It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Got ya - me too!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Thanks all for the links and updates!!! Terrible what is happening to the people in Indonesia - who cares where the Obama clan ends up, they have bomb tunnels - these people do not! It looks as if this is getting worse by the minute, will return often for updates.

As am I.
I was interested in the jet stream and what direction the fallout would head, and what area of the globe would be affected last. That is all.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

I just edited my post with another one showing the main wind flows which is what you are after.

Obviously as you are pointing out the wind direction is very relevant to volcano watchers. Don't want the smoke from the stack to get in the way
(That is a joke by the way - just in case you are not sure.)

I have some Jet stream links. I will find them.

Edit: There you go try that one. Hours of fun!
edit on 5/11/2010 by PuterMan because: Can't you see edit box. I already explained why.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Another Nasa Earth Observatory image of the plume.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81893e4a56b7.jpg[/atsimg]

Nasa Earth Observatory - Merapi Plume Nov. 5

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sheeplemama_awakening

Well that's a relief! At least that confirms what I was saying that it is blowing towards Jakarta.

Thanks for that.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I don't know if that was sarcasm or patronizing. My eight year old and I have great respect for the power of the earth, especially volcanos and earthquakes. When he saw the picture of the plume, he suggested that I could share it. We were amazed at Sinabung, now we are shocked at the devastation that Merapi is bringing. I am by no means an expert in volcanos or earthquakes. I just wanted to share the image and contribute meaningfully to the thread.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheeplemama_awakening

I don't know if that was sarcasm or patronizing. My eight year old and I have great respect for the power of the earth, especially volcanos and earthquakes. When he saw the picture of the plume, he suggested that I could share it. We were amazed at Sinabung, now we are shocked at the devastation that Merapi is bringing. I am by no means an expert in volcanos or earthquakes. I just wanted to share the image and contribute meaningfully to the thread.

Excuse me? It was neither. I am very pleased that you shared it because it confirms the little black arrows on the weather map which are after all not real, whereas the picture is.

I am not, I hope, in the habit of being either sarcastic or patronising
edit on 5/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Another Volcano just erupted on Nigeria.
Sadly one person is feared dead while properties worth millions is destroyed.
www.vanguardngr.com...

Volcano being active is one thing, Erupting is another and too many are erupting.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Newberry Volcano, Oregon: If we needed any reminder about the importance of preparedness and volcano monitoring, Merapi is it. So, it shouldn't be surprising that USGS geologists closely watch volcanoes that many people forget can still be a threat, such as Oregon's Newberry Caldera. Dr. Julie Donnelly-Nolan told reporters that "we have no reason to believe it’s finished" - that is, the volcano is still viable, even after 1,300 years since its last eruption. Eight new seismometers are being installed around the caldera next summer to help with monitoring volcanoes in the Central Oregon Cascades. That being said, there is no imminent threat of an eruption, but as with any potentially active volcano, it is better to be overprepared than under.

from Eruptions
bigthink.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by magestyk7

Wow, didn't know there were any volcanoes there. Even Google maps didn't show it. I wonder if that area was being monitored before it exploded. According to Wikipedia, there is only one volcano and it's on the Biu Plateau, active in the Holocene period. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestyk7
Another Volcano just erupted on Nigeria.
Sadly one person is feared dead while properties worth millions is destroyed.
www.vanguardngr.com...

Volcano being active is one thing, Erupting is another and too many are erupting.

Another one: www.abs-cbnnews.com...

All of these volcanoes going up at around the same time is really weird......I know nothing about volcanoes but all of this high volcano activity is for sure worth me having keeping an eye on......

regards,

ringht_n_wrong

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
So how many volcanoes have erupted in the past 30 days? I have never seen this much activity so close together before.

But then again i have only been following volcanic/earthquake activity for the last 3 years.

To the experts out there, is this normal to have so much activity all at once?

Thank you in advance

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Just for info
Here is the ash advisory. Todays not out yet or I can't get it yet.

