It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So much attention is focussed on volcanic activity in Iceland. But there's a lot going on elsewhere!

Tungurahua volcano in Ecuador spews massive ash cloud (May 26, 2010)

ECUADOR - "A volcano spewed a 7-km-long ash plume, spreading the ash cloud in some towns near the volcano, the Ecuadorian Geophysics Institute (IG) said on Wednesday. The eruption occurred at 6:12 a.m. local time (1112 GMT), and "the sound of the eruption was heard in the towns near the volcano, even in Banos and Guadalupe, 14 km from the volcano," the IG said. The 5,016-meter-high Tungurahua Volcano is located 135 km south of the capital Quito. It began its eruption process in 1999. The ash cloud traveled in south-west direction and thick ash fell at 06:31 a.m. local time (1131 GMT) in towns of Mapayacu and Manzano. One and a half hours later the ash also fell over Guano and Riobamba. The volcano also spewed small flows of lava at the north, northwest, west and southwest of its crater, which went down between 800 and 1,000 meters without affecting the inhabited areas, the IG said. According to the IG, an increasing number of earthquakes were registered on May 17 in the "biggest" eruption in 2010. "However, according to the historical behavior of the volcano, the current activity is considered low, but with increasing trend," the IG said.' -China.org

mclinking

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Thanks for that information Alysha, very interesting. There seems to be a slight discrepancy in the dates. The article you cited states:

The caldera was created by a major eruption in 969 AD (± 20 years

Your text however, which does not appear to come from that article states:

Major activity in the 1960s created a caldera on its peak, whose circumference is nearly 14 kilometers with an average depth of 213 meters and maximum of 384 meters...............The latest volcanic eruption recorded at the 2,744-meter mountain was back in 1903. The mountain has stayed inactive since then, leaving it categorized by scientists as dormant.

I know I am old but I don't remember anything like this in the 1960's - and no I don't remember 960 either!

I love this picture from the Wiki article

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

thing is i got that from two diff sites and i forgot to post the other link .

sorry about that

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is an Irish newspaper scaremongering. A 200% increase is not exactly an increase to be concerned about when it goes from 1 to 3. Now if this was 10 to 30 then I would be concerned.

Frankly until Icelandic geologists say there is something to worry about, calm down and NO it does not need it's own thread - yet.

Before getting the panties in a twist try looking at this site first:

Katla monitoring site

Here is the one for Hekla for good measure.

Hekla monitoring site

By the way Katla has two or three earthquakes a week normally.

[edit on 27/5/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has heard about the Volcan de Pacaya in Guatemala, I was told it's raining sand and even some rocks, she lives in Guatemala City. There have been a few heavy tremors there today too.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
JUST IN!

Volcanic ash covers Guatemala’s capital, closes airport

wireupdate.com...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by arex10

Cheers for the news
Looks like armageddon is inching towards us

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
The volcano in Guatemala killed a television journalist, and three children are missing. State of emergency declared.

Volcano Blast Sparks Guatemala Emergency

A state of emergency has been declared in Guatemala after a volcanic eruption killed a television journalist and forced the international airport to close.

[---]

Three children aged seven, nine and 10 have been reported missing in the area.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
The volcano in Guatemala killed a television journalist, and three children are missing. State of emergency declared.

Volcano Blast Sparks Guatemala Emergency

A state of emergency has been declared in Guatemala after a volcanic eruption killed a television journalist and forced the international airport to close.

[---]

Three children aged seven, nine and 10 have been reported missing in the area.

omg thats horrible ,
thanks for de input, hellmutt.

( what do we owe ye for finaly graceing me thread)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
thats nice making money off volcano outburst...

www.liveoddsandscores.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
www.google.com...

Explosive eruptions shook two huge volcanos in Central and South America on Friday, forcing thousands of people to flee their homes and disrupting air traffic as ash drifted over wide regions.

Guatemala's Pacaya volcano started erupting lava and rocks on Thursday afternoon, blanketing the country's capital with ash and forcing the closure of the international airport. President Alvaro Colom declared a "state of calamity."

Meanwhile, strong explosions rocked Ecuador's Tungurahua volcano, prompting evacuations hundreds of people from nearly villages.

The National Geophysics Institute said hot volcanic material blasted down the slopes of the volcano, and ash plumes soared 6 miles (10 kilometers) above a crater that is already 16,479 feet (5,023 meters) above sea level.

Officials said that within a few hours, winds already had blown the ash over the city of Guyaquil, 110 miles (185 kilometers) to the southwest.

The eruption led aviation officials to halt flights out of Guayaquil and from Quito to Lima, Peru.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

And we were all looking at Iceland. I am planning a trip to Managua in July. Hoping to see the Mayasa volcano. I will send a report, hopefully a boring report.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
In pictures: Volcanos erupt in Ecuador and Guatemala

news.bbc.co.uk...

Amazing pictures definitely worth a look

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Pacaya Volcano & Tungurahua Volcano Cause Chaos in Ecuador and Guatemala

www.timesnewsline.com...

In Ecuador, the Tungurahua volcano started spewing hot lava forcing the villagers to run away from their homes. The authorities have shut the airport and schools in Guayaquil, the country's largest city. In Guatemala, at least 1,700 people have abandoned their homes and President Alvaro Colom has declared a state of emergency in Escuintla region

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Hi there this beautyfull morning. Katla's tremors go up!!!! Look here:

www.canetalk.com...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

I replied to this stupidity on the other thread where you posted it.

As I said in that reply please get you facts straight before making silly comments like this. Fearmongering/Scaremongering is not called for. I think most people on this thread at least are up for serious discussions about current activity and not statements based on partial information that are obviously incorrect (way up is not a description of the slight rise in tremor level) and appear to be designed to get people worried.

I would remind you that we are here to deny ignorance, not create it.

I would suggest that if you wish to post about the increase you do it more along these lines.

"I have noted that there seems to be a slight increase in the tremors at the monitors around Katla. Could this be of significance?"

That would elicit far more interest, from me anyway, and prompt people to look at it in an analytical light.

You have to remember that not every one who reads these threads understands earthquakes and volcanoes and we are trying to discuss these matters in a manner that is not alarmist.

There is quite enough going on around us with having to wind people up about extremely minor events such as this.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Mister Puterman, i think you overreacting a little bit to much. i now its to urley to say something happens. But i'm a man from 49 years old and don't have to listen to suchs words that you use. No hard feelings further. Greetzzz from me.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by marmitenews

This is on Foxnews.com
Pacific Volcano Erupts Near Mariana Islands, Spews Ash and Vapor Thousands of Feet

Published May 31, 2010
| Associated Press

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elienne
reply to post by marmitenews

This is on Foxnews.com
Pacific Volcano Erupts Near Mariana Islands, Spews Ash and Vapor Thousands of Feet

Published May 31, 2010
| Associated Press

www.google.com...

link for you on it. Doesn't look like it is much of anything to worry about yet but interesting none the less.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Saipan Volcano

Volcano going off...

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join