It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Almost missed this one on my RSS feeds. It cam in yesterday.

FVAG01 SABM 120100 VA ADVISORY DTG: 20100312/0100Z VAAC: BUENOS AIRES VOLCANO: VILLARRICA 1507-12 PSN: S3925 W07156 AREA:CHILE SUMMIT ELEVATION: 2947M ADVISORY NUMBER: 2010/001 INFORMATION SOURCE: WEBCAM DGAC ERUPTION DETAILS: N/A OBS ASH DATE/TIME: 12/0020Z OBS ASH CLOUD: VA NOT IDENTIFIABLE FROM SATELLITE DATA FCST ASH CLD +06HR: 120700Z FCST ASH CLD +12HR: 121300Z FCST ASH CLD +18HR: 121900Z REMARKS: VA CLOUD NOT IDENTIFIABLE FROM SATELLITE DATA HOWEVER WEBCAM SHOWS A THIN PLUME OF GAS/ASH EXTENDED NEAR TO THE SUMMIT NEXT ADVISORY: NO FURTHER ADVISORIES. FURTHER INFORMATION WILL BE ISSUED IF ANY ASH CLOUD IS DETECTED/OBSERVED

(Note to Mods: I am not shouting - this is as it is in the external source)

Source

See also this report which in addition to other details contains this

SERNAGEOMIN reported that on 4 March seismicity from Llaima increased. During an overflight that same day, scientists observed emissions of gas and steam from the main crater. Images taken that day were compared to those taken on 21 February and showed no significant changes in morphology. The rate of sulfur dioxide emissions had increased, however. Scientists also noted deposits from a large rockfall along with fracturing of the glacier, especially on the upper N and NW flanks. Those observations in addition to the increased seismicity prompted SERNAGEOMIN to raise the Alert Level to Yellow, Level 4.

LLAIMA Central Chile 38.692°S, 71.729°W; summit elev. 3125 m

Looks as if the Chilean earthquakes may have woken this volcano.

[edit on 13/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Whilst wilfing around the volcano blogs I came across this:

Mount St. Helens ’spiders’ will get tryout on Chilean volcano (The Oregonian) – Geological ’spiders’ packed with instruments to monitor the heaves, sighs and belches of Mount St. Helens, are expected to migrate south this month. Two of the contraptions are headed to Chaiten, a volcano in Chile that began erupting in 2008 after about 9,000 years of dormancy. … The machines helped give the USGS sufficient information to declare in January 2008 that Mount St. Helens recent eruptive phase was over. That kind of certainty is needed at Chaiten, said John Ewert, a volcanologist in the Volcano Disaster Assistance Program. “It’s always hard enough to know when they’ll start erupting,” said Ewert, part of the team that visited the Chilean volcano in January. “It’s even harder to tell when they’ll stop.”‘

This is the source page

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Whilst wilfing around the volcano blogs I came across this:

Mount St. Helens ’spiders’ will get tryout on Chilean volcano (The Oregonian) – Geological ’spiders’ packed with instruments to monitor the heaves, sighs and belches of Mount St. Helens, are expected to migrate south this month. Two of the contraptions are headed to Chaiten, a volcano in Chile that began erupting in 2008 after about 9,000 years of dormancy. … The machines helped give the USGS sufficient information to declare in January 2008 that Mount St. Helens recent eruptive phase was over. That kind of certainty is needed at Chaiten, said John Ewert, a volcanologist in the Volcano Disaster Assistance Program. “It’s always hard enough to know when they’ll start erupting,” said Ewert, part of the team that visited the Chilean volcano in January. “It’s even harder to tell when they’ll stop.”‘

This is the source page

this is good . and prob long overdue ..

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Some of the volcanic activity headlines for the past week:

•Llaima: steam-and-gas plumes detected, alert level raised
•Soufrière Hills: major dome collapse, resulting ash plume reaches 15.2 km altitude
•Nevado del Huila: gas emissions and thermal anomalies detected on the lava dome
•Tungurahua: ash plumes rose to altitudes of 5.5 to 9 km
Source: volcanism.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
All is quiet at Chaiten and it is looking good today.

When I took a look last night - in the dark - there was a definite 'glow' but I don't see much evidence of it today. I won't bother to post a picture.

Oops changed my mind. Looks as if the USGS spiders have arrived to survey Chaiten. They are MASSIVE!

[edit on 16/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Near West flank of Mt. Shasta y'all!!!!! I don't know, looks bad, how long's it been for old Shasta, since last eruption, just curious?

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 2.4
Date-Time Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 02:13:32 UTC
Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 07:13:32 PM at epicenter

Location 40.943°N, 122.967°W
Depth 16.8 km (10.4 miles)
Region NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances 23 km (14 miles) N (354°) from Weaverville, CA
30 km (19 miles) NNW (334°) from Lewiston, CA
38 km (24 miles) NW (314°) from French Gulch, CA
44 km (27 miles) NNE (20°) from Hayfork, CA
65 km (40 miles) NW (309°) from Redding, CA
295 km (183 miles) NNW (335°) from Sacramento, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth +/- 5.1 km (3.2 miles)
Parameters Nph= 11, Dmin=55 km, Rmss=0.06 sec, Gp=144°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=0
Source California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

During the last 10,000 years Shasta has erupted an average of every 800 years but in the past 4,500 years the volcano has erupted an average of every 600 years. The last significant eruption on Shasta may have occurred 200 years ago

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Thank you, that was fast..... and on a side note, did ya notice that 200 + 600= 800 yrs, just saying, not implying....