FVAU02 ADRM 061113 2010310 1116
VA ADVISORY
DTG: 20101106/1112Z
VAAC: DARWIN
VOLCANO: MERAPI 0603-25
PSN: S0732 E11026
AREA: JAVA
SUMMIT ELEV: 2947M
ADVISORY NR: 2010/39
INFO SOURCE: MTSAT-2, S02 IMAGERY
AVIATION COLOUR CODE: RED
ERUPTION DETAILS: VA PLUME TO FL550 LAST OBS EXTENDING 190 NM TO W AT 06/0630Z.
OBS VA DTG: 06/1115Z
OBS VA CLD:
SFC/FL550 S0620 E11045 - S0810 E11050 - S1115 E10505 -
S0455 E10445 - S0620 E11045 - S0620 E11045 MOV W 20KT FCST VA CLD +6HR: 06/1715Z SFC/FL550 S0620 E11045 - S0810 E11050 - S1120 E10305 -
S0435 E10255 - S0620 E11045 - S0620 E11045 FCST VA CLD +12HR: 06/2315Z SFC/FL550 S0615 E11045 - S0810 E11050 - S1145 E10100 - S0430 E10055 - S0620 E11040 - S0615 E11045 FCST VA CLD +18HR: 07/0515Z SFC/FL550 S0620 E11045 - S0810 E11050 - S1220 E09855 - S0400 E09855 - S0615 E11040 - S0620 E11045
RMK: CONTINUOUS ERUPTIONS, BUT VA PLUME NOT VISIBLE ON SAT DUE TO METEOROLOGICAL CLOUD. FCST BOUNDARIES EXTRAPOLATED. OMI S02 AT 06/0614Z USED AS PROXY FOR VA. GRAPHIC AT [LOWER CASE]
NXT ADVISORY: NO LATER THAN 20101106/1715Z DARWIN VAAC.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tzavros
I have been watching this since it started as tiny traces. I did loads of screen grabs at the time. I will try and upload some tomorrow.
Could one of you experts please explain a little what this is please? I am a total begginer and I would love to know what I am seeing here.
Thank you

I have posted the old webicoders so you can see the progress.
ormesby-broad.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Could I just mention one thing? (Not a criticism) The recorders you have posted on your site for today are not showing today. The recorders all stopped working on the 4th November and if you look very closely at the top left hand corner you can just decipher that.)

Look at the Merapi webicorders from this link and go to the recorder page. Select a recorder. It does not matter which recorder (except one does not show this) - click on the squiggle. The buttom text says

Mohon maaf webicoder stasiun Pusunglondon sudah tidak berfungsi, dikarenakan stasiun terkena letusan.

Using Google language tools you can translate this to:

We are sorry webicoder Pusunglondon station was not working, because the stations affected by the eruption.

Source

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Thanks for that. I could not see the date on the last one.
I will change the date.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

This link is useful - but is only updated once a week on Wednesdays.

4 or 5 in the last 30 days and maybe one or two to come in the near future. (Colima, Bulusan). I suppose it depends to some extent on how you look at it. The Kamchatka volcanoes are always belching - if you classify these as eruptions then there is quite a lot going on, but they usually call it 'activity' - so much less scary!

It is pretty normal really. The areas currently erupting and one due to erupt (possibly) are all active areas and at any given time there may be more activity than at other times.

Probably the easiest way to ease ones mind is to put one's head in a bucket of sand. It is an expression I frequently use to my better half when something erupts, quakes, floods etc - "Pass the sand bucket"

Information overload is not always a good thing!
edit on 6/11/2010 by PuterMan because: Oi box. You whipped that away just as i spotted the spelling error! Sheesh!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Folks, this page has a really neat display of the current alert status of Indonesian volcanoes.

Blinking leds on the right hand side.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

As to the 1.7 quake at Helens, Here's a nice looking seismo.

(they finally updated their live seismo list!)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Merapi Mini-Update for 11/6/2010
Erik Klemetti on November 6, 2010, 1:11 PM
With the 600+ comments over on yesterday's post about Merapi, I thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread. A couple brief updates on the state of the eruption at Merapi:

- A no-fly zone has been instituted around Merapi and flights in and out of cities as far away from Jakarta have been cancelled.

- There are reports of more pyroclastic flows issuing from the volcano today - mostly on Twitter feeds for people on the ground near the volcano (note: use with caution). Some of the tweets mention that Indonesian officials want people to move away from banks of rivers coming from Merapi, suggesting they think lahars might be generated.

- The death toll continues to climb from the eruption, now upwards of 140 and potential evacuees might top 1,000,000 as the high risk zone is extend outwards to 20 km from the volcano.

Keep on posting whatever information you can find on the eruption as we all try to keep up with the news.

Top left: Merapi erupting on November 6, 2010. You can clearly see the ash fall from the plinian column on the left side of the image along with abundant lightning generated by the plume. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Source

I have been following this blog for the past 60 hours straight - just incredible!
- people sticking together in times of crisis to help each other shows that all is not lost in this world

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join