bigger than Anak Krakatoa. I mean Merapi looks as though she is getting ready to really blow her top and we get next to nothing as far as eruption info.
edit on 8-11-2010 by BillRose because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Looks as if the Web Cam for Merapi is off line or stuck again.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
It appears the Merapi Web Cam is back up and running. Go figure. :-)

it is it is. but it is stuck. So nice to see it back tho.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
we have some tremor activity

www.pnsn.org...

Especially around Longview.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7b933d3a7a97.jpg[/atsimg]

just happened to refresh and catch this

www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...

edit to add, and it seems to be stuck on that for now.. at least we know there is someone there and we may see some images later
edit on 8-11-2010 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Um - what's that on the web cam - human figure - be carefule dude - they are working on it :-) - can't screen shot on this computer - your turn bk girl!

:-) you are so on it !!!! Love Ya
edit on 8-11-2010 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

no need to screenshot, just right click and save image

and its still stuck there

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

As I said not on this computer - kids have it all messed up. any who - it's out again for the moment - They are working on it :-) - goes to show thought a few things They might want to get ontop of don't ya think

I have lots of info but can not post at this time.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
OK This Cam is the latest/new Cam for Merapi - we don't know at this one will show us - please keep trying old cam as well.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
There is a definite increase in activity over the past hour on the merapi webicorders. Looks to me like its building up to something.

See for your self.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
OK This Cam is the latest/new Cam for Merapi - we don't know at this one will show us - please keep trying old cam as well.

No that is the same one and is just as stuck pointing at the stars.

@BillRose - re pasting. Don't forget that you should only paste a small bit of an article and then link it. Don't want to see you getting warnings for T & C infringements, or worse still banned.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
There is a definite increase in activity over the past hour on the merapi webicorders. Looks to me like its building up to something.

See for your self.

Oh good they have that one working again. What you are seeing there is tremor. That is 'normal' under these circumstances. When it was working yesterday I was watching that increase/decrease at regular intervals.

Edit: Oh
It looks as if it has stopped at 12:32.

I have set this up in my program to grab it every 10 minutes but.........
edit on 9/11/2010 by PuterMan because: To add more information edit box. You see when us humans find out some more information we have this insane desire to communicate this to other humans who are of a like mind. Of course being an edit box you probably have no concept of this, but rest assured that this is all I am trying to do and not changing my post for any nefarious purposes. Thanks

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This is the latest I could find, really seems theres some people on edge right now..

Look to the bottom of this page for the latest.

Taken from above link.

18:46 Nangren reports light fumes along Kali Gendol. #merapi 149.07

18:47 Growling sounds detected from north flank. #merapi 149.07

18:49 Increasing signals for 45 seconds now. Amplitude near medium scale. Officers are advised to pay attention on north flank. #merapi 149

18:57 Officers at Nangsren has not detected trails of fumaroles. Light precipitation. #merapi 149.07

19:03 Fluctuating signals, intensity above medium (8 from 1 – 10 scale). #merapi 149.07

19:06 Ascending signals occasionally going over scale. Somewhat heavy rain over Sleman. #merapi 149.07

19:10 Detected over scale signals have lasted for 15 minutes. No signs of decreasing. #merapi 149.07

19:15 Detecting slight descends on signals back to point 8 (from 1 – 10 scale). Fluctuating. #merapi 149.07

19:21 Signals are sloping but occasionally rise up to point 8. #merapi 149.07

19:28 Dense sloping signals, light rainfalls. Residents along Merapi river banks should stay alert. #merapi 149.07

19:36 Lighter precipitation, calm wind. Dense fluctuating signals, near over scale. #merapi 149.07

19:40 Officers report bursting ash cloud. #merapi 149.07

Wish I could find where they are getting this what looks like live on the ground input.

edit on 9/11/2010 by who-me? because: fixed quote tags, why does it say quoted post? It isn't, its a quote from another page.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

The information is coming in off of twitter from the scientist/emergency personal in the area.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Those are twitter feeds. go to twitter and find #merapi

