It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
November 02, 2010

A New Volcanic Threat from Iceland
Just over two months after officials declared Eyjafjallajökull dormant, Icelandic geophysicists say a separate volcano is showing signs of life. Grímsvötn volcano may be about to blow its top -- and European air travel could once again be affected.

In April, it was Eyjafjallajökull. Now, there is a new threat from Iceland to European air travel: Grímsvötn

www.spiegel.de...=nlint

Here is another source from today you may want to check out.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks you for posting. We are of course aware of the impending eruption of Grimsfjall, but at the moment it is still impending.

According to Icelandic news there is a good chance of a eruption in Grímsfjall. Following the glacier flood from Grímsvötn glacier lake. That is at least the opinion of Páll Einarsson, a geologist at University of Iceland. This is not going to be a big eruption in Grímsfjall in Páll opinion. But it is most likely going to be similar in size to the eruption in Grímsfjall in the year 2004. But no damage did happen from that eruption and it did not erupt international flight paths (just domestic ones). In the news Páll also says that the pressure inside Grímsfjall magma chamber appears to be slightly higher then in the year 2004. But otherwise the situation in Grímsfjall is almost identical to the one in the year 2004.

Source

So yes it probably will erupt, although is not 100% certain. Some of the supposed inflation readings on the GPS in fact turned out to be ice on the GPS antenna.

Harmonic tremor is up, but the exact cause is not yet known.

This release of water from the lake occurs every 5 to 10 years and is not always accompanied by an eruption of any great magnitude.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Indonesian volcano unleashes its biggest eruption yet

The Raw Story

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03cdaf65c20f.jpg[/atsimg]

Indonesia's deadly Mount Merapi erupted Wednesday with its biggest volcanic explosion yet, forcing hasty evacuations of more villagers and the panicked refugees who already fled the initial blast a week ago.

A strong earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early Wednesday evening, but no damage or injuries were immediately reported and no tsunami warning was issued. Indonesia rests on a series of fault lines that make the sprawling archipelago nation one of the most seismically active places in the world.

The U.S. Geological Survey said Wednesday's quake had a preliminary magnitude of 6.1. It hit off Papua province some 18 miles (29 kilometers) beneath the ocean floor.

The volcanic eruption lasted more than an hour and shot searing ashes miles into the sky. Panicked people in Umbulhardjo refugee camp screamed and children cried when they saw the volcanic materials hurled into the sky and down the mountain's slopes.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
sigh...21 volcano's in indonesia are in stress...

www.livescience.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Keeping the Update- UP to Date

Status report - 3 November 2010 - Seismic tremor at Grímsvötn
en.vedur.is...

Indonesian volcano erupted Wednesday with its biggest blast yet.
news.yahoo.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by magestyk7

your link says

"He said the blast had triple the force of the first eruption on Oct. 26.

"We have no idea what's happening," he said, as he watched the bobbing needle of a seismograph machine. "It looks like we may be entering an even worse stage now.""

- That certainly can't be good! I am wondering what the latest VEI is for the last explosion

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Speaking of VEI's...

Here is something else to research...

San Juan Volcanic Field, Colorado: Did you know that the Fish Canyon Tuff from the San Juan Volcanic Field in Colorado is the only known VEI 9 eruption on the planet? It is believed to been an eruption that produced 5000 km3 of tuff. A good comparison is imagine the Fish Canyon Tuff as an oil drum and the 1991 eruption of Pinatubo would then scale to be roughly the size of a coffee cup.

From Eruptions

Things I've learned at GSA 2010: Part 1

bigthink.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96That certainly can't be good! I am wondering what the latest VEI is for the last explosion

They said it's the biggest eruption yet, and these photos were taken Nov 1st.
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Looks very bad brother, hope the government don't lie to the people(like they do here) and hopefully they start doing mass evacuations from all the areas that warming up.

Most people here in the states are in fantasy land. I told a group today of some of the major events taking place at the moment. Most didn't know what was happening around the world, and ALL of them cared more about the republican winning the elections. They kept saying that everything was going to get better now.

Lol, mother nature dont care about politics it's what I told em.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

So what does that make this?

The original area covered by the lava flows is estimated to have been as large as 1.5 million km², approximately half the size of modern India. The Deccan Traps region was reduced to its current size by erosion and plate tectonics; the present area of directly observable lava flows is around 512,000 km2 (197,684 sq mi).

Wiki

or this?

