It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Have look at this amzing video of the eruption.

You can actually see the shockwaves traveling through the finer dust from the eruption, watch and be amazed.

Erption Video.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks PuteMan, i will take a look at that link later.
Yes the hole thing with the other volcano was a pure example of news gone mad over the internet. It even got updated on Wiki which was quite funny as once they new it was the camera facing the other way they changed it back!!

People do jump to quick, me included

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
End of days and all that!

What if Eyjafjallajokull goes on for a year

Decades of Iceland fireworks (Not about celebrations!)

[edit on 20/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Good article. (I read the first one so far)

I would like to make it a recomended read to some friends, but don't want to be accused of fear mongering. What's your take on it? A fatalistic view, or very realistic? Of course, anything is always possible, but how probable do you think a chain reaction erruption and the ensuing fall of countries/famine/climate change is?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Compulsionist

Thanks for that video!
I downloaded it and will use in the science class that I interpret. The science teachers love me (you.) Seeing the tremors in the dust is really remarkable!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Good morning

I am almost living on Iceland time.

Update on activity Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland Current events

Deflation - 20 April 2010 13:30 Latest available results from GPS stations around Eyjafjallajökull showed deflation associated with the eruption. This suggested that the volume of eruptive material which has been ejected already, relieves pressure off the volcano. No movements associated with the Katla volcano are presently observed.

Sound blasts - 20 April 2010 12:30 Heavy sound blasts have been heard and found near Eyjafjallajökull, especially south and east of the mountain, and more clearly after wind speeds became lower. The viscosity of the magma from Eyjafjallajökull is higher than on Fimmvörðuháls. This enhances the explosive sound effect. Shock- and soundwaves are carried long distances.

en.vedur.is...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

First - a little bump under the current eruption.

Date Time Latitude Longitude Depth Magnitude Quality Location
Tuesday
20.04.2010 20:21:49 63.611 -19.634 3.5 km 1.9 99.0 10.6 km SW of Básar
Monday
19.04.2010 17:45:50 63.651 -19.520 0.1 km 2.1 99.0 3.5 km SSW of Básar

I notice that on the tremor plots they went down slightly immediately after this quake.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3373b99b36d.jpg[/atsimg]

As regards the article, who knows? The first article was written by an Icelander - but a journalist. The second is by scientists. Journalists, Scientists - not sure if I believe either these days. I do however think it is a high possibility that Katla may erupt in the next year. I just noticed that berkeleygal posted that there has been deflation (I could not find the GPS that made sense to me). Maybe it is all over, maybe not.

My DB says the bump closed off the rock and stopped the magma flow and it has got miffed and is heading off to Katla.
Actually I would not discount that!

It had a very evil look on it's face if you recall the radar picture.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

The Icelandic Plume

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/137eefaa9620.jpg[/atsimg]

I have mentioned this before, earlier in the thread but I just found this diagram.

Yellowstone's plume is 410 miles deep and 45 miles wide. This one is 375 miles deep and nearly 90 miles wide.

Now if my maths is right and pi*dia*height is the volume of a cylinder then roughly the volumes of the two plumes are:

• Yellowstone = 57,962 cu miles
  • Iceland = 104,850 cu miles

Iceland wins hands down in terms of volume. Yellowstone is just a junior! Here is something else to consider as well. Both Jellystone and Hawaii are continental plates moving over the hot spot. So is Iceland, but it is being split down the middle and each half of Iceland moves 1 cm annually in opposite directions. The plume under Yellowstone is angled and may be cut off. Iceland is not - it is hot stuff right down to the bottom in one nice column that is centred on Grimsvötn, the producer of the Laki eruption.

Source

Large igneous provinces (LIP) such as Iceland, the Siberian Traps, Deccan Traps, and the Ontong Java Plateau are extensive regions of basalts on a continental scale resulting from flood basalt eruptions. When created, these regions often occupy several thousand square kilometres and have volumes on the order of millions of cubic kilometres. In most cases, the lavas are normally laid down over several million years. They do release massive amounts of gases. The Réunion hotspot produced the Deccan Traps about 65 million years ago. Research continues into the effect of the outpourings and whether they contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous.

Such outpourings are not explosive though fire fountains may occur. Many volcanologists consider that Iceland may be a LIP that is currently being formed. The last major outpouring occurred in 1783–84 from the Laki fissure which is ~40 km long. An estimated 14 km3 of basaltic lava was poured out during the eruption.

So whilst Iceland is not currently classified as a 'supervolcano', mainly because it has no large caldera and has not yet had a major eruptive event, by comparing potentially to the Siberian and Deccan traps they are saying it has the potential to create an extinction event. The traps were both such events.