Could not see any seismo info on that link but really it is too big and full of tweets and other rubbish that does not interest me.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Here the latest from Erik Klemetti

Eruption Updates (11/9/2010) for Merapi and Bulusan
Erik Klemetti on November 9, 2010, 12:45 PM
A couple of updates on two of the volcanoes that have caught people's attention right now! Oh yes, and sorry about the brevity of many of these updates lately - time, it seems to disappear much faster right now, so I've had to spend a little less time on the posts than I'd normally like. However, a big "thank you" to all of you Eruptions readers for picking up my slack and adding all the details and information that I have missed in regards to all this volcanic activity. The blog wouldn't be the same without you.

Bulusan, Philippines: The restive volcano experience another set of explosions yesterday and today, again producing fairly small plume of only ~1 km / 3,300 feet, but it is enough to give PHIVOLCS pause about the threat to the area near the volcano. Additional monitoring equipment has been moved to the volcano and local residents have been warned about the potential for lahars to be generated by these small explosions - in fact, one lahar has already damaged part of a highway near Bulusan. PHIVOLCS has also warned aircraft near the volcano about the potential ash hazard from these explosions, along with warning people on the northwest and southwest sides of Bulusan about potential ash fall. Local officials are already making plans for potential evacuations.

Merapi, Indonesia: Over in Indonesia, Merapi continues on in its current eruption, albeit at a slightly less energetic state. Syamsui Maarig, Head of National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), reported that explosions at Merapi have become less frequent (indonesian) over the last 24 hours - and he gave the first estimate I've seen on an erupted volume: ~0.14 km3. That multiple is relatively small and what I might have guess from the pictures of the ash fall I have seen - and would put this as a ~VEI 3-4 eruption so far. James Reynolds has tweeted some stunning images of the damage caused by ash near the volcano, with trees and structures heavy strained by the weight of the ash. As the eruption marches on, the ash plume looms large over Yogjakarta (video) and the city's airport has been closed until at least next Monday. Now, over 320,000 people have had to flee from the activity, with over 200 people missing, including children lost in the chaos of the evacuations. If you want to try to keep an eye on the activity, there is a new webcam for Merapi that appears to be working, so check it out.

Source

A lot going on here in Volcano world

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
And here is the official report on Merapi for today