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Soufrière Hills: major dome collapse, resulting ash plume reaches 15.2 km altitude

That's Montserrat, right? Watch prog on this just a couple of days ago and the last big eruption (1997?) was due to collapse of lava dome - the up/down inflation caused cracks in the dome walls which led to huge pyroclastic flows..

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Vid of most recent action on Montserrat - Feb this year.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Where are you getting this? This is from the Montserrat Volcano Observatory

I can't see anything anywhere about this.

[edit on 16/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
www.montserratvolcanoobservatory.info... ports&Itemid=95&lang=en

It's the same site you viewed, puterman, you just need to go back to Feb in the news archive

Initial collapse report here: www.montserratvolcanoobservatory.info... eports&Itemid=95&lang=en

[edit on 16-3-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Apologies - my bad!

I thought you were referring to a new collapse.

[edit on 17/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Planchon Peteroa is in a stage three eruption. This is the Chilli-Argentina caldreras system that overlaps 3 seperate calderas that is in such a desolite area that they were not even discovered until reasently.
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

No doubt related to the earth movements this past month. Hope this isn't a monster awakening, and only a little venting.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Still trying to get some more details of this

eyjafjallajokull volcano erupts

Eyjafjallajökull volcano in southern Iceland has erupted after an extended period of seismic restlessness. The volcano began to erupt around midnight local time 20/21 March 2010. Civil protection authorities report that no-one is in immediate danger, but between 500 and 600 people have been evacuated from their homes. Pictures and reports indicate fissure eruption. Lava flows and ashfall have been reported and roads have been closed. University of Iceland geologist Tumi Gudumundsson is quoted by ABC News as saying that the eruption is located beneath an ice-free portion of the volcano, lessening the chances of a glacial flood being caused by melted ice. This could change, however, as the eruption develops.

More details when I can get them.

Addendum: Smithsonian description of the volcano

Eyjafjöll (also known as Eyjafjallajökull) is located immediately west of Katla volcano. Eyjafjöll consists of an E-W-trending, elongated ice-covered basaltic-andesite stratovolcano with a 2.5-km-wide summit caldera. Fissure-fed lava flows occur on both the eastern and western flanks of the volcano, but are more prominent on the western side. Although the 1666-m-high volcano has erupted during historical time, it has been less active than other volcanoes of Iceland's eastern volcanic zone, and relatively few Holocene lava flows are known. The sole historical eruption of Eyjafjöll, during December 1821 to January 1823, produced intermediate-to-silicic tephra from the central caldera.

The volcano is 'next door' to Katla - another one under the ice. There is a web cam for Katla but it does not show much. There is one for Eyjafjallajökull as well I believe and I am trying to find the link. The reason it does not show much is because the camera on Katla is facing 336 degrees (info given to me by Icelandic TV) so all it will pick up is drift. Incidentally this is a good webcam to look for aurorae.

Note also that I believe I am correct in saying that Katla is on alert as well, and has been for some weeks now.

Good link here.

Hekla web cam. See above for Katla cam.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/142d011cad16.png[/atsimg]

I think the Hekla cam must be over subscribed!! I can't get anything.

There are at least 2 plots from the only IRIS station I can find which is BORG on the II network. These are showing nothing out of the ordinary. BORG.II.00.LNZ.2010.080
and BORG.II.10.BHZ.2010.080

I don't think we are going to get any fallout in Ireland as, just at the moment anyway, the wind is blowing in the wrong direction

Here is a better one, the aninmated screens of ash clouds

This link is to a video of the volcano taken around 8am UTC this morning.

[edit on 21/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
That area if full of volcanoes. I was there last summer.
It's amazingly beautiful!

Hekla, Katla, Laki, Grimsvotn, are all nearby volcanoes.

Katla, which is a dangerous one, is very close to this one, just a few kms east.
Hekla, which is also one of Iceland greatest ones, is also 50km north, and has shown signs of an eminent eruption (which is nothing new because it has been erupting every 10 years)

I really recommend to anyone that likes to see volcanic landscapes to go there: Hekla, Laki, Thorsmork and Landmmanaugar

[edit on 21-3-2010 by segurelha]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I picked up this snippet in the Eruptions thread.

I translated the Sernageomin link to swedish, and as I understand it they had detected the EQs from the Chaiten seismic network. Interestingly the origin of the earthquakes actually wasn´t from Chaiten but instead from the Melimoyu volcano! It is probably a nearby volcano. They also write that they are making an expedition right now to put up a seismic station at Melimoyu.

Melimoyu is a stratowolcano with a 8 km wide icecovered caldera. And guess what.... It hasn´t erupted since 200AD!

link in source

Source

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Icelandic volcano Erupts shortly after midnight March 21 st for the first time in 200 years .

hisz.rsoe.hu...

oops didnt see that .

[edit on 21/3/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I just remembered that they did a study of Iceland recently. It sits on a plume that make Yellowstone look like a beginner. 150km across and over 400 km deep!

Wikipedia

It is just getting dark in Iceland now. On the Hekla cam (address above) you can make out the glow of the eruption the other side of the mountain. This must be a south facing cam.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Folks you might be interested in the NASA photo of my favourite Chilean volcano.

This was taken on the 3rd March so is very current.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join