Vast volumes of basaltic lava paved over a large expanse of primeval Siberia in a flood basalt event. Today the area covered is about 2 million km² – roughly equal to western Europe in land area – and estimates of the original coverage are as high as 7 million km². The original volume of lava is estimated to range from 1 to 4 million km³.

Wiki

or how about this?

This relationship allows a re-estimate of the volume of Emeishan magmas, which is as much as 3.8 x 106 km3, typical of plume-generated LIPs in the world.

Source: PDF

Eruptions! Sheesh! VEI9 Ees a liddle beet small.

They are still volcanoes even though they don't exactly explode!

edit on 3/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Gach na faisnéise sin a rinne mo cheann ghortú!

Did that translate right?

The only thing I know at this point is that the more I learn about all this stuff, the warier I get. And I want to learn more.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yes it made my head hurt as well having to try and work out what that said!! I may live in Ireland but I was was brought up in England and am of Welsh descent!

Those traps though are massive arn't they. The siberian traps are very interesting as they involve Canada and the geology that goes to make up Yellowstone indirectly.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

OOh I am sorry *giggling* I took a chance, should have sent that translator link along with it heheh

Yes those traps are massive, I didn't know about them until now!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I heard that another Indonesian volcano Semeru has begun activity.

Can anyone confirm that?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

kelanakota.suarasurabaya.net...

i think its in Indoniesan but looks like shes active again .

Kelana Kota 04 November 2010, 21:07:08| Laporan Eddy Prastyo Aktivitas Gunung Semeru Menurun suarasurabaya.net| Kamis (04/11) malam, aktifitas Gunung Semeru kembali normal sesudah pukul 06.15 WIB mengeluarkan guguran awan panas atau wedus gembel. SUPARNO Petugas Pos Pantau Semeru di Gunung Sawur pada Suara Surabaya, mengatakan jarak luncur awan panas sekitar 4 km menuju arah desa Pronojiwo kecamatan Pronojiwo Lumajang. Karena awan panas tidak sampai masuk ke pemukiman warga, sampai sekarang belum ada evakuasi. SUPARNO juga mengatakan Desa Rowo Bahung kecamatan Pronojiwo merupakan desa terdekat dengan puncak Semeru, sekitar 10 sampai 11 km. Sampai sekarang belum ada perintah untuk mengungsi bagi warga Lumajang yang tinggal di lereng Semeru. Material vulkanik yang keluar dari puncak Semeru tadi pagi berupa bongkahan batu besar dan pasir yang kemudian diikuti awan panas atau wedus gembel. Berbeda dengan letusan Gunung Merapi, guguran awan panas Semeru tidak didahului gempa vulkanik.(edy) Powered by Telkomsel BlackBerry ®

edit on 4/11/10 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I'll look into it but in the mean time - on the Eruptions blog Here there is a lady on at the moment who lives right near Merapi and is giving input - kinda freaky.
edit on 4-11-2010 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

This is the best translation I could get

Decreased activity of Mount Semeru suarasurabaya.net | Thursday (04/11) night, Mount Semeru activity returned to normal after at 6:15 pm issued a glowing cloud of hot or wedus trash. Suparno Officer Pos Monitor Mount Semeru in Sawur on Suara Surabaya, said the hot clouds sliding distance about 4 km to the village Pronojiwo Pronojiwo Lumajang district. Because the hot clouds not to enter into settlement residents, until now there has been no evacuation. Suparno also said Village Rowo Bahung Pronojiwo district is the village closest to the peak of Semeru, about 10 to 11 km. Until now there has been no order to evacuate the residents who live on the slopes Lumajang Semeru. Volcanic material that comes out from the top of Semeru this morning in the form of boulders and sand which is then followed by hot clouds or wedus trash. In contrast to the eruption of Mount Merapi, Semeru not glowing cloud of hot volcanic earthquake preceded. (Edy)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Yes, and you will probably see I queried this as coming from Merapi

UGM.GE..BLZ.2010.308

Seems it may be. If that is the case that is a loooooooong HT

The latest big one is this I think
Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2010-11-04T17:07:32.300Z,-8.81000,119.77000,4.8000,126.0000,FLORES REGION INDONESIA

edit on 4/11/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Wow, are these volcanos creating a chain reaction or something. What is the total activity now - I thought I heard 27, but maybe I am wrong - I hope.

link   

I'm thinking right about now that if I lived in Indonesia it would be a GREAT time to go on vacation....anywhere.

link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

god gotta love it when iam wrong . thanks annarie

new topics

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join