Indonesian to English translation
MINISTRY OF ENERGY AND MINERAL RESOURCES OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
GEOLOGY BOARD
DIPONEGORO ROAD NO. BANDUNG 57 40 122
Jalan Jend. Gatot Subroto JAKARTA 12950 KAV.49
Phone: 022-7212834, 5228424 021-5228371 Fax: 022-7216444, 021-5228372 E-mail: [email protected]
Number: 2337/45/BGL.V/2010 9 November 2010
Nature: Immediately
Attachments: -
Subject: Activity Report G. Merapi 9 November 2010 at 00:00-24:00 pm
Dear,
1. Head of National Disaster Management Agency
2. Governor of Yogyakarta Special Region
3. Governor of Central Java
4. Sleman Regent
5. Regent Magelang
6. Regent of Klaten
7. Regent Boyolali
Herewith submitted activity reports G. Merapi, November 9, 2010 at 00:00
until 24:00 pm.
I. Monitoring Results
Based on observations made at 00:00-24:00 pm eruption still
progress with the intensity decreased.
The following are summaries of the latest monitoring results, including data monitoring in
instrumental and visual.
1. Seismicity
Based on the results obtained by the number of seismic monitoring of seismicity as follows:
Type of Earthquake November 7, 2010 November 8, 2010 November 9, 2010
00-24 hrs 00-24 hrs 00-24 hrs
Volcanic 31 13 7
MP - - -
LF - - 4
Tremor consecutive streak streak
35 consecutive successive avalanches
AP (Awanpanas) 1 7 2
Tectonic - - 2
2. Visual
From Ketep reported always audible roar with weak-strong intensity.
Sounds pretty strong rumble sounded at 2:08 pm accompanied by gusts of smoke
soared and at 8:03 pm. back to rumble with the sound intensity
weak to strong at 19:21, 20:01, 20:59, and 23:14 pm. Also observed firelight
20:26 pm and 21:01 pm and vote lava. At 05:00 pm observed column
smoke as high as 1500 m. At 15:30 pm, white smoke visible brownish with height 2700 m
biased toward the West Sea. The weather was overcast and foggy thick, occur throughout the morning to evening
This, rain with low to moderate intensity occurred in the afternoon. Thin ash falls occurred
in Selo at 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 pm, 21:55 pm at Ketep, and at 22:25 pm in Talun.
From the observation of CCTV, looking lava leads to K. Gendol, occur as
2 times the maximum sliding distance of 800 m (05:58 GMT).
At 14:04 pm. 5.6 magnitude tectonic earthquake was recorded with epicenter at 94 km West
Power Yogyakarta. At 19:40 AM 5.7 magnitude tectonic earthquake 139 km west of Sukabumi.
Rain with a low to moderate intensity, occurred this evening.
II. Lahar Watch
Lahar deposits observed in all the rivers that disgorge at peak G. Merapi from the direction of
Southeast, South, Southwest, West and North West covers, K. Woro, K. Yellow, K.
Boyong, K. Bedog, K. Krasak, K. Bebeng, K. Sun, K. Lamat, K. Senowo, K. Trising, and K.
Apu. Terdengan sound flood of Ketep at 20:01 pm.
III. Conclusion
Based on the results of instrumental and visual monitoring on November 9, 2010 from at
00:00 pm to 24:00 pm shows activity G. Merapi is still high.
Under these conditions, the activity status of Mount Merapi remains at level
Awas (level 4). G Merapi danger can be awanpanas and lava.
IV. Recommendation
Due to the high volcanic activity G. Merapi and the status is still defined
Beware level, it is recommended as follows:
1. In order for an investigation of volcanic ash that could potentially interfere with the path
flights to and from Field International Airport in Yogyakarta Adisucipto.
2. There are no activities of the people in disaster prone areas III, particularly those living in
about the flow of the river (the threat of danger awanpanas and lava) that tipped in G. Merapi
Southeast sector, South, Southwest, West and Northwest within 20 km of
peak G. Merapi covers, K. Woro, K. Gendol, K. Yellow, K. Boyong, K. Bedog, K.
Krasak, K. Bebeng, K. Sun, K. Lamat, K. Senowo, K. Trising, and K. Apu.
3. Immediately move the refugees to a safe place outside a radius of 20 km from
peak G. Merapi.
4. Communities around G. Merapi to always follow the directions from the Government
Local District in an effort to rescue themselves from the threat of eruption danger G.
Merapi.
5. To anticipate the possibility of expanding the area run up awanpanas, Center
Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation is always coordinated with the Government
Local area.
6. Communities are asked not to panic and be affected by the outstanding issues
on behalf of a particular agency about the activity of G. Merapi and still follow
referrals from local governments that have always coordinated with the Center
Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation.
Thus we submit, for your attention and cooperation, we thank you.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

this guy is getting his info from CB Radio

Trisno Tjhin on November 9, 2010, 2:01 PM
november 9th, lynxluna RT @gsarwohadi: 22:47 Increasing hotspots, visible lava slide. Wukirsari reported sulphurous odor. #merapi 149.07

November 10th, 1:59AM (GMT +7) two hotspot sighted on top of merapi. slow moving lava flow. heard it from the online streaming CB radio. 149.07

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
YELLOWSTONE IS RUMBLING!

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I have been watching Yellowstone for some time now. Most days there are 10 to 20 quakes at Yellowstone. Today the map is showing 57 and counting!

I'm not even sure how to prepare for this one. If Yellowstone blows it will be devastating.

Here is a link to the most recent map:
www.seis.utah.edu...

murdonstaf
edit on 9-11-2010 by murdonstaf because: I wanted to add my username.

edit on 9-11-2010 by murdonstaf because: the url didn't work

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join