It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Sweet. Sort of classic really

You should get it framed!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well guys, Another volcano in the Ring of Fire has awakened(Erupted) on the Philippines.
Mt. Bulusan

www.gmanews.tv...

Noticed also today a huge Solar Flare and some decent earthquakes occurred.
Eyes open people.

edit on 6-11-2010 by magestyk7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I've got a question, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it was this morning, & I went back two pages and couldn't see it - I noticed a 5.0 BALLENY ISLANDS REIGON5.0 in Balleny Islands down near antartica, I thought I remembered there were a couple of volcanoes down there, and a look in GE and there are 2 stratovolcanoes on the Ballney Islands that haven't had much study done on them, I'm aware the EQ hit on a fault line, but with so much activity is it too big of a stretch that it could be either or both of those waking up?

Balleny wiki
Balleny hotspot wiki
Young Island stratovolcano
Buckle Island stratovolcano

This is pasted from where I posted it in the EQ thread, so if it's been answered over there, just ignore this ;p.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by magestyk7

Eyes wide open here - I keep jumping from Solar Activity, Earthquakes and Volcanos. Hope Mt. Helen stays quiet - I remember the last eruption well! Thanks all for the good work!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

we are over the top of new moon... things should ease douwn coming day's /weeks......

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Grimsvotn volcano in Iceland remains silent despite flood

Posted on06 November 2010. Tags: Eyjafjallajokull, Grimsvotn Volcano, Iceland Eruption, Iceland Volcano, Volcano Eruption

Despite the flooding in the Gigjukvisl river in south Iceland this week, all appears calm under the Grimsvotn volcano at the moment. One or two small tremors have been measured there over the past couple of days, however, there has been no further signs of a possible eruption, according to mbl.is.

Thorunn Skaftadottir, a geologist working for The Icelandic Met Office (Veðurstofa Íslands), told mbl.is yesterday that a number of small earthquakes have been recorded close to Krysuvik on the Reykjanes peninsula. The source of the earthquakes was about four kilometers deep; but activity is not uncommon in this area so these events could be unrelated.

The flooding came from an increase in run-off meltwater from the Vatnajokull ice cap, which suggested the possibility of an eruption. Due to the major disruptions caused to European air traffic in spring 2010 by the Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption, this week’s flooding and talk of another possible eruption has made world news.

Grimsvotn last erupted in 2004 creating an ash cloud that caused some disruption to air travel, although not on the same scale as the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull. If Grimsvotn was to erupt, any further disruption to air traffic would depend on the size of the eruption, the amount of ash generated and also weather conditions.

However, after the experience and knowledge gained from the Eyjafjallajokull eruption, airlines and aviation authorities have had to become better equipped to deal with such situations and any future volcano eruptions in Iceland.

www.icenews.is...

Jökulhlaup from Grímsvötn subsides
Figure 1. The jökulhlaup from Grímsvötn (click to enlarge).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The jökulhlaup (glacial outburst flood) from Grímsvötn that began near the end of October is now coming to an end.

The flood reached a maximum level shortly after noon on November 3, and scientists from IMO visited the site on that day to study the effects of the flood on the region adjacent to the ice margin. Two IMO technicians have performed regular discharge measurements on the bridge over the river Gígjukvísl throughout this week (Figure 1) and the results from their measurements are shown in Figure 2.

Figure 2. Discharge (m3/s) measurements at Gígjukvísl bridge: From the curve the total amount of floodwater is estimated 0.45 km3.
The discharge curve is typical for jökulhlaups from Grímsvötn that do not result from volcanic activity: Over the course of several days, the amount of water flowing through an ice tunnel at the glacier bed steadily increases. Loss of frictional heat from the floodwater causes melting of the tunnel walls, thereby increasing the flow capacity of the tunnel.

From conductivity measurements and water level recordings it seems likely that the jökulhlaup started already on October 28. The total volume of water in the subglacial lake beneath the ice cover in Grímsvötn, located 50 km up-glacier, was estimated to be 0.7 km3 at the start of the jökulhlaup. The maximum discharge of the flood was slightly above 2600 m3/s and the total volume is estimated to have been 0.45 km3, making this jökulhlaup rather small in comparison with many earlier floods from Grímsvötn.

In past centuries, most jökulhlaups from Grímsvötn have entered the course of the river Skeiðará. This time, however, floodwater that emerged from beneath the eastern part of the glacier went westwards along the glacier margin and then entered the river Gígjukvísl. Skeiðará has deposited very large amounts of sediment on the eastern part of Skeiðarársandur plains over the centuries, increasing the elevation of the sandur area there relative to the central part. In addition, the glacier has carved a trench during times of advance. Thus, it was clear that retreat of the glacier over the past 15 years would sooner or later lead to a drastic shift in the direction of meltwater flow from this part of the glacier. In the summer of 2009, this shift occurred and water has ceased to enter the course of Skeiðará.

Although this was the first jökulhlaup to take the westward course along the glacier margin, inspection on the ground and from the air on November 3 did not reveal drastic signs of water erosion or ice breakup. The water flowed swiftly along the glacier margin (Figures 3 and 4), descending under tongues of ice at two locations and emerging again on the downstream side. There were, however, clear signs of slumping on sediment banks at the southern side of the water flow, and thus great care must be taken during visits to the area.