Just thought you might like to know. Sleep well folks.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Evil face indeed!!! I am feeling a big unrest in looking at the current tremor charts you posted in their current state Here . Evil indeed. - some dropped - other's just certain frequency's - something is amiss!!

Got me in the typing room Puterman - Thanks ever so much for that as I was studing the charts and typing - and thanks for the reminder - hold on tight

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Grrrrreat!

[edit on 20-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Good Morning Moornz - like the way he posts that great big evil demon and signs off - umpf

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just updated my post with some more info

Signs off? - No researching! But I am signing off now as it is 04:40

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
finally, a plumage sighting!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ab918d76dbd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I'd like to remind you and everyone. Try not to cause needless alarm.... while yes it has the high chance of an extinction event; flows of that scale happen over millions of years in most cases.

YES, there are "turning points" where everything goes from pot to fire, and mass eruptions cause immediate doom for many things... but if Iceland leads to an extinction event, it will likely take hundreds of years before we saw full results on the scale prior too. A few cold winters are not enough to insta-kill us all. We would need Laki's eruption to go on for decades before a total 'wipe out' of life was set in motion, per-se.

In short, if Iceland does cause a mass extinction, it will be over hundreds of years. Geologically speaking this is "instant" in the rock records, hence "rapid mass extinction." It does not mean "they all died in a day."

Even if Iceland itself split open into a giant volcanic flow with no land untouched, the immediate affects would be akin to nuclear winter. That is not enough to totally kill off life as we know it... and with human technology, not enough to stop us.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I would like to draw your attention to This . Now while we can go back and forth on causing alarm, we, have a situation here that can go anywhere. As such, knowledge and understanding is the Key! Knowledge and understanding can keep you alive and safe. Be knowledgeable Folks, Be prepared for anything and hope for nothing. I do not want to scare people - I just want to keep you abreast of the situation at hand. So you all are not caught off guard and are prepared. Better to be safe and prepared always for anything.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
I would like to draw your attention to This . Now while we can go back and forth on causing alarm, we, have a situation here that can go anywhere. As such, knowledge and understanding is the Key! Knowledge and understanding can keep you alive and safe. Be knowledgeable Folks, Be prepared for anything and hope for nothing. I do not want to scare people - I just want to keep you abreast of the situation at hand. So you all are not caught off guard and are prepared. Better to be safe and prepared always for anything.
What I see is a small bump or spike if you will,.. What will be of significance to this reading?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I posted this a few minutes ago over on the erruption thread, but obviously, Katla is a volcano all of its own, so it should definately be posted here instead. I noticed the difference between these two shots today. What do you think? In light of the increased activity, it's a little unnerving.

The first one is from this morning, the second from about 15 minutes ago. In comparing the two, you can clearly see that while there was obviously some snowfall that covered the foreground...in the background there is marked, obvious melt and 'blackness'. Whatchya think?

(the red arrow was a small area I thought may have been some steam)

I'm not trying to say anything with this, only to point it out for speculation!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

You really might want to screen shot that now and post!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Okay, here it is right now. What are we looking at? Did I miss something?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

I think my friend that you misunderstand. I do not cry alarm, in fact quite the opposite as you would have witnessed on the thread saying that Hekla was about to or was erupting.

I don't think any of the regulars here would consider me to be an alarmist. The purpose of describing the magma column under Iceland and it's comparison to the column under Yellowstone was to bring to the attention of the readers of this thread the scale of what is there. It was geological interest, nothing more nothing less.

Only yesterday I saw a thread on Yahoo Answers where one person was being asked if Iceland was as big as Yellowstone and replied "Oh NO , it is tiny". The person who asked that question now thinks this the case as they accepted that as the best answer. It is NOT tiny, no way. All I was doing was showing this to people who for the most part, aside from the occasional visitor to the thread, understand the nature of volcanoes - perhaps not from a technical stand point - but are not prone to panic.

..and with human technology, not enough to stop us.

I think you had better go and read up about the effects of large volcanoes on the atmosphere. Pinatubo caused a 0.5 degree drop in temperature world wide and that only erupted for a few days. Imagine what a larger, longer eruption could do. You should also go and read about the Siberian and Deccan traps. Human technology is no match for Mother Nature believe me. Yes extinction may taken centuries, but then again it may not, it could be decades. We really just do not know, but to suggest that puny humans could combat that is just ridiculous.

I said...

the potential to create an extinction event

Note the word potential. In fact I can see no cry of alarm in my post at all. Perhaps you should go back and read it again?

[edit on 21/4/2010 by PuterMan]

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join