It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Hi westcoast. The camera you are looking at is the Katla cam, but is pointing at Eyjafjallajokull. It actually says that on the bottom.

This camera is located to the south of Katla and normally is at an angle of 336 degrees. You would expect to see steam, although I think that was cloud, and of course ash cloud as in you last picture.

It is difficult to get GE to exactly the right spot but roughly this is the view of Eyjafjoll from the position of the Katla camera.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/843a8bab278d.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 21/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the info....good thing I posted somewhere earlier that I wasn't 100% positive it was looking at Katla even though the link is titled Katla. I swear I did, really really....I don't look quite so stupid now, right?

Anyways....I guess it just confirms the fact that the ground on top of a massive errupting volcano is, uh.......HOT.

Seriously though, are there any cameras currently now that are actually looking at Katla? I give up trying to figure it out, my icelandic dialect is not good.

Oh, and I 100% agree with your post about being informed. Big difference between information and panic. I myself had been wondering just how big this system was in comparisson with Yellowstone. Thank you much for answering it.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

No there is nothing looking at Katla at present as far as I know. but Katla is not doing anything yet. It is unlikely that it would go off without considerable warning beforehand.

Something is brewing at Eyjafjoll however. There is an definite increase in the tremors to the level that the quake went off yesterday. Possibly another small quake in the offing shortly.

Godabunga plot on it's own

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I apologize for my remarks PuterMan, I look up to you in these threads. I worded my comments wrong, I was just expanding on the fact that this isn't "boom we all die" like some people tend to believe.

As for technology saving us, I disagree. Yes in the realm of basalt flows we can not magically stop miles of lava. However, we're working on self-contained farms within skyscraper like structures. A full temperature drop even 20 degrees wouldn't stop that. While world wide populations may starve, humanity itself would not end, even in a worse case scenario...

That was all I was trying to say. Again I apologize if I seemed a bit brash about it all, I'm having some real life problems that have me a tad edgy.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

No problem, and no apology required, but is accepted.

Unfortunately the idea of an urban skyscraper farm has not been realised yet, and I won't go into the problems of indoor growing in those circumstances.

Aside from that what is the first place that the starving populace will ransack for food?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

No there is nothing looking at Katla at present as far as I know. but Katla is not doing anything yet. It is unlikely that it would go off without considerable warning beforehand.

Something is brewing at Eyjafjoll however. There is an definite increase in the tremors to the level that the quake went off yesterday. Possibly another small quake in the offing shortly.

Godabunga plot on it's own

Hey Puterman - what think you of the current tremor plots! Quite an uptick, eh?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Ha, Ha, I said there would be a quake.

Date Time Latitude Longitude Depth Magnitude Quality Location
Thursday
22.04.2010 03:45:10 63.602 -19.460 1.1 km 2.1 80.17 8.2 km NNE of Skógar

Just over half an hour ago. Watch the tremors drop now the stress has been released.

Edit to add link:
Map of quake

Another edit:
There you go - on the way down
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7752cccc59ed.png[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Hi and good morning!
I have made som modest reflections about Katla.
Last eruption was in 1918 and lasted 24 days.

I haven't found any data so far about ash spreading, but in Norway the average temp for 1919 dropped 0.75 degrees compared to a normal year, according to the Norwegian Met.Office.

It has to be mentioned that the period from 1915 to 1920 was the coldest period in the last century.

Based upon this I think that maybe Katla isn't that dangerous after all, and the biggest concerns are about flooding from the glacier and lava spreading.

I will also recommend you to go to the Islandic site linked below, as it contains a lot of information about the current situation, and general information and updates about the other volcanoes on the island.
The site is in english.

www.earthice.hi.is...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
peek a boo
I see you

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc0341da1040.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 22-4-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Part of the scientific conspiracy uncovered

This is a quote by a vulcanologist in Iceland that I came across on the Eruptions! thread.
Link to the post

We'd really need to see the depth of the tremor source, the so-called "centroid", in order to better understand. And that's a type of data that's not made public but is reserved for the interpretation of experts in volcano seismology and eventually finds its way into scientific publications.

The scientific publications are the one you have to pay $35 or more for!

[edit on 22/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Part of the scientific conspiracy uncovered

This is a quote by a vulcanologist in Iceland that I came across on the Eruptions! thread.
Link to the post

We'd really need to see the depth of the tremor source, the so-called "centroid", in order to better understand. And that's a type of data that's not made public but is reserved for the interpretation of experts in volcano seismology and eventually finds its way into scientific publications.

The scientific publications are the one you have to pay $35 or more for!

thats just not right i know its done all the time everywhere but its just not right .

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
MAP 1.0 2010/04/22 14:26:15 45.346 -121.741 7.4 18 km ( 11 mi) E of Mount Hood Village, OR
MAP 1.9 2010/04/22 14:25:38 45.360 -121.756 5.5 17 km ( 11 mi) E of Mount Hood Village, OR
MAP 2.1 2010/04/22 14:25:38 45.367 -121.760 1.0 17 km ( 11 mi) E of Mount Hood Village, OR
MAP 2.1 2010/04/21 12:42:00 45.361 -121.759 5.7 17 km ( 11 mi) E of Mount Hood Village, OR

And, let us hope we don't see to many more of these

Thursday
22.04.2010 03:45:10 63.608 -19.457 1.0 km 1.5 99.0 7.8 km S of Básar

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

On the contrary, let's hope we do see more of them, just not too many. More is good as it releases the tension. Note how the tremors decreased in intensity after each small bump.

(I had posted that one by the way)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I did notice the decrease in tremor after the quakes - but it is the location moving east that was my concern.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Going off-line for about a week. I have to get some things done and once I get in here nothing gets done!!

I will still be monitoring Iceland and quakes, but I will not be participating unless something big happens, or someone needs 'enlightening' about Hekla and/or Katla (unless of course they do blow
)

See you folks in about 7 days time.

reply to post by Anmarie96

Personally I do not feel that the particular position of that last quake represents a concern. It may just have been from the relief of pressure by the melting of the icecap.

[edit on 23/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Will greatly miss your input, Puterman, hope you get it all done and get back to us asap!!

For those who asked where the locations of the tremor recorders were (god/esk/hau etc), below is a location map for these graphs: hraun.vedur.is...

MAP: img717.imageshack.us...

[edit on 24-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Revelation 9:1-2, King James version:
"9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit, and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit."

I wonder if this could apply to Yellowstone?

...just thinking.....

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Still lurking every now and again!

Have a laugh with this one

And this one

Enjoy!

Re plots: You will probably find this one better as it is a page with links to all the plots, GPS etc.

Keep your eye on the Eruptions! threads folks. In particular look at this link. You will get more information about what is actually going on in Iceland in here (Eruptions!) than anywhere else. There are at least two if not three Icelandic geologists who contribute.

reply to post by On the Edge

Yellowstone would be explosive. That sounds more like a description of Iceland

[edit on 24/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Interesting topic about the level of earthquakes this year.

On a more serious note (not that the other is not) take a look at this post on Eruptions!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Nobody seems to talk about THIS volcano (see below) but this one's the real stinker. Short clip of history :

"Iceland also has a lot of fluorine, which contributed to the deadly effects of 1783's Laki eruption. Fluorine-laced gas killed people as far away as England and led to a surge in chronic illness. Fluoridosis killed between half and three-quarters of Iceland's farm animals."

mclinking

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join