Meltwater along the margin

Figure 3. The jökulhlaup flowing westwards in its course along the margin of the Skeiðarárjökull outlet glacier. Photo: Þorsteinn Þorsteinsson.
The new pathway

Figure 4. View towards the Skaftafell mountains, east of Skeiðarárjökull. A sediment bank is visible to the left and a continuation of this feature is seen on the right hand side of the photo. The water that previously flowed into the Skeiðará river breached this sediment bank in 2009, leading to the start of meltwater flow along the margin and into Gígjukvísl. Photo: Þorsteinn Þorsteinsson.
Figure 5 shows the location where the greatest amount of upwelling of water was observed and Figure 6 shows a scientist measuring the water temperature at this site. Earlier data from the subglacial lake in Grímsvötn have indicated that the water temperature there is close to the melting point and the value obtained at the site shown in Figure 6 was -0,025°C ± 0,006°C (i.e. very close to the melting point). Loss of potential energy as the water descends 50 km downslope through the ice tunnel generates frictional heat in the water, but this heat seems to be entirely lost through the process of melting the tunnel walls.

Samples were taken on site and the composition of the floodwaters will be analysed by geochemists at the Earth Science Institute, University of Iceland.

The main upwelling

Figure 5. The main location of upwelling on the easterly part of the ice margin. Water was also seen to emerge at other locations. Photo taken at 15:40 PM on November 3. The mark of a higher water level 2-3 hours earlier (during peak flow) is seen on the debris-laden ice walls. Two people can be seen on the ice. Photo: Þorsteinn Þorsteinsson.
Measurements at the upwelling

Figure 6. Temperature measurement at the upwelling site. The scientist doing the measurement is connected to a safety line. A temperature recorder lowered into the water stores data in its memory, which later are downloaded to a computer. Samples were taken to investigate whether frazil ice was forming in the water; such ice can form as water flows quickly uphill beneath a glacier and supercools due to rapid lowering of pressure. No frazil ice was found at this location. Photo: Þorsteinn Þorsteinsson.

en.vedur.is...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

This is the last status report for the Grímsvötn jökulhlaup.

Grímsvötn volcano
Status Report: 17:00 GMT, 5 November 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland
Compiled by: Thorunn Skaftadottir, Eyjólfur Magnússon, Snorri Zophoniasson,
Steinunn S. Jakobsdottir, Gunnar B. Gudmundsson and Matthew J.
Roberts.
Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IES-IMO GPS
monitoring.
Meltwater: Yesterday, at 16:10 GMT, a discharge of 735 m3/s was measured in the
Gígja river. Discharge levels will likely return to pre-flood conditions
within 2–3 days.
Seismic tremor: In comparison to yesterday, tremor intensity at seismic station 'grf'' is
lower. Overall, seismic tremor at 'grf' is presently 20% of the level
reached during the peak of the jökulhlaup. There are no indications of
low frequency tremor suggestive of volcanic activity.
Earthquakes: Three earthquakes ranging in size from magnitude 0.9 to 1.2 have been
detected beneath Grímsvötn today.
GPS deformation: No change; see status report from 01 November 2010.
Overall assessment: Tremor levels at seismic station 'grf' have reduced slightly in the last
24 hours. Discharge measurements in the Gígja river show that the
jökulhlaup is waning rapidly. Presently, there are no detectable signs of
the beginning of a volcanic eruption at Grimsvötn.
This is the last status report for the Grímsvötn jökulhlaup. If signs
of volcanic activity occur, we will resume these reports
immediately.

en.vedur.is...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestyk7
Noticed also today a huge Solar Flare

Really? I get detailed reports on all solar activity as soon as it's detected direct to my phone. The biggest flare I saw was an M5.4, what huge flare are you thinking of?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestyk7
Well guys, Another volcano in the Ring of Fire has awakened(Erupted) on the Philippines.
Mt. Bulusan

www.gmanews.tv...

Noticed also today a huge Solar Flare and some decent earthquakes occurred.
Eyes open people.

edit on 6-11-2010 by magestyk7 because: (no reason given)

Well i don't know how, but some how your post led me to the great eruption that ended the US military presence in the Philippines. Watch all three parts you all.

www.youtube.com...

God bless volacanos...

but really this puts into perspective what one small volcano can do, hang on world.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Here a videoclip from Merapi by MSNBC.MSN.COM. I hope for the people that they are save!!!

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by magestyk7

Not to drift the thread, but info on much "larger" flares can be found here

www.spacew.com...

2004 saw a few over 100 X class flares with aurorae as far south as Houston, Texas. I don't recall any major outages then.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

That's the one I was talking about.
www.spaceweather.com...
solarcycle24.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

edit on 7-11-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Activity in the Philippines.

Bulusan is looking like it is going to blow.

www.abs-cbnnews.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Great. What's the potential for this volcano? I am guessing they aren't expecting anything too terrible if it's only a 4 km safety zone.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Back to Merapi, it looks like they have got 4 webicorders back up and running.

Although in Indonesian this page seems to translate quite well with Google translate into English.

Just click on the red blips on the map to see the webicorders.
There's a lot of additional info on the above linked page with updates as well.

Direct links for the webicorders below:

Klatakan
Pusunglondon
Deles
Plawangan

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Thanks for that. That looks much better! Bit of HT just on the plot now.

I think that these are the same addresses as they used to be. I will check and let you know.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It appears the Merapi Web Cam is back up and running. Go figure. :-)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Bulusan is generally known for its sudden steam-driven or phreatic explosions. It is one of the most active volcanos in the Philippines, and after Mayon, Taal and Pinatubo is considered the 4th most active, having erupted 15 times since 1886.

Source: Wiki

Like most volcanoes it is one of the most active
aren't they all when you read about them!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

We seem to have a problem. ALL of those a re off line again except the last one and that got stuck at about 17:40 UTC

Anyone hear anything?

reply to post by Anmarie96

Nice stars. Anyone feel we are not perhaps getting the right info. There would appear to be no eruption.

Edit: It is not changing. Seems that is zapped as well.
edit on 8/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join